Brewer Fanatic

Reds sign Broxton for 3 years

torts

Reds, Jonathan Broxton Agree To Deal

By Zach Links [November 28 at 7:35am CST]

WEDNESDAY, 7:35am: The three-year deal is worth $21MM, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports (Twitter links). The deal will pay Broxton $4MM in 2013, $7MM in 2014 and $9MM in 2015. It also includes a $9MM club option for 2016 with a $1MM buyout. If the Reds trade Broxton, the guarantee grows to $22MM, with the 2016 option becoming a mutual option with a $2MM buyout.

TUESDAY, 11:56pm: The Reds and Jonathan Broxton have reached agreement on a multi-year deal, sources told Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com. The deal is believed to be for at least three years and an announcement is expected on Wednesday. The Jet Sports Management client is ranked 45th on MLBTR's list of top 50 free agents.

Broxton is expected to serve as the Reds closer, enabling them to shift Aroldis Chapman to the starting rotation. The 28-year-old posted a 2.48 ERA with 7.0 K/9, 2.6 BB/9 and a 53.8% ground ball rate in 58 relief innings last season. Broxton was limited to just 14 games in 2011 but underwent successful arthroscopic elbow surgery in September of that year and had an average fastball velocity of 94.7 mph this past season.

The Reds were also said to be looking at a pair of free agent relievers coming back from injury in Joakim Soria and Ryan Madson. However, Madson was scooped up earlier today by the Angels when the two sides agreed to a one-year deal.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#FfeVv1zEuRlcXVrK.99

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

so the closer market is pretty much locked in with Madson and Broxton deals... doesnt really do much for bullpen arms though. I dont think any mid-relievers have signed for much yet...

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

him and League, you're right. League got 3/22 with LAD

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

I dont know... the brewers ended up with 500,000 more tickets sold at home than Cincy did...

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

This seems very crazy to me. The Reds are now locked in at $75 mm (11 players) for 2013 and $63 mm (7 players) for 2014. That is even before Votto's deal balloons. You can bet your house that Chapman is going to opt out of his deal after 2014, so maybe they are going all in for 2 years. Latos, Cueto and Chapman (assuming he converts well to a starter) could be a top 5 top of the rotation, but who knows what you're going to get from Arroyo/Baily/Leake. Why not spend the $ on an outfielder and try Arredondo or someone as closer?
Formerly Andersoc420

Archived