Brewer Fanatic

Ken Davidoff article of top 30 free agents and where he thinks they will land

miggs721

I certainly like Lohse more than Dempster and those numbers seem pretty reasonable (and probably not enough for Loshe). I'd still rather they avoid the tempatation to give 3 year deals to guys in their mid 30's coming off of career years who could block a young arm.

Personally, I'd be focusing on a buy low guy like Liriano with upsdide and incentive to prove he's worth more.

Yeah, Lohse is fool's gold in a weak FA year for SP. (IMO) Not saying Dempster is the way to go either.

I honestly have no idea where these salaries are going to shake out. Just when you think you have a line on how the salaries will unfold, some crazy GM who is under pressure to make a move does something silly to throw it all out of whack...especially in thin FA years like this one, and especially with SP.

I'd say Lohse was destined for the Twins if he hadn't had the history there. Unfortunately, that leaves the Brewers. It honestly just seems like a move that Melvin would make, especially if the market isn't too hot for him.

I see Nedley getting him in KC.

@WiscoSportsNut

Yeah, Lohse is fool's gold in a weak FA year for SP.

Completely agree on Lohse, but with Greinke, Sanchez, Jackson, & Haren on the market, this actually seems like a stronger SP class to me than most seasons.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Yeah, Lohse is fool's gold in a weak FA year for SP.

Completely agree on Lohse, but with Greinke, Sanchez, & Jackson on the market, this actually seems like a stronger SP class to me than most seasons.

You are right...I don't know why I keep saying thin/weak, teams do have some options. I guess because Cain and Hamels signed their extensions, and it took 2 more elite names off the FA market and that's why I keep saying thin market.

I think deep is a better description than strong for this year's FA pitchers. There's basically no studs besides Greinke and maybe Sanchez but there seem to be a lot of solid, veteran back-end guys.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

This is the deepest FA starter class in memory. You have Greinke. Then you have a ton of low #1/solid #2 guys. You have in Sanchez and Jackson 2 who are under 30. Then you have Marcum and Haren, #2s or better if healthy. Then you have Dempster and Kuroda who are #2s but have age questions.

Now this is a terrible year for position free agents.

This is the deepest FA starter class in memory. You have Greinke. Then you have a ton of low #1/solid #2 guys. You have in Sanchez and Jackson 2 who are under 30. Then you have Marcum and Haren, #2s or better if healthy. Then you have Dempster and Kuroda who are #2s but have age questions.

Now this is a terrible year for position free agents.

Don't forget you also have a lot of filler guys like Liriano who when he is on is a #1 or #2 type pitcher. There is also McCarthy who is a good #3 or #2 type of a pitcher when healthy. This is a rather deep FA class this year for pitching in general there are plenty of bullpen arms also available.

• 4 weeks later...

Marcum #2? If Marcum resembled anything close to a #3 the Brewers would have given a QO to him. Grienke is a 1. All the rest don't hit 2. Kuroda is gone. This years class is rated down because its of 3s who are closer to 4s and in Haren,Jackson,Dempster had #2 abilities but in career never Consistently maintained them. Lohse had a career year. He doesn't grade as a high 4 to me that's how immense his career year was! Liriano is the same as above only it was #3 pitching to #4 and close to #5.

McCarthy is an injury unknown. His head? Yeah will he be the same on the mound after what happened? This class of Pitching FA are really a bunch of pitchers who didn't live to expectations. Sanchez the in for a big payday pitcher basically because he's lived up to his as a 3.

And I argue this because saying that when Liriano is on is a #1 or #2 can be said about just anybody. Fiers isn't even supposed to be a ML SP by scouts accounts yet his 1month+ of "being on" this season was #1 stuff stat wise. That's the promise this free agent class has is some occasional #1 stat stuff. But realistically you see #3 stat stuff from them while they ask for #2 stuff pay.

Makes sense. Jeff Suppan career year to Brewers from Stl so yeah Lohse career year to Brewers in his thinking.

My thinking. When Spring Training starts Lohse will be calling Stl asking them to sign him at 10mil. Any team willing to give up their highest draft pick for what Lohse has to offer as a pitcher would be nuts! Add to it your losing a pick, giving one to Stl and taking on serious payroll. I can't even fathom 6mil/yr for 3yrs with that cost in mind by a division rival. The only team I can figure on taking Lohse Damn the draft pick are the Dodgers.

Lohse 12years as a starter he has Opp BA Still! Above .300! Career k/9 5.5ish and he's what 34?35? It should honestly only be getting worse with Lohse.

Archived