Brewer Fanatic

Jose Veras outrighted off 40 man roster, becomes free agent.

trwi7

both served purposes for each team... the brewers got a bullpen arm... pirates got a player to trade to the yankees for cash. win/win

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I thought he might be the one non Axford/Henderson guy to stick around but I guess not. I can't really say I'm going to miss him, but I'm starting to get a sinking feeling that the Brewers are gonna get desperate and throw some stupid money at the pen, and we all know how Riske that can be. I know it was a big problem last year, but I'd rather go with guys like Hellwig, Rogers, J. Sanchez and maybe Thornburg plus maybe one or two Ryan Madsen types on one year deals who are trying to build value back up, than get locked into any 3+ year commitments on bullpen guys. It's the area of the team where you get the most variance year to year and where your buck goes the least far in FA.
advocates for the devil

Veras is one of those guys who's his own worst enemy. I think he put a lot of pressure on himself coming to a team with high aspirations. That being said, the guy has really good stuff, and he did perform well late in the year. Maybe he's not worth what he'd get in arbitration, but I sure would take him back to compete for a job.

I certainly would rather they cut ties with Loe and Parra first.

Maybe he's not worth what he'd get in arbitration, but I sure would take him back to compete for a job.

That's an interesting note. Arbitration will guarantee a certain raise, so the Brewers could decline arbitration on any of their relievers but still re-sign them as free agents. Not saying they're going to, but the option exists.

It will be interesting to see how the reliever market plays out this season. If there is a glut of so-so relievers out there, I wouldn't mind bringing Veras back for $1MM or so... I just don't want them to pay him the $3-4MM he'd probably get in arby.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Arbitration will guarantee a certain raise, so the Brewers could decline arbitration on any of their relievers but still re-sign them as free agents.

What is the scenario where the old team can't sign their "ex"-players until May/June?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I thought the team might keep Veras around. But whatever. I bet Loe and Parra are next. K-Rod was a given.

This opens up a lot of innings for the team to fill. A challenge, but not impossible.

I assume the team would try and trade any of these guys before just letting them go. Which means no one wanted Veras.

Arbitration will guarantee a certain raise, so the Brewers could decline arbitration on any of their relievers but still re-sign them as free agents.

What is the scenario where the old team can't sign their "ex"-players until May/June?

Former scenario... I think it was this: Regular FA's who declined arbitration and didn't sign with another team then couldn't re-sign with their previous team until May 1st.

Veras is one of those guys who's his own worst enemy. I think he put a lot of pressure on himself coming to a team with high aspirations. That being said, the guy has really good stuff, and he did perform well late in the year. Maybe he's not worth what he'd get in arbitration, but I sure would take him back to compete for a job.

I don't think Veras putting extra pressure on himself caused problems for him, he was pretty much the same pitcher for the Brewers as he was with the Pirates.

His biggest flaw is the same flaw he had the last few years, he simply walks to many hitters. Veras is good enough at limiting hits and his K/rate is quality , but almost any late inning relief pitcher who consistently puts hitters on via walks is going to get himself in trouble. He walked 40 guys in only 67 innings last year, that by far hurt him more than anything else.

Veras fits a similar description for me as Manny Parra does: He had some really good moments/games, but for many reasons, he could've & really probably should've been a whole lot better than he actually was an awful lot of the time.

When a guy like that costs too much, it's time to move on.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Veras fits a similar description for me as Manny Parra does: He had some really good moments/games, but for many reasons, he could've & really probably should've been a whole lot better than he actually was an awful lot of the time.

When a guy like that costs too much, it's time to move on.

This is about right. A guy like Veras making $500,000 is one thing. When he makes $3 million - time to let him go.

Archived