Brewer Fanatic

Capuano?

MNBrew

Probably not blazing new ground here, but word (on mlbtraderumors.com) is the Dodgers are shopping Chris Capuano. He was mostly solid for LA last year (12-12, 3.72 ERA, 198 IP, 188 hits, 162 K, 54 BB) & is entering the 2nd yr. of a 2-yr./$10M contract w/ a 2014 option. He's apparently healthy again, too, w/ 31 & 33 starts the past 2 years.

He wouldn't seem to be a major drop off from Ryan Dempster and the price tag would be a whole lot better, leaving plenty of room for filling a few more holes in the BP plus room to spare. I'd imagine if Capuano's available, Melvin's probably already inquired. He may not be the best available option, but he'd fit into the picture pretty logically AND fill a LHP spot some feel is important (albeit not in the BP).

I for one would be thrilled to bring Capuano back, and not just because I like the guy. If he can be had at a reasonable price, he could be a very serviceable back of the rotation guy, and he would require a multi-year contract that could potentially block the younger guys if they continue to prove ready. IIRC, he was also a pretty bright guy and I think he would be a great influence on the younger pitchers with his valuable insight and as a model for how to be a professional and play the game right. I realize that isn't a sole reason to being a guy in, but all else equal it doesn't hurt.

I cant imagine Capuano would cost all that much

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Well, I wouldn't mind having him back. He's shown 180+INN. the last 2 seasons and is a lefty starter. He does give up the HR though and that's a bit scary to take on.

Right now, I'd wait on the FA market to dictate whether to pursue him. Though he could be gone by then. Don't know what Dodgers would want in return for him. I say look in the free agent market to avoid losing an OK prospect. I would think the asking price be a top15 prospect within the organization. Obviously not a top high ceiling prospect but it would be a solid prospect. Cappy is better than Wolf but I feel theres a 2012 Wolf season in Cappy's future. I'd rather not lose a solid prospect for that risk. To make the move it would lead me to believe you are locked in on picking up the option to have for 2years. To trade for him for just 1year and losing a solid prospect doesn't make sense. He's not the Impact pitcher worthy of losing the prospect on 1 year's worth of service for a #4 on a good year #5 on a expected year.

Things change all the time...Chris never wanted to leave here, but the team told him they were committed to Narveson. One guy gets hurt while the other one gets healthy...and here we are.

I'm all for it, if the two sides can reach a deal. I would imagine LA is waiting to see if they can get Greinke before they deal a pitcher, and Milwaukee may be waiting to make sure they can't get a free agent before trading a prospect.

Things change all the time...Chris never wanted to leave here, but the team told him they were committed to Narveson. One guy gets hurt while the other one gets healthy...and here we are.

I'm all for it, if the two sides can reach a deal. I would imagine LA is waiting to see if they can get Greinke before they deal a pitcher, and Milwaukee may be waiting to make sure they can't get a free agent before trading a prospect.

Narveson was making near ML minimum and posted similar numbers to Capuano in 2011 who made roughly 3X as much for NY, then left as a FA. There was no guaranty the Brewers would have had him in 2012 anyway.

BTW, Narveson is still here, and reportedly ready for ST and still a lot cheaper than Capuano. Besides, Capuano's numbers in LA, were fine, but not nearly as good as the last lefty the Brewers plucked out of there, Randy Wolf.

His arm is a ticking time bomb and he'll be 34 next season, why even bother with the risk? He's already had 2 TJ surgeries, no one that I'm aware of has ever come back from 3. The odds against coming back from 2 were extremely long. Let players from the past stay there and let's move forward.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

His arm is a ticking time bomb and he'll be 34 next season, why even bother with the risk? He's already had 2 TJ surgeries, no one that I'm aware of has ever come back from 3. The odds against coming back from 2 were extremely long. Let players from the past stay there and let's move forward.

I don't think this is necessarily a case of bringing a guy back simply because he used to be on the team, he's still a good pitcher, and a 'crafty' lefty to boot. With the market for pitching the way it is, 6M (with a 6M option, 1M buyout in '14) seems to be quite a bargain for a guy who will give you ~190 innings of <4 ERA baseball. This said, I wouldn't give up too much for him, maybe a lower level arm, but bringing Cappy back seems to me like a much better allocation of resources than say signing Dempster.

I try to remain impartial, but I must say, I really do love my 'crafty' southpaws.

Maybe Capuano would rather not come back to Milwaukee?

The fact we wouldn't give him a chance might have left a bad taste in his mouth.

I'm pretty sure the last time he pitched against Milwaukee he was interviewed and didn't sound bitter or anything. Players understand sometimes decisions are made for business reasons and it isn't personal.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The Dodger did just get Ryu signed. You would think they need to thin things out.

Absolutely. And they are not the only team that will have to do some thinning. The guy from the Dodgers I'd like if he's healthy is Lilly. I think he's every bit the pitcher Dempster is when healthy. He's got one year left at $12 million. Dodgers would probably just take the salary relief. Melvin mentioned "March surprise" in his comments recently and I think it's something like that he had in mind.

Both could be free agents next year so I think a Capuano-Hanrahan would make a lot of sense for both clubs. Capuano does have a mutual option for 2014. If Capuano is healthy he should provide as much value as Hanrahan. It would thin the back end of the Pirates' pen, but without some more starting pitching it won't matter who they have at the back of the pen. A top four of Burnett, Wandy, McDonald, and Capuano would give the Pirates a solid top four. Right now they have two big holes at the back of their rotation. I think they would save money and be better with Capuano, because if they don't trade for a starter they will need to sign one if not two SP for their rotation. I also think they would be comfortable using Grilli as closer and Hughes in the eighth.

At the rate the Dodgers are going, both Capuano and Lilly may both be available soon. I like Lilly too, but there's no way I trust his health right now.

If the Dodgers can get someone like Hanrahan for Capuano, I'm sure that's more than the Brewers would be willing to part with.

Archived