Brewer Fanatic

It's Election Day. Would you vote for or against the DH?

jjkoestler

If the DH was on the ballot, would you vote for or against it?

The Stars posed this question on their Facebook page. Thought it could be a fun, non- political thing to vote on in honor of Election Day.

"I believe in the soul ... the small of a woman's back, the hanging curveball, high fiber, good scotch, that the novels of Susan Sontag are self-indulgent, overrated crap. I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter." - Crash Davis

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont really have a problem with the dh but i'd rather it not be used. it's kinda like when you were a kid playing football and your older cousin was always all time quarterback. are they able to dh for another position? i never thought about that. i like the idea of having the pitcher hit but having a designated runner though.

vote- no dh

I'd definitely vote for it. Watching a pitcher bat is probably the least entertaining part of a baseball game for me. I'd rather have no DH than have the two leagues stay different though since it keeps the NL at a disadvantage overall.

Watching Ben Sheets hit was one of the most painful things about being a Brewers fan in 2003-2008. I'm definitely for it, although the idiocy of having the two leagues with different rules should disappear.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

The DH is just stupid in my opinion. In what other sport can you play just half of the game? Can a basketball player just play defense? Defense and offense are part of the game, allowing someone to do just one aspect of it has always been silly IMO. So I vote against it.

What really bothers me is that it's not a universal MLB rule, that makes even less sense to me.

I vote "Yes" to having the DH, and it should be in both leagues. Baseball has become much more specialized (closers, setup men, utility players, etc) over the past several decades. Most pitchers are terrible hitters, and I don't find sac bunts and double switches to be especially compelling or fascinating.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I vote no on the DH. It will help stem outrageous contracts that come from American League teams. Without the DH, players like Fielder and Pujols can't just count on an AL team to dish out 9-10 year contracts because those players will actually have to play defense when they are in their late 30's.

In what other sport can you play just half of the game?

Football.

What really bothers me is that it's not a universal MLB rule, that makes even less sense to me.

That I agree with. I think that with interleague now going on every day, eventually there will be one rule for both leagues, and the Players' Union will not allow the DH to go away. Therefore, I think we'll have the DH in both leagues in the not-too-distant future.

I've cheered for the Brewers when they had a DH, and I've cheered for the Brewers without a DH. Since I believe the DH will be universal soon, I've started getting myself used to the idea of having a DH, so I'll vote "yes" for the DH in this election.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The DH creates jobs. You anti-DHers are basically communists.

The DH is nothing but an entitlement program for pitchers who only want to do half the work and collect a full paycheck!!!

Edit: For all the awful ads I was subjected to watch the past few months, it would be hilarious to see someone create some pro and anti-DH political ads.

Edit: For all the awful ads I was subjected to watch the past few months, it would be hilarious to see someone create some pro and anti-DH political ads.

A few years back when Canucks fans tried to get journeyman defenceman Roy Fitzpatrick into the all-star game, somebody created some awesome Scott Niedermayer, Chris Pronger, and Nicklas Lidstrom attack ads. They're worth 30 seconds of your time if you know hockey.

And I'm firmly against the DH.

I would vote against the DH, because I prefer the strategy of not having one. I just enjoy NL baseball a lot more than AL. Seems more bland without as much pinch-hitting and double switching. The whole roster is used more without the DH, and that includes the bullpen as well.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Archived