Brewer Fanatic

fan spring training jersey contest

patrickgpe
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In what I would call an upset, the beer barrel man jersey won. I'm very surprised. I don't think it's a bad design but I'm not wowed by it either.

I wasn't wowed by any of them. So wouldn't have been surprised by any of the 3 winning. I like the barrel man hat on this one. That's about it though. I did vote for it.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

pardon my french but this contest was ********, maybe bc i hated all the designs and not thrilled about any of the finalists. if indeed the brewers want to break from their mold and come up with a new fresh design, i guess this is a possible way. the jersey theyll be temporarily touting in march 2013 i think will be first and last scene in march 2013. but i guess on the brightside, everyone did have a chance to come up with a creative scheme and the organization took full notice!

As good as the Brewers FO usually is in marketing this team, I have to say that they have been generally underwhelming when it comes to listening to the majority of the fans who want a more permanent return to ball and glove logo. This contest was the perfect opportunity to introduce another uniform using that logo and instead they chose to further muddy the waters of the Brewers uniform identity by choosing a look that has no reference to the m with barley or the ball and glove logo.

What is this team's identity? Seems like the players prefer the m with barley, the fans want ball and glove and the front office wants something different.

Well, to be fair it was based on a fan vote.

...but the fan vote only counted as ONE vote out of 8 votes...

In reality, the fans did not truly get to pick the winning design

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

i think the brewers made the mistake of allowing all entries to be viewed. i don't see how any of the finalists were the best 3 submitted. that being said, the fans and panel got it right. this was the only one that had any originality and was the best of the 3. not sure what it means for the brewers logo / uniforms moving forward though.

Aren't these jerseys only going to be worn once? Who cares if they picked the ugliest ones? Seems like some of the response here has been way overblown. The only people who have to deal with this consequence are the players who are playing in that one random spring training game.

I do agree with Warning Track Power that there seems to be some identity crisis going on with this team, but that always seems to happen in sports with teams that have iconic retro jerseys (see Chargers and their powder blues). I think the Brewers have done an alright job keeping the ball and glove around although I know some people hate it.

Where did the other 7 votes come from?

From WTP's post (#75) in this thread (via the Jon & Cait blog):

In addition to the fan vote, a panel of voters including Axford, Brewers President of Baseball Operations and General Manager Doug Melvin and Brewers Chief Operating Officer Rick Schlesinger will judge the finalists. The fan vote will stay open until Tuesday, January 22 at 10 a.m. CT and will count as one vote among the panel of eight judges. Other judges include Brewers Senior Director – Merchandise Branding Jill Aronoff, and representatives from Majestic, New Era and the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Thanks, I guess that will teach me just to skim an article. That actually makes it sound like 1/9. I always find it lame when they have a fan vote and just lump it in as 1 vote in a committee like this.

As for which logo to go with, I have a hard time having an opinion either way. I just wish they would pick 1 and go with it.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Aren't these jerseys only going to be worn once? Who cares if they picked the ugliest ones? Seems like some of the response here has been way overblown. The only people who have to deal with this consequence are the players who are playing in that one random spring training game.

I do agree with Warning Track Power that there seems to be some identity crisis going on with this team, but that always seems to happen in sports with teams that have iconic retro jerseys (see Chargers and their powder blues). I think the Brewers have done an alright job keeping the ball and glove around although I know some people hate it.

they are wearing them twice, one game at maryvalle and the saturday exhibition game at Miller Park.

Well, to be fair it was based on a fan vote.

...but the fan vote only counted as ONE vote out of 8 votes...

In reality, the fans did not truly get to pick the winning design

OK, I didn't realize that. I still don't think this is a big identity crisis.

In reality, having as many jerseys as possible for the team to sell is a good thing. More merchandising opportunities equals more revenue.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Community Moderator

I think it looks sharp. I wouldn't want to see it as a permanent thing, but that wasn't the point of the contest.

http://news.sportslogos.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/570x375xbrewers.jpg.pagespeed.ic.oTF3CA8JBa.jpg

I would've preferred the full body barrelman on the hat. The close-up of the face is a little bizarre to me.

Agreed. I love the full Barrelman logo but just the head makes it look like an early mock-up of the Tin Man for the Wizard of Oz.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Not allowed to vote as I am outside the US, when do the pole's close?

Do you live in the north pole or something?

Australia:)

Man, I've always wanted to take a trip to Australia. Where is your favorite part of Australia? Just curious.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I think my ideal uniform now would be based off this uniform. The off white (like the giants) with that blue and then more of a mustard yellow (not bright, not metalic). Not totally sold on the lettering but something like that maybe, barrel man on the sleeve and then the ball and glove logo on the hat. I think that would be super sharp!!

Archived