Brewer Fanatic

Nyjer Morgan outrighted -- [Released by CLE on 8.5.14 (post #47)]

MVP2110
Thank you Nyjer for everything you did baseball related. I found your Tony Plush antics boorish. I actually enjoyed him more this year when he just played baseball. Even though I didn't like his antics I don't think he was a clubhouse cancer at any point.

The only guys who seemed to label Nyjer a cancer were blowhard self righteous Cardinals or blowhard self righteous baseball writers. I never once heard of a teammate saying a bad word about him, even when he got shipped out of town.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

We were at the Brewers-Nationals series in WSH in April 2010. For the third game (featuring the Counsell Crush), we sat just left of the batter's eye in what was kind of a club level (padded seats & in-seat menu). A guy in front of us had his season tickets there and sported a signed Nyjer Morgan jersey. He was a nice guy, too - talked down a couple of WSH fans who were questioning Carlos Gomez's manhood, and took a couple of photos of me and the SO after the game.

I'd love to find that fan again and swap Nyjer Morgan stories (maybe even also STL hatred stories).

Wow! I was at that game and probably not more than 20 yards from you and this story. I remember telling the friend I was with "not to worry about ever seeing a perfect game--you'll be able to tell your grand kids you were there when Craig Counsell hit a grand slam!"

That was a fun game.

Aw, I wish I'd known you were there. I remember the Nats fans around us being all down in the dumps in the top of the first, when Jason Marquis didn't record an out until Doug Davis batted. I was thinking to myself, don't worry, folks - Sharpie is equally capable of giving up a ten-spot. And he almost did! just not all in one inning.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Thank you Nyjer for everything you did baseball related. I found your Tony Plush antics boorish. I actually enjoyed him more this year when he just played baseball. Even though I didn't like his antics I don't think he was a clubhouse cancer at any point.

The only guys who seemed to label Nyjer a cancer were blowhard self righteous Cardinals or blowhard self righteous baseball writers. I never once heard of a teammate saying a bad word about him, even when he got shipped out of town.

+1. He seemed like a great teammate and competitor.

Loved him from the first time he barrelled over a catcher to his last game here. Jumped all over the T-Plush bandwagon and my friend even made T-Plush Pale Ale with labels and everything. (The Brewers office never gave it to him though.)

Thought that his concentration of just playing baseball and going T-Hush took a lot out of his game this year, and he was too tense. When he was loose and goofing around, he played a lot better.

Good luck to you Mr. Morgan, I tear up whenever I see the NLDS at bat.

2011 was a special season for me personally as I'm sure it was for a lot of people, not only was it the most successful season in my lifetime that I can remember it was the last season I got to enjoy with my grandmother. She was diehard and pretty much the whole reason I got into baseball. I've since now moved away from Wisconsin and while I will forever be a Brewer fan I have much less exposure. Nyjer was a big part of that team on the field and off, he'll always have a place in the hearts and minds of Brewer fans and I wish him the best of luck wherever he ends up next. It's too bad we didn't beat those darn Cardinals. Maybe one day he could return to the Brewers in some capacity, who knows.

• 7 months later...
I just watched all of his video's on youtube and had a blast. Good times, good times..
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I got around my kindergarten reading level in Japanese to find stats after a friend told me back in May that he expected Plush to be sent to the minors. He apparently isn't as atrocious (I still can't find splits), but is sitting at an OPS of .682 for the year. I'll be taking a train to Tokyo next week and am supposed to be going to Yokohama vs Yomiuri. Hopefully, Plush will do something memorable.

I got around my kindergarten reading level in Japanese to find stats after a friend told me back in May that he expected Plush to be sent to the minors. He apparently isn't as atrocious (I still can't find splits), but is sitting at an OPS of .682 for the year. I'll be taking a train to Tokyo next week and am supposed to be going to Yokohama vs Yomiuri. Hopefully, Plush will do something memorable.

Go find him. I bet he'd be surprised to see a Brewers fan.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Yokohama Stadium yesterday to see Plush and the BayStars vs Yakult (w Lastings Milledge). Japanese baseball is awesome. You can bring your own food and beer. The fans are nuts, and sing constantly. Every player has his own song:

Let's go, let's go Mo-gahn.

Naija Mo-o-gahn.

Tony! Plush! Mo-gahn!

Tony! Plush! Mo-gahn!

Yes, they are aware that he's Tony Plush. If you can fathom this, it seems that he has gotten crazier. He made the T gesture about 50 times and danced in CF before each inning. Also, he jacked one halfway up the stands in RF and they won 7-0.

Went to Yokohama Stadium yesterday to see Plush and the BayStars vs Yakult (w Lastings Milledge). Japanese baseball is awesome. You can bring your own food and beer. The fans are nuts, and sing constantly. Every player has his own song:

Naija Mo-o-gahn.

Tony! Plush! Mo-gahn!

Tony! Plush! Mo-gahn!

Yes, they are aware that he's Tony Plush. If you can fathom this, it seems that he has gotten crazier. He made the T gesture about 50 times and danced in CF before each inning. Also, he jacked one halfway up the stands in RF and they won 7-0.

That is awesome. Thanks for the report.

• 3 weeks later...
Latest on Nyjer, doing well in Japan these days.

The guy got under my skin on a number of occasions, most notably not knowing the score on a game winning hit back in 2011. One thing I have to admit though, is all in all the guy is extremely likeable, goofball or not. I'd love to see him come back at some point and take over in a role similar to Augie or Davey's. He sure can't do any worse as they basically add nothing and would actually give reason to stay tuned after games.

• 1 year later...

Nyjer Morgan was released by the Indians today and is a free agent.

http://www.letsgotribe.com/2014/8/5/5972227/nyjer-morgan-released-josh-tomlin-called-up-indians-news

Any interest in brining him in as a 5th outfielder in September...if nothing else to piss off the Cardinals? Baseball sure was entertaining back then and has one of the brighter moments in Brewers playoff history.

Have not really heard anything on his injury situation as he has not played since May. Kind of odd that the Indians would release him while on the 60 day DL since he has put up good numbers with them. If he is around and healthy in September I wouldn't care if they picked him up but would probably prefer going in house with one of the outfielders in AAA that has been with the organization all year like Gindl, Hermida and Orr. I imagine Schafer is already a lock to be called up in Sepetember.

Archived