Brewer Fanatic

Would you rather have Jean Segura or Mike Olt?

So far, Segura's defense looks so good that he should have a lot of long-term value. I guess Olt's defensive value is probably comparable, but Segura also looks ready to hit at the big-league level, while Olt is probably at least a half-season away yet.

I won't argue that Segura will outhit Olt overall, but Jean will defend at a very high level, steal a lot of bases, and has the kind of swing to rack up lots of XBH. Olt has a great ceiling, but Segura looks to have a very nice floor at SS.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
So far, Segura's defense looks so good that he should have a lot of long-term value. I guess Olt's defensive value is probably comparable, but Segura also looks ready to hit at the big-league level, while Olt is probably at least a half-season away yet.

I won't argue that Segura will outhit Olt overall, but Jean will defend at a very high level, steal a lot of bases, and has the kind of swing to rack up lots of XBH. Olt has a great ceiling, but Segura looks to have a very nice floor at SS.

TooLive, you said it well (and more concisely than I did). These are both promising players.

Can we just have them both?

Cubsdie, the Brewers did want pitching and a shortstop, they wouldn't have traded Greinke strictly for Olt, but Olt was a player they tried to get.

Texas wouldn't let go of Martin Perez or Olt at the time, they offered two other pitchers and a lesser shortstop, which caused the Angels to change their offer from Segura and a pitcher to Segura and both pitchers, which sealed the deal.

I would love to know, if Texas had offered Olt and two arms, which way would the Brewers have gone? I do think Melvin would have made the deal with Texas, because Olt was more highly thought of at the time, and there were questions as to whether Segura would stick at SS going forward.

If thats all true, then I am a little surprised. I didn't think Olt was every really on the table, but I admit that I don't know.

I'm extremely happy with what Melvin got for Greinke. If Texas called and offer Olt for Segura, I would hope Doug would say no. Plus 2 decent pitching prospects.

Also, does anyone have any insight as to why Olt has so few PA so far? Has he been hurt? I've tried to find out but I've come up empty.

He seems to have the normal amount.

310 PAs in 2010 (signed in June)

434 combined PAs in 2011

460 combined PAs in 2012

^^

I misread the stat line. I saw ABs

Although I still only see 303 PA for 2011. I may have a bad source. 303/303/415 is what I have. Seems low for 2 1/2 seasons. Anyway, not a big deal. I was just wondering if he had had any injury problems.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=p_pbp&pid=592609

Fangraphs has him with another 127 PAs in Rookie ball. Why he was in rookie ball after his stint in A- in 2010 where he killed it is strange.

And 40 MLB PAs in 2012.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
^^

I misread the stat line. I saw ABs

Although I still only see 303 PA for 2011. I may have a bad source. 303/303/415 is what I have. Seems low for 2 1/2 seasons. Anyway, not a big deal. I was just wondering if he had had any injury problems.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=p_pbp&pid=592609

Fangraphs has him with another 127 PAs in Rookie ball. Why he was in rookie ball after his stint in A- in 2010 where he killed it is strange.

And 40 MLB PAs in 2012.

endaround, I believe the 127 PAs listed are Arizona Fall League stats. I didn't realize Fangraphs (or anyone) was listing them. He had an awesome season in the AFL last year.

I was upset Brewers didn't get Olt and Perez. Obviously they likely weren't in a deal together. But if they could be I'd have taken it. Now Segura for Olt. Tough one. I'd take Olt being a solid 3b bat for Brewers for years. That's a big plus to me.

Now in the makeshift of Brewers Segura is the Only Option at SS. Olt wouldn't be at 3B. So how could Brewers make this deal? Just a lot to figure out to make this work...Moving Ramirez, finding another SS. FA? Trade?

So end all its Segura over Olt. If the team make up is different no Ramirez and some SS then Olt but it is what it is. The positive to me in Segura is his bat and SB potential fit a lineup fine. He's not a SS being put in the 3,4,5 spots. He fits 2,7,8(I'm hoping 2) Something I think has been getting lost in baseball is the Power hitting players overlooking the slap/gap hitting OB/SB guys. I don't get why 20hrs by CF,2b,SS is more expected at .300-.320OB with 170ks or more in a season over guys who SBs get on .325-350 with under 150ks.? I mean what does it matter on your 3,4,5hitters HRs if no one is on base ahead via a HR hit ahead of them, or the fact they struck out?

Archived