Brewer Fanatic

Disney to buy Lucasfilm

DatHoser
Anything that wrestles control of the series away from Lucas is good in my opinion. His creative high point was prior to release of SW4 so all he can do is tarnish the brand....

Now Kevin Smith could be linked to SW7 and I'd have to reconsider my opinion.....

You don't want to see Jay and Silent Bob dealing outside Tosche Station?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Maybe I'm old, but I'm tired of reboots and sequels. Make something new for Pete's sake. Or at least if you reboot something make it seem new (ala Batman). The latest Spiderman movie was a stupid idea from the get go.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think there is and was a segment of the population that was never going to be satisfied with what Lucas did when 1-3 where released. Too much time and nostalgia had been built up in the fans' memory banks. I'm just old enough to have gone to see Star Wars in the theatre when it was out the first time, I was only 6 or 7 then but I thought it was the coolest movie ever made, had the action figures, loved the whole trilogy. I think the memory of the movie for many was such a sense of wonder and the character's so beloved that anything new was going to have a tough time capturing that feeling again for people that have seen countless SciFi movies since and knew the originals by heart always holding that childhood memory of them. It isn't like Mark Hammill wasn't a whiny petulant Luke Skywalker or that the dialogue in all the originals was some tight Aaron Sorkin script, or the Ewoks, but nobody cared because they were kids and the effects/story were so cool and original. Now 30 years later people judge the films as an adult and compared other SciFi films that have since had cool effects and story lines.

I actually don't mind episodes 2 and 3. Phantom Menace was a bit of a downer because they spent so much time on child Anakin and the whole Jar Jar character. I think Lucas thought he had to specifically target young kids with the relaunch to draw their interest in the series rather than trusting that young kids were already hooked by their parents or themselves via watching the movies despite their age.

Sort of like Tolkien, a story that beloved and followed for so long was never going to live up to the expectations of some members of the fanbase. I read all the Tolkien books in grade school and many times since, and thought Peter Jackson did a fantastic job bringing them to the screen. Sure there are quibbles with some things but given the scope and scale of the books he did a good job and thankfully was given the runtime to do good job. Yet I still see blog posts and complaints about him ruining the books.

I guess I don't really know what people expected the 1-3 episodes were going to be like, he followed a similar formula to the other films, but he had to use different actors and the wow factor from the effects couldn't be the same because everyone had caught up.

I guess I don't really know what people expected the 1-3 episodes were going to be like, he followed a similar formula to the other films, but he had to use different actors and the wow factor from the effects couldn't be the same because everyone had caught up.

No, he absolutely did not follow a similar formula. The formula for the original trilogy was Hero vs Bad Guys. Where every conflict had a clearly defined reason and thought process behind it.

For Ep 1-3, it was "LETS MAKE STUFF LOOK COOL ZAP ZAP PEW PEW LAZERZ"

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

What I'd like to see is Episodes 7-9 with a new Jedi Order headed by Luke Skywalker. I'm not sure what angle they can take with Han Solo and Leia but obviously they need to create a new evil character for them to fight. I'm interested to see what they do with those two, specifically regarding any possible children. Jacen, Jaina and Anakin were obviously huge characters in the EU and I wonder how close Disney will stick to that.

I'd also like to see a weekly, hour long TV show that focuses on the old republic. Another poster mentioned how cool it would be to see groups of Jedi fighting groups of Sith and I couldn't agree more.

One thing I'd also like to see though I'm sure it will never happen is either a movie or maybe an hour long special devoted entirely to Darth Vader's raid on the Jedi Temple. Obviously they'd have to cast Hayden Christianson to make it appealing (which is also why I'd dont think it will happen) but I just think it would be really cool seeing how Vader takes down all the Jedi and security forces there.

I've seen that Fox still owns the distribution rights for Episodes 1-6, so i'm not sure we'll be seeing much in the way of re-releasing the original trilogy. So Disney has to release new movies to make money.

I'm most excited about the theme park possiblities. Right now, Disney just has the Star Tours simulator ride at a number of their parks. Now they can build entire lands, putting you in the middle of any number of Star Wars locations with rides, attractions and dining. The possibilities are endless.

I admit I ragged on the flanneled one up and down over the prequels, but he's earned my utmost respect for this: http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/2012/11/george-lucas-donating-most-4-billion-charity

The details aren't out, but most of his proceeds from the sale are going to charities. I don't feel so bad over buying multiple copies of the same movie. :tongue

No, he absolutely did not follow a similar formula. The formula for the original trilogy was Hero vs Bad Guys. Where every conflict had a clearly defined reason and thought process behind it.

For Ep 1-3, it was "LETS MAKE STUFF LOOK COOL ZAP ZAP PEW PEW LAZERZ"

But in 1-3 everyone already knew how it was going to end, Anakin was going to betray the Jedi and become Darth Vader. 1-3 was really just the backstory since there really wasn't going to be some amazing plot twist or unknown bad guy to confront, the story was already too well known. There could have been some side bar story about the life of Han Solo by the time the third movie story line picked up which probably could have been pretty cool.

Who was going to be the hero of 1-3 Darth Vader? Everyone already knew the Emperor was the ultimate bad guy. The good guys were the Jedi and I think he tried to make the audience sympathetic to Anakin. The genesis of the Storm troopers, Emperor being granted authority over the Republic, destruction of the Jedi, and birth of Vader were all explained.

I think Obi-Wan was definitely meant to be the hero of episodes 1-3. TLB makes a good point though. The entire point of three movies was to show how Anakin turned. The cool thing about any future movies is that we have no idea what's going to happen.

Everything after 4-6 is already written for the most part, I can't be the only one who has bought most of the book trilogies? Some of them were just awesome, like the Thrawn and X-Wing Trilogies... I haven't read any of them in a couple of years now but there are actually very few bad books, I probably have something like 30 of them, I never actually counted, but I currentlyhave a bookcase full of just Star Wars books.

It would be pretty easy to start adapting good trilogies into movies.

Wiki has the complete list, I didn't realize I had fallen so far behind in my reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_novels

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

As was pointed out earlier, none of the books are cannon so they could go in a completely different direction. They could keep the characters and change the stories. They could skip far ahead after the Fate of the Jedi series. As long as Luke is still alive. Haven't read it all through yet.

Everyone already knew the Emperor was the ultimate bad guy.

I wish they would have done a little better job hiding which person was the emperor. I think 1-3 would have been much more enjoyable not knowing who was who. As soon as I heard Palpatine I was like, "that's the emperor."

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I think Obi-Wan was definitely meant to be the hero of episodes 1-3. TLB makes a good point though. The entire point of three movies was to show how Anakin turned. The cool thing about any future movies is that we have no idea what's going to happen.

The entire point of both individual trilogies is the Hero Circle. The difference is that in 1-3, especially 1, a bunch of lame subplots involving political exposition muddied the waters. The subplots in 4-6, especially 4/5 were mostly about bounty hunters, a smuggler, and his past associates. Which would you rather watch?

The difference between the two trilogies should have been the choice the protagonist made at the end with Luke choosing good vs Vader giving into temptation and turning evil. Though you could argue Anakin was the protagonist of all 6 movies.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Jumping in late to the discussion, but I have a few things here.......

Whether they re-use Hammil, Ford, and Fisher, use entirely new character, or if they get bold, and re-cast, Luke, Han and Leia, I'm cool with it. Honestly, even the hardcore SW fan in me (I'm 38, so I'm from that core group from the 80's) would like to see some new actors reimagining of those characters. I have only one caveat. NO CLONE WARS PLEASE. That's been done to DEATH. At this point anything 'not Clone Wars' would honestly be a pleasant surprise, and would have a hard time disappointing me.

Secondly, I've seen a lot of 'oh no, Disney!?!?!' comments. I've seen people suggesting that the theme song will be done by the Jonas Brothers, and we'll have Mickey Mouse/Star Wars crossovers, etc, etc, etc. Right. Because they're TOTALLY doing that with the Avengers/Marvel movies, right?

Let's be honest.......could Disney honestly do something WORSE with the Star Wars universe than Jar Jar Binks at this point? Could they honestly do something worse than Ep 1, 2, and 3? IMO........no. Let's give them a chance.

As was pointed out earlier, none of the books are cannon so they could go in a completely different direction.

Cannon schmannon, with that much excellent material to build off of it would be foolish to disregard it. GL can say whatever he wants about his version of the Stars Wars universe, but he did authorize everything that was written post episode 6. Regardless he has no say now.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

If they are going to sequel to ROTJ I'd have to imagine they'll use a lot of the same characters. I guess they could maybe get away without Ford but really I can't image a successful sequel without Luke and Leia. If they can't get any of them I'd rather they have a sequel set 100+ years into the future where all the original characters would be dead than to recast the characters. But for the sake of legitimacy and to ease concerns from the Star Wars fan base I'd imagine Disney will pay whatever it will take get Hamill Fischer and Ford.

Like someone mentioned earlier, I would love to see a movie/special/TV series about the old Republic before Episode 1. I would like to see Jedi vs. Sith, how the Repubic came to be, etc. Having only seen 4-6 as a kid in the 90s when they were re-released, I had no idea that there was a "backstory," and so I was very excited to see everything in Episodes 1-3 when they came out. I would be very interested in seeing even more pre-Episode-1.

Honestly, while I'm sure that 7-9 won't have the original "wow" factor as there is less to be told, I feel moreso like at this point I'm interested enough in learning more in general about the Star Wars galaxy, the story of the Jedi and Sith, etc. that I will be happy with anything that comes out.

As was pointed out earlier, none of the books are cannon so they could go in a completely different direction.

Cannon schmannon, with that much excellent material to build off of it would be foolish to disregard it. GL can say whatever he wants about his version of the Stars Wars universe, but he did authorize everything that was written post episode 6. Regardless he has no say now.

Some of it is excellent. Some is not. Sure he authorized stories to be told in his universe but that doesn't mean they are anything more than myths. I wold rather see things taken in a different direction than any of those stories made into movies. They would have to be shortened and not as good.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived