Brewer Fanatic

Greinke Speculation

Have you seen the reports of Greinke possibly getting 150 million?

They're talking about him getting the biggest contract any right-handed pitcher has ever gotten...and since Sabathia is the lefty whose gotten the most overall, gosh, our local franchise should at least qualify for a free toaster if this comes to pass.

Have you seen the reports of Greinke possibly getting 150 million?

They're talking about him getting the biggest contract any right-handed pitcher has ever gotten...and since Sabathia is the lefty whose gotten the most overall, gosh, our local franchise should at least qualify for a free toaster if this comes to pass.

Yea I saw that on MLBTR... My guess is the Dodgers give Zack that $150 mil.

Nice trio they would have:

Kershaw

Greinke

Beckett (If he stays healthy)

So if the Dodgers are out and the Angels are supposedly out, would the Brewer get back in at $120 million for 6 years?

The Dodgers are not out as of right now and the Angels are still in play but I don't believe either will sign Greinke. I believe the Rangers are going to be the team that comes away with Greinke possibly at some point during the winter meetings or just after.

Dodgers out? Huh

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN

The Dodgers met with Zack Greinke Thursday. Industry expectation is that they will offer him Long Beach and parts of Bakersfield today.

Jayson Stark Dec. 1

Zack Greinke, RHP: Fifteen people who took part in this survey took a guess at where Greinke would sign -- and 14 of them picked the Dodgers, maybe as soon as this week. But the 15th, an agent, predicted he would go back to the Angels, using this logic:

"I think the Angels are acting like they're out because they don't want to get in a bidding war with the Dodgers. So they'll let the Dodgers go to their top dollar -- and then come in over that. They've got too much money invested in that team, and not enough pitching. They can't let him get away."

But if that's really the Angels' strategy, a second agent said, it's dangerous: "They're [competing] with a behemoth, in the Dodgers," he said. "They're the ultimate Goliath. So you can't play possum if you want the player. You've either got to be aggressive or you'll get

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heyman/21203489/could-nationals-threaten-to-unseat-dodgers-rangers--angels-in-greinke-derby

Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times writes that the Angels "aren't acting like a team confident in re-signing Zack Greinke."

ESPN's Buster Olney reported that there's a "good chance" Greinke's new contract is worth more than CC Sabathia's record $161 million deal, and there's been heavy speculation that the Angels won't be meeting his asking price. They traded for Tommy Hanson and signed closer Ryan Madson this week, and could seek other free agent options for their starting rotation. The Angels have expressed interest in both Ryan Dempster and Shaun Marcum this offseason.

I have said it since he was traded he end up with the Crew,Stating that until he signs elsewhere.

Honestly, there is really no reason to believe this. Obviously you never say never but I say there's about a 1% chance it happens.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Greinke is going to probably get $25 million a year. I bet for six years, with an option. The two LA clubs have the money and need. Revenues are rising. Especially for the big market teams as they ink big cable deals. One of the teams will justify the expense.

Plus, any team can look forward to 2014 and see that no pitcher like Greinke (healthy, young and successful) will be available on the free agent market (a big bounce back by Lincecom might do it, but that's about it).

This is the chance to lock in a top of the rotation starter. Someone will do it.

Could Greinke turn around and say he loved Milwaukee so much he'll play for 20% less? Sure. But he could have done that last year, and did not. Yes, maybe the experience in LA will make him appreciate Milwaukee more. But the odds of Zach in Brewtown is microscopic. I'd love to see it, but I don't see it happening.

MLBTR's latest on Greinke

The Dodgers are pessimistic about their chances of signing Greinke, Mark Saxon of ESPNLosAngeles.com reports. GM Ned Colletti had a memorable response when asked if he was on the doorstep of signing the free agent right-hander. "We're not on the front lawn. ... We're barely out of the car at the curb. It's better than driving around the neighborhood looking for the house. We know where the house is located. We just can't seem to get out of the car."

Earlier updates:

Many trade and free agent possibilities are on hold as teams wait to see where Greinke will sign, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports. Greinke knows the Dodgers and Rangers are serious about signing him, but he now appears to be uncertain about his next step. The Rangers would prefer to sign Greinke, trade Michael Young to Philadelphia and acquire Justin Upton, Nightengale reports.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

$150 million for Greinke is crazy money. I realize that timing is everything but there's no way Greinke should be the pitcher with the 2nd largest contract in MLB history.

But I will say that given how things are playing out, I'm ecstatic that the Brewers got Jean Segura and two pitching prospects for him.

Bet it ends up in the 148 million range. Anyone think that 6th year might be a club/player option. Said all along Dodgers were the team that would get him. Loved the chances more when reports were out there that they were starting to think about going in a diff. direction. Should be great in that home park!

Archived