Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Michael Olmsted

DoubleSwitch

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More from SoxProspects

Despite coming into the season with little fanfare, Michael Olmsted has put together one of the more impressive statistical seasons of the bullpen arms, and in scouting trips it is easy to see why. Olmsted has a huge frame, listed at 6-foot-6 and 245 pounds, and he uses that frame to generate easy velocity on his fastball. In a recent outing, Olmsted sat 94-96 mph and showed a plus slider with tight break. He also showed the ability to miss bats with both pitches and surprisingly good command for someone his size.

The reports from outing to outing haven’t been consistent, however, as his fastball has been clocked only in the low-90’s and lacked the same life in other games. Olmsted has shown the ability to project as a future major league reliever. The key for him going forward will be consistently holding his stuff from outing to outing as his fastball is flat and much more hittable when lacking the plus-plus velocity.

As this is Olmsted's first stint on any 40-man roster, he will have three options remaining, so despite being 25, the Brewers can bounce him up and down any amount of times through the 2015 season.

Basically the Brewers did with Jesus Sanchez (added him to the 40-man before minor league free agency) what the Red Sox chose not to do with Olmsted.

Fascinating. Melvin took advantage of a different mindset in Boston apparently. Boston it seems wants to hold roster spots open for major league FA. Have to believe Olmsted heard from more than one team though. The success of Axford, had to be a selling point. What's impressive about his stats is that he doesn't walk all that many. That tells me he might be ready sooner rather than later.

best money spent so far this off-season!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

One signing doesn't mean a trend necessarily, but it's interesting with some real money to spend and the bullpen the biggest need, that their focus seems to be on adding young hard throwers. That's fine with me but I'm a bit disturbed Parra has yet to be released. They do need to get a reliable lefty in the pen and I hope Parra isn't their fall back. Narveson maybe, but please not Parra.

As for the money being saved this route, one has to wonder who they are eyeing.

One signing doesn't mean a trend necessarily, but it's interesting with some real money to spend and the bullpen the biggest need, that their focus seems to be on adding young hard throwers. That's fine with me but I'm a bit disturbed Parra has yet to be released. They do need to get a reliable lefty in the pen and I hope Parra isn't their fall back. Narveson maybe, but please not Parra.

As for the money being saved this route, one has to wonder who they are eyeing.

FA started today at midnight, the signing period will be quick, but you probably wont see many signings until after Nov 9th when the Qualified Offers must be accepted/rejected. Brewers can always stockpile arms in the minors, and waiver claims are a great way of taking other teams unwanted talent without dipping into FA signings

would love to see them go after Grilli from the pirates for a late reliever/setup man with Henderson

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I think we have our 1st nickname candidate for Olmsted courtesy of SoxProspects.com:

"This town needed El Guapo Blanco."

http://www.milb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_519092.jpg

Have to pull out all my old high school Spanish knowledge for this one, the handsome white guy? I like it.

advocates for the devil

... I'm a bit disturbed Parra has yet to be released. They do need to get a reliable lefty in the pen and I hope Parra isn't their fall back. Narveson maybe, but please not Parra....

Just because Manny Parra's still here doesn't mean he'll be on the roster next year. They still have a good while before they have to decide whether or not to tender Parra a 2013 contract. There's no hurry to make a move unless they're in a rush to clear more space on the 40-man.

I wonder if they're hoping for the possibility of Parra being someone who can add some value to the Brewers' end of a trade package. Parra has plenty of warts, but he also has some value.

Back on-topic, I think I like the Olmsted signing. But there's also a ton of time left before ST and a whole lot of things could happen that could affect whether or not Olmsted -- or a number of others -- remains on the 40-man all the way to ST.

Back on-topic, I think I like the Olmsted signing. But there's also a ton of time left before ST and a whole lot of things could happen that could affect whether or not Olmsted -- or a number of others -- remains on the 40-man all the way to ST.

Clearly, DM sees a bit of himself on the upper lip of Olmsted, and that helps his chances.

Archived