A-ROD:

274 ABs

72 Hits

.263 AVG

13 HR

41 RBI

75 k

39 BB

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rodrial01.shtml#batting_postseason::none

PRINCE:

104 ABs

19 Hits

.183 AVG

5 HR

11 RBI

25 K

11 BB

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/fieldpr01.shtml#batting_postseason::none

A-Rod has been much better and gets a whole bunch of criticism whereas Fielder doesn’t get much criticism. Fair or not? Maybe its based solely on the fact Prince has played in Milwaukee and Detroit and not New York, but this was definitely an interesting piece of information.

A-Rod's last contract was unheard of at the time. People expected him to live up to that kind of money and he hasn't... He was under the microscope.

Prince has a big contract, but so do a lot of other players, so it is easier to escape criticism imo.

Couple that with playing for the Yankees and roids scandals, and A-Rod is going to get hammered.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Samples are too small to mean anything, especially for Prince. He looked solid in the playoffs until this season, anytime one small sample of games in one seasons can completely change a perception it means the perception is flawed in the first place.

To be fair to Prince he got a number of hits and a HR stolen from him in the AL games.

I've never been one to harp on ARod for post season numbers either though.

A-Rod was the best player in baseball for about a decade. Prince is a superstar but no where near where A-Rod was at his peak. Most of the blame can go to the fact that he plays for the Yankees. Unless your name is Derek Jeter you have to hit about .400 in the playoffs to be considered a "clutch performer" in the playoffs.

Samples are too small to mean anything, especially for Prince. He looked solid in the playoffs until this season, anytime one small sample of games in one seasons can completely change a perception it means the perception is flawed in the first place.

Batting .192 in the three playoff series before this year isn't exactly "solid."

A-Rod was the best player in baseball for about a decade. Prince is a superstar but no where near where A-Rod was at his peak. Most of the blame can go to the fact that he plays for the Yankees. Unless your name is Derek Jeter you have to hit about .400 in the playoffs to be considered a "clutch performer" in the playoffs.

No you just have to be protected by the Yankee brass. Non one seems to know that Robinson Cano, the Yankee's best hitter, hit 0.75/0.98/.125 this post season. Or that Teixeria hit like ARod this season while playing 1B.

Batting .192 in the three playoff series before this year isn't exactly "solid."

I agree with you Burnzy. I never got the clutch feeling with Prince. Maybe the numbers speak differently but I always felt underwhelmed by Prince's "clutchiness." It may also have something to do with Ryan Braun always seemingly getting enormous and memorable hits though (wild card clinching HR against the Cubs in 2008, division clinching HR against Miami in 2011).

I've always felt Prince couldn't handle pressure....

Throwing home, or to 2nd on a pickoff... throw always seemed to be very high and/or off target.

I'm pretty sure that has more to do with him being terrible at playing defense than not being able to handle pressure. I can remember him coming through in quite a few games when we needed him in the years he was here.

Throwing home, or to 2nd on a pickoff... throw always seemed to be very high and/or off target.

Fielder is often among the leaders in WPA. So no, Fielder always tends to deliver the big hit.

No but the OPS he put up is very solid and not really worthy of big complaints, thanks for the snarky comment though, it shows you have really put a lot of thought into this.

Fielder is often among the leaders in WPA. So no, Fielder always tends to deliver the big hit.

WPA is much easier to get when you bat in the middle of the order. Much like RBI's.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

WPA is much easier to get when you bat in the middle of the order. Much like RBI's.

Not really. Because failing in those opportunities leads to negative WPA.

Archived