Brewer Fanatic

Blue Jays close to acquiring Josh Johnson, Jose Reyes in "epic trade"

trwi7
If Mayor Regalado wants to see the Marlins competitive, he should like this trade.

Based on what? The best prospect Miami received projects as a #3 starter under the best case. They gave up something like 8 wins next year for maybe a cheap few wins in 2 to 3 years. Yes the money evens it out, but to pretend that Miami received some large talent influx is just wrong.

And there you have why I made the comment I did. You can't just gloss over the money.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
I think a lot of people in Miami and all over the baseball world would be okay with this trade if it didn't look like Miami was going to have a $40-50 million payroll this year. I'm not saying they have to go out and throw money at Hamilton and Greinke or something like that but if they would sign a couple of free agents like Edwin Jackson and B.J. Upton or something like that it would make it look like they're at least trying to put a respectable team out there.

It just looks bad when you say you need a new stadium to compete financially, get taxpayer money for it, go out and spend a bunch on free agents and then trade those free agents less than a year after signing them. If they were going to trade them, the least they could've done was trade them individually. I think you would have gotten a lot more if you traded these players individually instead of as one group, especially this early in the offseason. We're what, about 2.5 weeks past the World Series ending?

Where there's smoke, there's fire. People would be ok if the Marlins carefully traded away each of their players and made sure to get a good return. But they didn't--and the reason they didn't is because they don't give a --- about the fans and are just interesting in making money. If they hired someone with baseball expertise maybe they would have signed better deals in the first place. And the refusal to give no trade clauses? They may end up having to throw money at a high-priced free agent to satisfy the discontent, but if they do, I assure you it was not their original intention. Any attempt to blame Marlins fans for "only" 2.2 million fans showing up is just plain wrong, especially because of Ozzie's comments and the fact that the team was terrible from day 1.

My opinion is that even if 3 million fans showed up and even if the team made the playoffs, Loria would have dumped the contracts as soon as things went south--probably in summer 2013 or fall 2013-2014 anyway. It just happens that their opportunity came sooner. Loria knows like everyone else that players decline in their mid-30s.

Also, kudos to ESPN for properly conveying this. There should be outrage because the entire system of revenue sharing is being put on the line. ESPN is actually quite tame compared to some of the media in South Florida that is instructing the fans to boycott.

Good for the Jays. They could have gone into next year with a rather competitive team and finished 4th or 5th in the division. Now they should at least content for a wild card spot. The AL East is ridiculous.

I dont understand the jays' plan at all. At this point, they are not a contender, and they've added a ridiculous amount of money.

Now they can win 87 games and finish 3rd their division. Anthopoulos is so overrated As a gm IMO.

The Jays are as much a contender as any other AL East team at the moment. As the off season progresses the Yankees will pass them for sure but the Orioles were mostly just a fluke, the Rays are sliding at this point and the Red Sox are a mess.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think the Jays have made themselves contenders for a couple of years. The AL East is weaker. Boston has a lot of holes. The Yankees are getting old. The Rays and Orioles have solid young teams, but each have their warts.

The Jays are not perfect by any means. But with a little luck, they can come out on top the next couple of years. After that it gets more difficult, as Boston and NY have so much money to throw at their problems.

It's a risky move for Toronto, as they are taking on a lot of salary. But they don't seem to have given up that great of young players. Taking on the salary seems to be the big thing. With Boston and NY waning a bit, they have their chance. I give them credit for taking the plunge.

If Mayor Regalado wants to see the Marlins competitive, he should like this trade.

Based on what? The best prospect Miami received projects as a #3 starter under the best case. They gave up something like 8 wins next year for maybe a cheap few wins in 2 to 3 years. Yes the money evens it out, but to pretend that Miami received some large talent influx is just wrong.

And there you have why I made the comment I did. You can't just gloss over the money.

Yes you can. Unless the Marlins end up with like a $200 million payroll in 2 years the money can be ignored for making the Marlins competitive. Interantional FAs are capped. Draft picks are capped. All that is left is player salaries.

I was liking the way Toronto had been trending over the last 3 seasons. They were making very solid organization building moves and their A ball team had the best pitching staff I've seen fielded at that level since I started following the minors closely. In fact off the top of my head the only rotation I can recall that was better at any level was the AA rotation Seattle put out this season. That being said, I don't like this deal for Toronto at all. What player in his prime did they acquire for any significant period of time?

If they can resign Johnson then maybe this works out but that's a ton of salary to take on for a bunch of "name" players... 1 of whom is way the wrong side of 30, one who will be 30 next season, and 1 who's only signed for 1 more year and has injury problems.

Granted their young pitching was a couple of years away, but since I kind of like Toronto I hope this trade doesn't backfire on them. I think best case they are the 3rd best team in the AL East which I don't think gets them in the playoffs.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Escobar isn't flashy but he is a league average to slightly above average SS. Not sure why they would have trouble moving him.

I agree. I would've been thrilled to have Escobar last year (or especially in 2011) with the dreck the Brewers were running out there at shortstop.

He's an idiot, but that rarely matters to GMs. They'll be able to move him no problem.

Escobar isn't flashy but he is a league average to slightly above average SS. Not sure why they would have trouble moving him.

This is the same guy who had a gay slur on his eye black. Same reason why guys like Terrell Owens couldn't get a job in the NFL.

Not sure why they would have trouble moving him.

Because he's not a very good person and doesn't put forth the effort required of a professional baseball player?

The first part is irrelevant, but the 2nd part could be a problem. I still think they'll be able to move him.

Archived