Brewer Fanatic

RIP Marvin Miller

burnzy24

Eh. I never cared for the guy personally. Not that I loved many of the owners from his era either, but baseball is an escape and entertainment and I could do without the acrimony and labor strife and certainly the small markets had a better chance to compete pre Marvin Miller.

certainly the small markets had a better chance to compete pre Marvin Miller.

I think the success or lack thereof for smaller market teams has more to do with the inequality of revenues from TV contracts and not from the concept of free agency itself.

I didn't realize he wasn't in the HOF until today when I read this. He was one of the most integral figures in MLB history.

Is this just old-fashioned writers who hold a grudge against the guy for changing the face of MLB? Do young sportswriters just not understand who this guy was? I just can't imagine voting against this guy on a HOF ballot.

Without Curt Flood and Miller, ballplayers are serfs. Marvin Miller didn't invent labor strife in baseball; he just made it two-sided. You can argue about the extent of change in baseball economics since the 60s, but you can't seriously argue that baseball economics didn't need to change. He belongs in the HOF, and I think Funketown nailed the (bad) reasons he isn't there.

Surprising news to me. Strangely enough, I have to admit that I had thought that he had died several years ago. At the same time, I was surprised to know that he was as old as he was.

Anyway, there is a book called 'Lords of the Realm', that I remember being very good. Very heavy on Marvin Miller content, and it details the beginnings of free agency in the 70's along with the economics of baseball at the time. Sounds dry, but it was a very entertaining read.

Anyway, there is a book called 'Lords of the Realm', that I remember being very good. Very heavy on Marvin Miller content, and it details the beginnings of free agency in the 70's along with the economics of baseball at the time. Sounds dry, but it was a very entertaining read.

It's owned at my library. Maybe I'll make that next on my list after I finish my current baseball book. Thanks for the tip!

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

certainly the small markets had a better chance to compete pre Marvin Miller.

I think the success or lack thereof for smaller market teams has more to do with the inequality of revenues from TV contracts and not from the concept of free agency itself.

Bingo. I don't understand how rock stars and actors are idolized for parlaying their (sometimes) mediocre talents in $20+ million annual payouts, but we begrudge baseball players, largely entertainers who do what only a handful can do in this world, the salaries they earn.

the owners in the 1994-95 labor dispute are responsible for the disparities among markets in baseball. So is brewerfan.net hero Bud Selig who has always caved to the Steinbrenners, Lorias, and Henrys of the game.

I'll second the recommendation on this book. An outstanding and interesting read. It sounds like a pretty slow, dull read but very enlightening. I picked it up a few years ago and couldn't put it down at times.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

The Curt Flood biography is also a good read on the labor strife. Flood was a remarkable guy, as was Miller.

Is this just old-fashioned writers who hold a grudge against the guy for changing the face of MLB? Do young sportswriters just not understand who this guy was? I just can't imagine voting against this guy on a HOF ballot.

The BBWAA has never had Miller on a ballot. He's been considered by a couple of Veterans Committee formats. I think he should be in the HOF for sure.

Agreed. I think he should be in the Hall.

For those of you that have not seen it, I highly recommend the Curious Case of Curt Flood, an HBO production. Quite educational.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/11/21/sports/22rhoden2_650.JPG

RIP, Marvin.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Archived