Brewer Fanatic

Jeremy Jeffress DFA (Latest 11/8: acquired by TOR for cash)

splitterpfj

If I remember right, he's got one more suspension left from being banned? That may or may not make him motivated.....and it may or may not make teams too excited about taking a flyer on him.

One more minor league suspension. He is safe from those as long as he is in the majors I believe.

So the haul of exceptional minor league talent the Royals got from the Brewers for Greinke lost a bit of its luster...the centerpiece for the Royals needs to be Jake O. developing into a #2-type starting pitcher, otherwise it looks more and more like what the Indians got for CC (quantity with limited quality). All in all, here's where the Brewers stand two offseasons after this trade:

Dealt a young & projectable SS prospect, serviceable CF prospect, flamethrowing relief prospect, and pitching prospect with big upside to the Royals for Greinke and Yuni B.

Brewers make playoffs in 2011, miss playoffs in 2012, but deal Greinke to the Angels for a young & projectable SS, a hard throwing relief pitching prospect, and a high minors pitching prospect with alot of upside (risk/reward type, though). And, if they want Jeffress back in the fold they can pick him up off the scrap heap. Plus, they have an outside chance at resigning Greinke.

Whether Greinke's back or not, I'd say Doug made out just fine on that Greinke deal...

The royals also cut Tommy hottovy. He's a lefty that put up good numbers in triple a last season. Id look into him before jeffress.

Good call on Hottovy. He's 30 but he's been very good at AAA the last 2 years and the Brewers sure have the need for lefties in the pen.

One more minor league suspension. He is safe from those as long as he is in the majors I believe.

Not to mention testing positive for pot isn't a suspendable offense for players on the 40 man roster. Which was most likely why the Brewers put him on it before they needed to.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

He signed my cap a couple of weeks after he was drafted, and I always got a sense that he was a pretty good fellow.

He put up decent numbers in AAA last season (~60 IP, 9.5 K/9, 3.9 BB/9). I'd be happy to have him back in the minors.

Does anyone have an update on where Jeffress's situation is at right now? Do the Royals still have a couple of days to trade him before we can officially (possibly) claim him? I am excited to possibly make a play at this guy. I have a feeling he could do well as a setup man for us, but I'm not sure what type of a timeline we will have before we can maybe put the wheels in motion.

I'd let JJ move on to his 3rd organization. He has a big arm but no control and only managed a 4.97 ERA pitching in the PCL for Omaha, I don't want him coming back.

That SO/9 is going to come down and the BB/9 is going to go up and it's already high. He definitely has the talent but I don't think he's got any of the rest and I'd rather just stay away.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I kind of agree with Crew07. Crew, I think it was you who said in the past that Jeffress has never had the chance to learn how to be a pitcher. He's more like just a thrower at this point. Not sure the Brewers really have the need for a "project" like him at this point.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived