Brewer Fanatic

Trade with Orioles?

I like the idea and think there is a match to be found there. Just not sure Melvin will do it.

I concur

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Regarding Corey Hart, I think it was Jim Bowden who had a piece yesterday speculating that Melvin might shop Hart around once Hamilton and others are off the market. It might be a good strategy. Part of me would hate to see him dealt, but I think he could also bring a pretty decent haul in return.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I think counting on Gamel to produce after a full year off, and no significant major league experience is a leap. So unless they get a significant upgrade in pitching back (doubtful with Hart in his final year), or plan on bidding for Hamilton, or at the very least say Lance Berkman, I hold on to Hart.

If Hart can net you 2 solid pitchers (or 1 solid pitcher & 1 low-risk/hopeful pitcher), the savings would likely create some decent fiscal wiggle room if the payroll's really going to be around $80M as DM said (JSOnline over the weekend).

Not saying it's an ideal move or a likely one, but moving Hart would have those ramifications.

It's been discussed a few times before here. On paper, it looks like a decent match. But I don't think the O's have quality pitching (Arrieta, Matsuz, etc. are not very appealing). I know Hart only has one year left but he still has more value than what we'd get in return.

That being said, I would definitely trade Hart if the return was good. I think we have enough offense to cover his loss (I think any combo that includes Gamel/Green/RH would be fine). I think pitching is key and I'm not sold on all our young guys repeating last year's success.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I'd rather center the deal around Gamel. That would probably net us less back in return, but so be it.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

I know Hart only has one year left ...

Which also means the O's would be able to recoup a draft pick if Hart walks in 2014. Which would add some value from the Brewers side of the tranx.

Wouldn't the O's have the money to keep him though?

I know Hart only has one year left ...

Which also means the O's would be able to recoup a draft pick if Hart walks in 2014.

no it doesnt, first they'd have to offer him a qualifying offer which will be north of $13.4 milion it is this year, and then he'd have to decline it in order for the O's to get a supplemental pick between the 1st and 2nd rd. I doubt Hart would pass on taking a paycheck like that if they offered it to him..

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Given what free agents are getting these days and assuming a relatively healthy 2013 from Corey, I see no way he accepts a QO. He is three years younger and has been far more consistent/productive than Adam LaRoche who is seeking and likely to receive a multi year deal.

I think Corey gets taken for granted to some extent, while not an elite hitter he has ranked 24th in wOBA, 27th in wRC+ and 20th in batting runs in all of MLB over the course of the last 3 seasons.

I really don't have much interest in trading Corey Hart unless someone really blew me away. I too feel he is VASTLY underappreciated for his contributions to this team.

I feel the same way, and actually started a post about it some time ago. I always get the feeling that Corey is underrated by a lot of posters here, but at the same time many of them overrate his trade value. At best, Hart is going to bring some pitching prospects, and the Brewers have enough of them right now. Maybe he could be flipped for a MLB starter, but I highly doubt that it'd be anyone who would make a big impact.

I'm in for locking Corey up for 2-3 more years if his demands are reasonable. Better that than wasting money on some C-list starting pitcher like Dempster, Lohse, etc.

As long as people aren't basing the idea that he's under-appreciated on whether or not posters suggest trading him, I won't begrude the opinion. Honestly I don't think he is, but many here had some impatience with him when he was still developing as a younger hitter.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived