Brewer Fanatic

R.A. Dickey

A New York Post article today stated that the Brewers think highly of Dickey but didn't elaborate any further. Based on what they are asking the Red Sox to give up for Dickey however I don't think it is too promising the Brewers get him.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The brewers should not give up any top Prospects for RJ,just cirious was he a Brewer Farm hand at one point?

He was the PCL Pitcher of the Year for the Sounds in 07.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I think it's encouraged that Melvin inquired on Dickey. Likely means he's open to trading for a starter if the price is right. I think that's good. Shouldn't limit himself to free agency.

Did you really have the impression that FA was all Melvin was considering? I think Melvin's proven to be extremely thorough over the years and goes for the players -- perceived as available or not, realistic or not -- that make the most sense which inevitably means that he doesn't limit his options in terms of the modes of acquisition that he considers.

I think it's encouraged that Melvin inquired on Dickey. Likely means he's open to trading for a starter if the price is right. I think that's good. Shouldn't limit himself to free agency.

Did you really have the impression that FA was all Melvin was considering? I think Melvin's proven to be extremely thorough over the years and goes for the players -- perceived as available or not, realistic or not -- that make the most sense which inevitably means that he doesn't limit his options in terms of the modes of acquisition that he considers.

Yes I did have that impression, because he basically came out and said that he doesn't want to trade away depth in the farm system. Pretty much said that he'd only be making moves through free agency.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Dickey seems to be at an impasse with the Mets. He wants a 2 year/$26 million extension. He'll make $5 million in 2013.

So what would it take for the Brewers to get him? It might be impossible, as the Mets are looking for high impact prospects. We'd have to provide a bit more quantity than quality - compared to what some other teams are offering.

So what are other teams offering? Texas reportedly has offered Mike Olt. Dave Cameron wrote a nice article about what it might take for Seattle to get Dickey - http://www.ussmariner.com/2012/12/11/should-ms-make-a-play-for-r-a-dickey/ - he suggests offering SS Nick Franklin (ranked 29th by MLB on their end of season prospect watch - http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2012/), and pitcher James Paxton - a guy who was ranked last season by BA as #52 on their prospect list going into 2012, and was listed at the 25th best pitcher going into 2013 - http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/10/8/3474586/preliminary-top-50-pitching-prospects-list-for-2013

I'd also simply take a look at what we got for Zach last year. Two nice arms with potential (but not Top 100ish material - at least not yet), and a guy ranked around 40-60 in the Top 100 Prospects by scouts at mid season (for example, BA had Segura at 43, I believe John Sickels had him around 70).

This gives us a base to work at on acquiring Dickey. Again, let's start at the Greinke trade. Begin with Pena and Helweg. We don't want to give up Segura, so that means we need another top prospect. That means Thornburg or Peralta. Personally, I like Peralta better, so let's say we include Thornburg (he was ranked 84th on the MLB prospect chart).

These three aren't going to be enough. It's a worse package than what we got for Greinke. And we're getting Dickey for three years (assuming he'd agree to the extension as part of the deal). LA got Zach only for a couple of months. So we'd need to sweeten the pot with some real value. I'd say Maldonado would have real value for the Mets (they are looking for a catcher).

So the deal would be Maldonado, Thornburg, Helweg and Pena for Dickey. You probably need a bit more to be competitive, but this is a good start. Dickey would sign a two year extension, meaning he'd be under control for three years at about $30 million.

Maldonado would be a tough lose. But you have to give something to get something. And Dickey is not without worries. His age is certainly a concern (38), but most people feel he's good for a few more years since he throws the knuckleball.

The Mets might not like the offer, instead going for more of an impact player like Olt. But I was just trying to really see what might work in a deal for Dickey.

Archived