Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Michael Olmsted

DoubleSwitch
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Olmsted = Axford = Turnbow = McGehee

Doug gets another colorful, hard-throwing big donkey off the scrap heap, one with a nice backstory (I'll bet his wife's getting pregnant......tonight) who will dominate, pitch in the 2015 All-Star Game, and then, like a Behind the Music story, he'll lose his mojo and resurface in an Independent League somewhere in 2017

He's Casey McAx-bow!

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

What I meant was guys that can throw harder can get away with more mistake pitches within the strike zone. Of course they can walk a guy; but if you throw 95 you can get away with a misplaced fastball within the strikezone more than a guy that throws 88. Doesn't matter who hard you throw, anyone is capable is walking a ton of guys. I want guys that can mis bats within the strike zone and it would seem to me hard throwers probably have better odds at that. I am by no means a statistical genious though and have nothing to back up the claim that hard throwers get more swing and misses than soft tossers within the strike zone.

Olmsted = Axford = Turnbow = McGehee

Is that a fair to Olmsted who clearly doesn't have Axford and Turnbow's history of control problems? Not at all.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

What I meant was guys that can throw harder can get away with more mistake pitches within the strike zone. Of course they can walk a guy; but if you throw 95 you can get away with a misplaced fastball within the strikezone more than a guy that throws 88. Doesn't matter who hard you throw, anyone is capable is walking a ton of guys. I want guys that can mis bats within the strike zone and it would seem to me hard throwers probably have better odds at that. I am by no means a statistical genious though and have nothing to back up the claim that hard throwers get more swing and misses than soft tossers within the strike zone.

Exactly.

Additionally, it's usually better to have hard throwers in the bullpen because they will often appear in situations where it's really, really helpful to be able to get a punch-out.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm a sucker for one of these human interest stories as much as anyone, and at least Mike Olmsted's mother was appaently real, and not a Lennay Kekua thing.

But these guys are available for a reason. You don't see us picking up a David Price or a Matt Cain off the scrap heap, and for every Axford or Turnbow DM picks up, we see dozens of late-20's rookie bustouts like Bronswell Patrick and Joe Winkelsas.

I wish him well, and I'd love to be proven wrong, but this team has let me down SO many times.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

There were many Boston fans that were upset that they (Boston) didn't add him to their 40 man roster and prevent him from being a FA. They knew they were letting go a good high potential reliever. The guy doesn't have any control issues, can hit 97 MPH 95-96 regularly, throws at a 3 quarter angle which is very deceptive, and is a beast on the mound. Boston let go of a good player to make room for a good player, which was likely very hard for them to do. Good for us, though, because we got him.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm a sucker for one of these human interest stories as much as anyone, and at least Mike Olmsted's mother was appaently real, and not a Lennay Kekua thing.

But these guys are available for a reason. You don't see us picking up a David Price or a Matt Cain off the scrap heap, and for every Axford or Turnbow DM picks up, we see dozens of late-20's rookie bustouts like Bronswell Patrick and Joe Winkelsas.

I wish him well, and I'd love to be proven wrong, but this team has let me down SO many times.

Whelp, there's our annual Bronswell Patrick reference.

I believe he was signed to a minor league deal and I am not aware of any opt out agreement but I could easily be wrong

olmsted is on the 40-man roster. major league deal. he has three minor league options remaining, as this was the first time he had his contract purchased and added to a 40-man roster.

I believe he was signed to a minor league deal and I am not aware of any opt out agreement but I could easily be wrong

olmsted is on the 40-man roster. major league deal. he has three minor league options remaining, as this was the first time he had his contract purchased and added to a 40-man roster.

Ok, thank you for fixing that for me. I knew he had never pitched in the majors so I just assumed it was a minors deal

• 3 weeks later...
even though olmsted was optioned today, he can be sent up and down for the next three seasons. he turned a lot of heads in spring training, and he has to know that a call-up by the brewers can't be too far down the line.

• 4 months later...

wow. things have changed. 6.71 era at nashville with a 1.80 whip.

olmsted is looking more and more like a candidate to be outrighted to the minor leagues. if no other team claims him, he remains part of the brewers organization.

but, if another team does claim him and keeps him on their 40-man roster, he can remain in the minor leagues the rest of this year and for two more years.

He had a horrible outing yesterday, giving up 6 runs. I don't know what the deal is with him but he pitches well for long stretches and then has these absolutely terrible days where he gives up five or six runs. Maybe the manager should have a quicker hook with this guy as well.

Edit: There are four outings where he gave up 23 runs in 4 innings. You can't cherry pick stats like that but besides those four outings he has a 2.98 ERA.

• 1 month later...

Archived