Brewer Fanatic

ARod?

I assume it is out of the realm of possibilities but would you trade Rameriz for ARod if the Yankees picked up 75% of the remaining contract? Again, it is not really a possibility but it is fun to think of these things.

No. Aram is about 10 times the player Arod is currently.

If the Yankees were to pick-up 75% of Rodriguez's contract, the five years left on his contract would be less than the two years (plus the option buyout) that is on Ramirez's. It would average out to $5.7M a season.

Not saying yes, but just thought I would throw the salary numbers out there.

IF he would be willing to waive his no-trade clause, and IF the Yankees would be willing to take a ONE middling prospect (let's say Scooter), and IF he could make a position change to, say, first base (moving Hart back to right and Aoki to center), then it would be something to think about.

The chances of all those ifs coming about are probably lower than me being able to get Jessica Alba and Mila Kunis in a three-way.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Arid has 5 years and $114 million left on his contract. That doesn't include $18 million he receives for some 'historic' HRs. He has a very good shot to get at least two of those (he gets $6 million for each), meaning he'll at least make $126 million over 5 years. That means you're on the hook for (roughly) $31.5 million of his contract. That's probably not a bad deal for someone. But the big issue is where do you play a-rod. He can probably handle 3B for another couple of years, but the guy is getting to be a liability in the field. He'll be 38 next year. He'll only get worse. Also, he is starting to struggle against right handers. He had a .717 OPS against the last year. Not a good sign. His injury issues are also a concern.

Arod needs to be in the American league. He can DH, maybe even move 1B in a year or two. It will help him stay healthy.

By the end of his contract, he's probably a part time player. He can contribute more in the AL due to the DH being open to him. Even at $6 million a year, he would quickly become a waste of money and roster space in Milwaukee.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

This seems like a move that would be done to acquire a 'name' just to acquire a name. Ramirez is younger, better, and cheaper at this point.

Isn't the point to be better at each position?

Unless A-roid can somehow get back on his magic pills, I want no part of him.

I expect Ramirez to start declining, but not as badly as Rodriguez.

Absolutely and 100% NO!

NO!

...and NO again.

The fact that anyone would even consider this has to mean they are thinking that A-Rod is still a super star. He is far from that status.

Fun to think about? Why?

NO!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Absolutely and 100% NO!

NO!

...and NO again.

The fact that anyone would even consider this has to mean they are thinking that A-Rod is still a super star. He is far from that status.

Fun to think about? Why?

NO!

Agree. I'm glad when a big-market team makes a big-money mistake. I hate when they find a way to get someone else to take them off the hook, and really don't want that to be the Brewers.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'm glad when a big-market team makes a big-money mistake. I hate when they find a way to get someone else to take them off the hook, and really don't want that to be the Brewers.

Wow. I'd forgotten just how long the Yankees extended A-Rod's contract (2017). I missed reillymcshane's post #6 when I began this one, so this isn't intended to be nit-picky.

They agreed to pay him $143M in base salary alone for his age-36 through age-41 seasons. He's currently at 647 career HRs, and as reilly noted he has the $6M/per 660/714/755 milestone bonuses. 660 seems all but a certainty, so tack on $6M more. He also received a signing bonus that tacks on $4M more during these seasons. So if I've got the details & math correct, that's $153M for age 36-41 ($25.5M AAV). By my count, and assuming he gets to #660, he has $121M still owed to him ('13 is his age-37 season) even if he doesn't reach #714 and #755. If he's able to stick in MLB until the end of his contract, I think he'll likely reach #714.

FanGraphs' dollar value for what A-Rod produced from 2004-'11 (age 28-35) is $190M, while -- again, if my math is correct -- he made $230M in base salary+signing bonus for those seasons. He also had performance bonuses, which I currently don't want to spend the time tallying... and in 2001 deferred a chunk of his pay to '11-'20, to be paid with interest. The Rangers agreed to pay a decent chunk of the deal they'd signed him to when they agreed to send him to the Yankees prior to the '04 season. However, A-Rod exercised an opt-out clause after the '07 season and basically nullified the rest of that contract, I'm unsure how much Texas wound up paying.

I don't believe there's any doubt that Rodríguez is one of the best players in MLB history. However, the Yankees have almost certainly grossly overpaid him from '04-'12, and it only looks like it'll get worse. What a trainwreck. Oh yeah, and naturally he has a no-trade clause in the contract to boot.

EDIT: Here's the link to the Yankees Cot's page if anyone else feels like sifting through A-Rod's contract details

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm glad when a big-market team makes a big-money mistake. I hate when they find a way to get someone else to take them off the hook, and really don't want that to be the Brewers.

Wow. I'd forgotten just how long the Yankees extended A-Rod's contract (2017). I missed reillymcshane's post #6 when I began this one, so this isn't intended to be nit-picky.

Didn't A-Rod get busted for roids only a few months after signing that ridiculous extension with NY?

I want the Yankees to have to suffer through the duration of that contract.

Mike Francesa will start each show with a rant, the fans will boo unmercifully, Girardi will have to answer questions daily about ARod.

It could save the newspaper industry.

Archived