Brewer Fanatic

Loe and Ishikawa Outrighted

wisniewski

I don't think there will be much demand for Loe so I am going to assume he comes back at a discount.

I hope you are wrong about the coming back part...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Say what you want about Ishikawa, but he did an admirable job as a backup 1B this year.

My lasting memory of Travis Ishikawa will be a game in May when he leaned into row 1 of section 110 to catch a foul ball. We were seated in row 2, not 10 feet away. A photo of this appeared in a mid-season Gameday program, and I look like I'm hoping not to get creamed. The fan into whose seat Travis leaned was getting concession food, otherwise he might have been creamed.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Ishikawa filled his role as well as could be expected this year, but we need a RH bat with more defensive flexibility on the bench this season. I'm sure that Ishikawa will have no problem finding a job after his 2012 with the Brewers.

As to Loe, he's fine for his one specific role, which is getting RH batters to hit the ball on the ground. The problem is that his specialty is too specialized. It's acceptable to be a LOOGY, but not a ROOGY. I do hope that whatever team he goes to has a bullpen catcher who will inform the manager when Loe's sinker is not sinking. He should never be used in that situation, and I blame the coaching staff for putting him in games when he's not "on"... then he's like hitting BP.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Ishikawa is settling into a career as a fungible bench guy. Nothing wrong with that (c'mon the alternative was Brooks Conrad), but also no reason to go to arbitration with them either. Still, he apparently has a good attitude and works hard and given an acceptable level of performance he should find himself a nice niche for the next 4 to 6 years.

Robert

Ishikawa is settling into a career as a fungible bench guy. Nothing wrong with that (c'mon the alternative was Brooks Conrad), but also no reason to go to arbitration with them either. Still, he apparently has a good attitude and works hard and given an acceptable level of performance he should find himself a nice niche for the next 4 to 6 years.

Robert

Sure Brooks Conrad wasn't good but at least he could have backed up more than one position. Really neither was the right choice. Ishikawa was a LH 1B backing up a LH starter. They should have at least brought in a guy who could have played corner OF or 3B in addition to 1B. At the very least they should have brought in a right handed bat to back up 1B. I am sure he would fit in with a team somewhere but the 2012 Brewers out of Spring Training were about the worst fit possible.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Ishikawa filled his role as well as could be expected this year, but we need a RH bat with more defensive flexibility on the bench this season. I'm sure that Ishikawa will have no problem finding a job after his 2012 with the Brewers.

As to Loe, he's fine for his one specific role, which is getting RH batters to hit the ball on the ground. The problem is that his specialty is too specialized. It's acceptable to be a LOOGY, but not a ROOGY. I do hope that whatever team he goes to has a bullpen catcher who will inform the manager when Loe's sinker is not sinking. He should never be used in that situation, and I blame the coaching staff for putting him in games when he's not "on"... then he's like hitting BP.

No, it's the coaching staff's fault he was used to consistently face LHB's, instead of being put in a place where he was more likely to succeed.

Last two years: 329 RHB's faced, 250 LHB's faced. That's only 57% RHBs. Considering less than 30 percent of MLB hits left handed... our manager didn't do his job.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

No, it's the coaching staff's fault he was used to consistently face LHB's, instead of being put in a place where he was more likely to succeed.

That too, but I didn't want my rant to go on too long :-)

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Last two years: 329 RHB's faced, 250 LHB's faced. That's only 57% RHBs. Considering less than 30 percent of MLB hits left handed... our manager didn't do his job.

Considering he was a bullpen pitcher in the National League, that isn't exactly fair. The other team gets to play match-ups as well, so of course they are going to PH with a lefty. You can't pull a guy every single time that happens (although perhaps he should have been pulled more often than he was).

Archived