Brewer Fanatic

"This Week in Baseball" fans!!!

TURBO

If you remember this as a kid, I bet you'd be interested in this:

http://www.amazon.com/This-Week-Baseball-Season-One/dp/B00A2YFPXQ/ref=pd_ys_ir_all_474

I am deciding if I want to start the series or not. What an absolute joy it would be to travel down memory lane when baseball and all the stars of the day meant so much to me as a kid..

This would truly be a nostalgic journey...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I think it may be still on the air. Last I saw it, Ozzie Smith was host, but to me it had lost all the mystique from back in the days where Mel Allen was host and there wasn't wall to wall 24/7 coverage on the Internet and a host of TV channels. Back then, the show kind of made the boxscore names/pictures on a baseball card come to life because these guys weren't on TV very often. It's kind of ironic that Ozzie was hosting, because TWIB definitely helped build his legend back in the early days with the highlight reels. The Padres certainly weren't on the Game of the Week very often. Heck, back then, the Brewers weren't even on the tube that often.

It was still on the air in 2011, the host for the last few years was Buzz Brainard. I couldn't find any references to 2012 episodes and did find one blog that said it was cancelled after the 2011 season due to poor ratings but I don't have 100% confirmation of that.

The show ran from 1977 to at least 2011. I DVR'd a few episodes to watch over the last few years, I caught one episode where they talked about the Brewers rise and their stint on Days of Our Lives, also remember a segment on Fielder getting to 50 HRs.

I watched that show many Saturdays as a kid after cartoons but prior to the game of the day along with the Baseball Bunch with Johnny Bench. I still remember Ozzie Smith on the Baseball Bunch showing how he threw a tennis ball against a wall to work on his fielding so being a little league SS I immediately starting firing tennis balls against the side of the garage driving my Dad who was working out there a little nuts.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

From the Wikipedia page:

After its original syndicated run from 1977 to 1998, and gaining a revival in 2000 (which moved to Fox as a lead-in to its Saturday MLB coverage, TWiB was discontinued at the end of the 2011 Major League Baseball season, replaced by the new program MLB Player Poll.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Week_in_Baseball

I watched that show many Saturdays as a kid after cartoons but prior to the game of the day along with the Baseball Bunch with Johnny Bench. I still remember Ozzie Smith on the Baseball Bunch showing how he threw a tennis ball against a wall to work on his fielding so being a little league SS I immediately starting firing tennis balls against the side of the garage driving my Dad who was working out there a little nuts.

I watched both shows back to back religiously. I remember the exact episode you are talking about and did same thing.

I remember how awesome it was to see Ted Simmons on an episode. He showed how he was ambidextrous by writing his name on a chalkboard with both hands. It was so so so cool to see a Brewer on a national TV show back then.

I don't remember that episode (I didn't watch The Baseball Bunch as much as I did TWIB - I was in High School by the time Baseball Bunch started airing). However, I spent hours throwing a tennis ball against our garage. However, I had more fun working on range than technique. I would throw from an angle, range to get it, then make an off balanced throw back at the garage and see if I could range all the way back the other way. I would try to see how many times I could go back and forth without an error.

That video is awesome. The players appear to be enthusiastic about doing the show and doing all the "shtick" (Ozzie was really willing to play up the whole "Wizard" thing). Also, love to see the kids all wearing jeans and white tennis shoes. My son refers to white tennis shoes as "Old man shoes".

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I could be wrong, but isn't this series still going? Or maybe it's a similar show under a new name.

The 2000–2011 version was a different show under the same name. :)

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Hard to imagine today's players doing this kind of thing...

I didn't want to sound too much like an old curmudgeon..."When I was a kid players were more respectful and polite...blah...blah"...but I was thinking the exact same thing.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived