Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Burke Badenhop from Rays for Raul Mondesi Jr.

trwi7
If this trade turns out half as good as the last son of a former major leaguer traded, I'll be happy.

you talkin' 'bout cutter?

Yeah, I guess I probably could have been a little more specific.

well I hope this trade is more than half as good as the cutter trade because morgan was basically invisible this last year, and lets hope that Burkey doesnt explode in his second year!!!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do like the move by Doug. got a guy that could potentially produce in a 6/7 inning role for us. he had a 3 era in the AL east which isnt easy by any stretch and he doesn't walk guys which is great. hoping to still pick up 2 or 3 more guys, 1 bigger name to set up and atleast 1 lefty and then one more guy like badenhop.

Sinkerballer/groundball-inducing righty. Not as bad so far in his career against LHB as Loe, and in general seems like a moderate upgrade over Loe.

Under salary control for two more seasons.

EDIT: Here is a good FanGraphs interview piece w/Badenhop. Very statistically-inclined guy (economics degree-holder), and very much likes defensive shifting like the Brewers employ.

Speaking of Fangraphs, I just found a FanGraphs Podcast series on TuneIn Radio. TuneIn Radio is a radio app on Droids. Just an FYI to everyone who loves Fangraphs.

I wouldn't put too much stock into moving out of the AL East. Those New York and Boston offenses were not that good last year, and because he is a reliever, he won't get the benefit of the pitcher hitting 9th anyway. If anything, his job is going to be harder here I think because of lesser quality infield defense and our manager not using him as well as Tampa Bay would.

Actually I'm not really convinced he's any better than Loe to be honest.

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

I wouldn't put too much stock into moving out of the AL East. Those New York and Boston offenses were not that good last year, and because he is a reliever, he won't get the benefit of the pitcher hitting 9th anyway. If anything, his job is going to be harder here I think because of lesser quality infield defense and our manager not using him as well as Tampa Bay would.

Actually I'm not really convinced he's any better than Loe to be honest.

Then put it this way. He is much cheaper than Loe.

Yeah, I guess I probably could have been a little more specific.

I thought for sure you were talking about the Tony Gwynn Jr. for Jody Gerut trade. :)

Now why do you have to be bringing up stuff like that? I completely forgot about that.....now it's in my mind again. Thanks!!

Hmmm, good/bad trade reads all over on this one. You look through Badenhop's last 4 years and its 60-70ip as reliever. no more than 6HRs given up on any season. The 3.03 is probably better than expected as his BBs were down. But in the big scheme of things. He would appear to provide the club with a 65-72ip reliever who is a 3.4-4.1era guy. The fact he's a groundballer pitcher with good Righty numbers leads me to see him as the 5/6/7th inn guy who may come in for the starter inheriting runners on base about to face a righty in an attempt to induce a double play ball and get the starter out of the jam. No injury problems, been around 5years now, cheap and added control, I just see the pickup as someone who won't be as bad as what the crew endured last season. Talk about Loe comparisons but Loe has had awful years mixed with good. He'd served double digit HRs, had poor bb rates and then was something special.

I take this as a B grade RP who probably remains B grade throughout. Brewers Pen last year had no one that was just consistent. That's what I look at with Badenhop is he's just been realiable. Had a better year last year and who knows? Maybe the better year (being due to control/less BBs) is what can be expected as a 30yr old who figured it out.

Now in regards to trading away Jr. ......

He's 20 now had a little improvement but not much. Mondesi may catch on at some point but you feel like it was going to be years for it to happen. .241 BA at low A/Rk ball? MLB players who are All-Stars Rake at every level immediately from numbers I've seen. He's had 3 years now and nothing shows raking at all. For someone being the maybe 20/20 potential if ever clicking? His SB numbers are awful. Dykstra at least shown speed throughout and put in a decent year. Guess what I'm getting to is, in all likelihood Brewers have a RP at least for a player likely to never make it. I'll take that trade any day.

Archived