Brewer Fanatic

Giancarlo Stanton: Where will he wind up going?

So this is the topic that I haven't been able to get out of my head.

If you're Jon Daniels, do you offer up Jurickson Profar? If you're Larry Beinfest/Michael Hill, is Profar straight-up enough to pull the trigger?

I'd also guess Boston & Oakland (along with any team that has talent stashed away on the farm) are frantically trying to put together offers.

What are your thoughts?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Whats the point of having Stanton if you know you are going to be horrible for a minimum of 2 years? Plus they just pissed the guy off. I wouldn't be all that shocked if he does get traded. I also wouldn't be shocked if it took far less than people would think. I bet if we offered Hunter Morris, Wily Peralta, and Jimmy Nelson you might get them interested. Throw Aoki in there too since you don't really need him with Stanton in RF.

Even though I don't think OF is a need for the Brewers, most definitely, if it came down to throwing money at Hamilton versus trading Aoki, Peralta and Morris (or something like that) for Stanton, it's a no brainer. Stanton. Hands down. But, is that really where the Brewers have a need? I'd say if you're going to trade, you trade for pitching, but so is everyone else.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Stanton is probably the best young power hitter in baseball. The guy just turned 23 a week ago. He hit 37 HR in only 123 game. He's a masher. He's got four years left before free agency. It will take 2-3 premium prospects to get him. The team that gets him will have to have that kind of talent available. And because a team is going to seriously deplete their farm system of impact guys, that team who makes the deal should be stocked to be playoff contenders for the next few years. That doesn't leave a lot of teams. Here's the best guesses:

Texas: have three excellent prospects: Profor and Olt and Martin Perez. Stanton would fit perfectly in at 1B for them. He'd rake at their ballpark.

St. Louis: A lot of options. Oscar Tavaras, Shelby Miller, Koltan Wong and Carlos Martinez are all top 50 type prospects. The key is where do you play him. The Cards could ship back Allen Craig, but I'm not sure the Marlins want a major league player back. The Cards could also trade Craig (or Beltran) to another team to fill other needs). No matter, lots of options.

Red Sox: the Sox could really use Stanton. Put him at 1B and watch him hit 50 HR. Start with some combination of Xander Bogaerts, Matt Barnes and Jackie Bradley. It would be tough to give up that much, but Boston would love to have a guy like Stanton. Plus they'd have the money to sign him after four years. Boston has a lot of holes on their team, but they could supplement their roster with some free agent moves.

There are some teams with a lot of good talent - Baltimore, Seattle, Arizona for example - who could give up several top 100 guys. But these teams already have a dearth of talent, and it probably doesn't work to give up that many young, controllable players.

Some other teams could really use Stanton, but they don't quite have the talent. Dodgers, San Francisco and Atlanta all have some good prospects, but not great ones. They have guys who fall in the 50-100 range, rather than the top 50.

Whats the point of having Stanton if you know you are going to be horrible for a minimum of 2 years? Plus they just pissed the guy off. I wouldn't be all that shocked if he does get traded. I also wouldn't be shocked if it took far less than people would think. I bet if we offered Hunter Morris, Wily Peralta, and Jimmy Nelson you might get them interested. Throw Aoki in there too since you don't really need him with Stanton in RF.

I'd try and take off Peralta and add Prince and Jed Bradley and see if there is any interest. I also heard a rumor that Melvin was contacted about Nolasco and Logan Morrison.

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

I think I would much rather pay what it takes in prospects to get Stanton than I would pay what it takes to get Josh Hamilton.

Except that after writing the check to Hamilton you'd....still have the prospects.

Sure, but if it's going to take 20 million or more a year for Hamilton, that seriously hinders you from addressing other areas of need. So you trade the prospects for Stanton, and you'll have him for another 4 years in his prime (which is close to how long you'll have Hamilton, except he's leaving his prime) and you still have the financial flexibility to address team needs. So, if I had to choose between one of the two, signing Hamilton (which it seems the Brewers for whatever reason are considering) or trading for Stanton, I'd choose trading for Stanton every time.

Follow me on Twitter

I get its the offseason, and there isnt much to talk about, but there is way to many threads on this forum about adding big name bats. WE DO NOT NEED ANY BATS!!! The crew was third in the mlb in runs scored and that is with Lucroy out for months and Rick having the worst year of his career.

Add a solid #2 and get some bullpen help and they contend for the division.

I get its the offseason, and there isnt much to talk about, but there is way to many threads on this forum about adding big name bats. WE DO NOT NEED ANY BATS!!! The crew was third in the mlb in runs scored and that is with Lucroy out for months and Rick having the worst year of his career.

Not saying this is correct but there's a school of thought the Brew may not be able to add a #2 starter, I agree the bullpen needs to be revamped, bullpen spots are not terribly expensive though. If the right situation comes up another bat doesn't hurt, if you can add a RF/1B, seems to be the only open spot maybe you look at it. If Josh Hamilton says I will do 5/75 with you guys, I would have a hard time passing on that.

With the emergence of the young starters the Brew are not backed into the corner despertaely needing starters (see Marcum and Greinke trades).

GO BREW

This topic isn't about adding a bat, it's about where people think Stanton will wind up

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

This topic isn't about adding a bat, it's about where people think Stanton will wind up

Read the posts. It started as a where will Stanton go thread and turned into a how can the Brewers get Stanton thread.

TLB, great question. Have to assume the Marlins are receiving plenty of inquiries on Stanton.

The Red Sox seem to make a lot of sense. Boston could afford to put together a very enticing prospect package. I could see 2-3 players among the group of Bogaerts, Barnes, Bradley Jr., Garin Cecchini or Webster getting the deal done. Red Sox might not be willing to part with Bogaerts though.

The D-Backs could be an interesting trade partner. They have young pitching to offer or they could even get Justin Upton involved in a potential three team trade to acquire Stanton.

The Yankees would be able to put together a package highlighted by some solid prospects (Gary Sanchez, Mason Williams, Manny Banuelos). Makes a lot of sense for the Yankees as a way to significantly upgrade an aging lineup immediately without adding luxury tax. Stanton is a guy I really enjoy watching play, but man would I hate him in Yankee pinstripes.

Regarding the idea of the Brewers making a push for Stanton, I just don't see any realistic hope they have the young talent it would take to make a deal.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

TLB, great question. Have to assume the Marlins are receiving plenty of inquiries on Stanton.

The Red Sox seem to make a lot of sense. Boston could afford to put together a very enticing prospect package. I could see 2-3 players among the group of Bogaerts, Barnes, Bradley Jr., Garin Cecchini or Webster getting the deal done. Red Sox might not be willing to part with Bogaerts though.

The D-Backs could be an interesting trade partner. They have young pitching to offer or they could even get Justin Upton involved in a potential three team trade to acquire Stanton.

The Yankees would be able to put together a package highlighted by some solid prospects (Gary Sanchez, Mason Williams, Manny Banuelos). Makes a lot of sense for the Yankees as a way to significantly upgrade an aging lineup immediately without adding luxury tax. Stanton is a guy I really enjoy watching play, but man would I hate him in Yankee pinstripes.

Regarding the idea of the Brewers making a push for Stanton, I just don't see any realistic hope they have the young talent it would take to make a deal.

I agree on the Brewers and Red Sox but disagree with the Yankees and Dbacks. The Rays actually make perfect sense here as they have young pitching that are both MLB ready and a few years away. The Rays also have a couple of interesting positional prospects. Moore/Hellickson and another prospect like Cobb or Mahtook should be enough for Stanton. The Rays need a power bat and the Marlins need to be more cheap again.

I think Arizona could make sense, although they have a bit of a crowded OF at the time. If you're the Marlins why stop now? I think he gets moved. Unfortunately, the Yankees make a lot of sense and probably have enough to get him if they wanted. I have no idea what it would take to get him but he's a generational type talent who's just getting started in this league. Put him out there and watch the bidding begin!

Archived