Brewer Fanatic

Twins Trade Denard Span to Nats for SP Alex Meyer

jjgott

Span's hardly mediocre unless you never see him play. The greater issue with him over the past couple years has been staying healthy. When he's been healthy, he's been a very solid contributor. He's a plus-defender, a decent baserunner, & a pretty good non-power hitter. When he's struggled the past couple years, it's most typically been either when he's playing hurt or trying to re-find his groove after DL time.

I wasnt even aware the Nationals were in the sweepstakes for Hamilton?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

In this morning's Washington Post it says that the Nats will determine who plays which corner outfield spot between Harper and Werth in spring training. Kind of an interesting approach. Both will be starters but neither will have a set position until exhibition games begin in a few months. (I don't have time for a link, sitting here in DC reading a hard-copy of the newspaper)

He is, ya know, 20.

Sure. At age 20 Griffey already looked like one of the best CF in baseball. Trout easily should have won a gold glove etc. Fielding is not generally a stat that improves with age unless a player is completely new at a position.

I definitely like this move for the Nationals. They probably overproduced more than any team in baseball last year but with another year of growth from their young players and a couple moves they can actually repeat.

He is, ya know, 20.

Sure. At age 20 Griffey already looked like one of the best CF in baseball. Trout easily should have won a gold glove etc. Fielding is not generally a stat that improves with age unless a player is completely new at a position.

I definitely like this move for the Nationals. They probably overproduced more than any team in baseball last year but with another year of growth from their young players and a couple moves they can actually repeat.

You list two greats as examples?

Anyways, Harper is new to the OF, he was primarily a C coming up as an amateur. He has, what, 200 career pro games at various OF positions?

Now, I think he is a natural RF, so this discussion really does not matter anyways. Just thought it was a bit weird to get on a 19 year old rookie for taking bad routes.

Just thought it was a bit weird to get on a 19 year old rookie for taking bad routes.

It isn't just about bad routes. He completely loses flyballs on a regular basis. He doesn't look like a CF at all when you watch him, I think expecting him to play CF would be a huge mistake. His age really doesn't matter much in that statement.

Just thought it was a bit weird to get on a 19 year old rookie for taking bad routes.

It isn't just about bad routes. He completely loses flyballs on a regular basis. He doesn't look like a CF at all when you watch him, I think expecting him to play CF would be a huge mistake. His age really doesn't matter much in that statement.

Well according to you, it was a huge mistake for the Nats to call him up in the first place.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Didn't Harper just start playing the OF? Yes, let's just assume you have to move a 20 year old who has been playing OF for like 2 years out of CF. Seems logical.

Maybe it shouldn't be assumed that Harper can't play CF, but if you get a better defensive player, it seems logical to move the worse defender to a corner OF spot. Aoki could play CF, but with Gomez around, Aoki plays RF.

With Harper's arm, he could be the best RF in baseball, and being "new" to the OF, it could take a lot of pressure off of him to have him play RF instead of CF.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived