Brewer Fanatic

It's Election Day. Would you vote for or against the DH?

jjkoestler
The Players Association would lose 14 starting (and high paying) jobs.

How so, if they did it like I want them to? I would think that they'd gain some, as NL teams would also add DH guys, or am I missing something?

Not a bad idea at all. Another option is to allow you to PH for your starting pitcher but not take him out of the lineup. You still get the strategy of when to burn bench slots and when not to but you only leave your pitcher in to bat in situations where it doesn't really impact the game as much.

That could also have possibilities, but it would still put an end to double switches, wouldn't it? I could easily be missing something here as well. It's been a rough day.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Having a pitcher that is even somewhat competent with the bat is a huge advantage for a team and makes the game much more interesting and fun to watch. Heck, in 2011 the Brewers practically had a DH when Yo, Greinke, and Wolf were at the plate.

I just wanted to comment on this, as I've heard this said many times before. But the combined OPS+ of Yo (55), Grinke (8), Marcum (24) and Wolf (5) was no where even close.

To put that in perspective, None of them hit better than Cesar Izturis this season (who had a 55 OPS+). Let alone the AL DH line which was somewhere around 115 OPS+.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

How so, if they did it like I want them to? I would think that they'd gain some, as NL teams would also add DH guys, or am I missing something?

The new "DH tied to pitcher" would only get 2-3 bats a game. That's now just a PH that gets to go twice.

When does the hitter become "tied" to the pitcher? Our DH makes the final out in the bottom of the 5th. We bring in Loe to pitch and declare Gamel the new DH. Loe gives up 5 runs. We decide we need to take him out and put in Parra. Does this mean Gamel must now leave the game? Or do we not have to "declare" the batter until the pitcher's spot comes up?

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I've said for some time that I'd like to see the DH tied to the starting pitcher. When the starter is pulled, so must be the DH. This would stop pitchers from hitting, but still involve NL type strategy, which makes the game infinitely better.

Once the starter leaves, it's NL business as usual. When a pitcher's at-bat comes up, either he takes his swings or he's done. You wouldn't "declare" anyone, other than the starting pitcher/DH. This really isn't as complicated as you're trying to make it.

That could also have possibilities, but it would still put an end to double switches, wouldn't it? I could easily be missing something here as well. It's been a rough day.

Same comment that Nottso made above. It would only apply to the starting pitcher, you still would need to double switch with RP and when you actually took your SP out mid inning etc.

Seems like pro-DH is typically more concerned with preventing silly pitcher ABs than gaining the offense from dedicated hitting ringers. Seems like anti-DH is typically more concerned with the illegitimacy of offense from dedicated hitting ringers than losing something by not making pitchers bat.

I haven't really thought it through all the way, but would it be feasible to compromise and only have an eight man batting order? It would be a step towards the DH in terms of NL pitching stats not being diluted by facing a weak hitting pitcher 2.5 times a game, but not full blown DH with a hired goon doing nothing but hitting.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Same comment that Nottso made above. It would only apply to the starting pitcher, you still would need to double switch with RP and when you actually took your SP out mid inning etc.

Hahaha... the first quote was also mine. I tol' ya yesterday was a rough day. Thinking about it further, I might like your idea even better if I have it right

You're saying the manager would have the choice to either bat the SP or to PH for him without the SP having to leave the game, yes? But if the manager does PH for the SP, that PH is done for the game unless he comes in on a double switch?

Unless I'm REALLY missing something here, that's absolutely brilliant, as it adds even more strategy. We could disect and second-guess managers' decisions until our heads explode!

As a lifelong fan of a team without deep pockets, I'm against having to potentially add another $8MM player. I also just like double switches and seeing all of our players come into games instead of disappearing for weeks.

This is something that really needs to be considered when talking about the DH. You're making a team fill a new position, not just messing with the batting order. Yes, you could just rotate guys in and out but you know the big money teams are going to sign big hitters who have no business being in the field to be their DH.

having the pitcher hit adds so much more depth of strategy to the NL game, with so many more decisions i can question the manager for. the AL game is bland in comparison.

the only thing i might change is to add the DH to Minor League games. there's some value to teaching a pitcher how to hit, but not as much as an otherwise-bench player getting four AB to work on his offense when he would otherwise be sitting.

having the pitcher hit adds so much more depth of strategy to the NL game, with so many more decisions i can question the manager for. the AL game is bland in comparison.

the only thing i might change is to add the DH to Minor League games. there's some value to teaching a pitcher how to hit, but not as much as an otherwise-bench player getting four AB to work on his offense when he would otherwise be sitting.

And by so much more depth you mean maybe 1 additional choice every 10 games or so. Most games the choice of when to replace the pitcher and who to replace him with is trivial. It adds a ton to big games where you micro manage a ton but normal day to day games really don't have that much strategy involved.

And by so much more depth you mean maybe 1 additional choice every 10 games or so. Most games the choice of when to replace the pitcher and who to replace him with is trivial. It adds a ton to big games where you micro manage a ton but normal day to day games really don't have that much strategy involved.

Tony La Russa would beg to differ.

Tony La Russa would beg to differ.

Most of his is just bullpen management which you get in the AL as well. I'm pretty clearly pro DH because player health is the most important thing and every year a dozen pitchers get hurt hitting and running the bases. Hitting isn't like other sports, you can't just step in and get 2 AB every 6 days (including off days etc) and expect a player to be a proficient hitter at the major league level. I just think it is so unlike any other part of any other sport that you can't compare it to other sports.

Pitchers put up a .330 OPS last year, that just isn't enjoyable to watch and it is obvious they can't be expected to compete at it. I'm all for modifying the DH to keep PH a more integral part of the game but I'm against expect pitchers to hit.

not only shouldn't pitchers hit they shouldn't have to field in case they injure themselves. i propose a deignated fielder, positioned behind the pitcher who fields for the pitcher. the DF can also be useful at the end and beginning of the inning by carrying the pitcher to/from the dugout. Now could the DF also be the designated Wiper or would they need another player to wipe the pitchers butts so they don't injure themselves reaching around......

not only shouldn't pitchers hit they shouldn't have to field in case they injure themselves. i propose a deignated fielder, positioned behind the pitcher who fields for the pitcher. the DF can also be useful at the end and beginning of the inning by carrying the pitcher to/from the dugout. Now could the DF also be the designated Wiper or would they need another player to wipe the pitchers butts so they don't injure themselves reaching around......

Let's outlaw pinch-running & pinch-hitting too! Integrity of the game!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived