Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Have Considered Trading Hart

torts
  • Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mentioned this in his newest injury thread. But I think worth mentioning, Does Corey Hart now become available to all the teams? He should be able to waive his no-trade clause to any team who does ST in FL since he will miss it. Maybe the deal becomes one of those where the Brewers take on some of the payroll to retain his value to prospect attained in trade.

In reality Hart going anywhere I think went dead when Seattle acquired Morse. But, the timing of this surgery just happened to play out with the last OFer I could see a team wanting to trade for more than trading for Hart and now see Hart as the best OF/1b to trade for. I know the injury would make Hart's value less but if a team wants him and wants to QO him, then a deal has to be made before the season starts. So, I'm not going to rule out the potential trade of him.

With the Brewers Payroll where it stands, the team could easily eat up a nice chunk of Hart's salary to entice a team to trade for him, figuring more upside to the cost should Hart's injury reduce his performance on the field.

Who knows? just spicing up this thread some with out there ideas.

Edit add: Teams that could be suitors suddenly: Atlanta,Baltimore,Boston,NY Yankees,Philly,and Tampa Bay that I could see having a place for Hart.

If you really feel no team would lose their 1st rd pick for him, then the Brewers reeeaaalllly need to trade him. It's no lock the Brewers can afford Hart on the reasonable contract. Don't give him a QO next year, he walks Brewers get nothing. Give him the QO he signs at the 14mil year contract. How long do you continue with that?

This will likely play out much like the LaRoche situation did in Wash. And there were a few teams interested in LaRoche so I still believe Hart would be signed as a QO player. The way it stands, especially with Hart's newest injury, the Brewers are in that losing situation. Can't trade him for decent prospects, shouldn't tie him to any long extension with his injury risks, QOers on him will make him a 14mil/yr player and if he doesn't except you're saying no one else signs him so no compensation while he walks anyway.

I actually think Bourne is stuck due to the price tag, his lack of power, age, and if his BA/OB declines he offers you nothing in your lineup. Chone Figgins anyone? Figgins is a recent example of what can happen with extending a player of Bourne's skills long term. SBs are great, but you have to get on base to get SBs. Now, Bourne shouldn't be labeled the next Figgins but, when 14mil/ loss of a pick and worst case scenario pops in your head of a more expensive Figgins. That's scary.

Hart has nothing but the injuries to scare away teams. He's been consistent with his bat for awhile now and still hits for power. He fits the 5/6 spot in a lineup well with what he does.

If the Brewers could sign him for 9-10mil a year I think that's fine. Above 10 and for our club Hart becomes to much of a risk/burden potential in case of injury or decreased bat skills.

Why would we trade him now. I doubt any team gives up a 1st rd pick for him. He'll be stuck on the market like Bourne. We can bring him back at a reasonable contract.

Hart would be signed by a team and they would give up a 1st round pick for him. Swisher was someone no one thought would get picked up and look what happened there.

There was no reason to think Swisher would not be picked up. Hart would be signed by someone, even if he had to settle for just a 2 or 3 year deal. The Brewers would be more than happy to go with him for 1 year as a QO price as well.

Particularly in light of how guys on the bubble seem to be suffering this year in FA it is hard to see Hart having much of a market next offseason if he comes along with having to give up the draft pick. This is different than thinking there is no interest. Perhaps more importantly I do not think the long term health of the franchise is remotely dependent on getting back talent value for Hart. Developing our young starters, and not getting stuck with a bad multi-year contract to a declining player are way more important. Gamel and Morris and Crush Davis on some level all have shots here's to hoping one of them grabs the opportunity.

Archived