Brewer Fanatic

Glenn Braggs, at 50 (now 53)

splitterpfj

Braggs and Greg Brock were my favourite players growing up. i rarely got to watch a game on tv, but i remember one where Glenn Braggs swung at a pitch and missed (naturally), and the bat broke as it wrapped around his back on the follow-through. it was one of the coolest things i'd ever seen.

Braggs and Greg Brock were my favourite players growing up. i rarely got to watch a game on tv, but i remember one where Glenn Braggs swung at a pitch and missed (naturally), and the bat broke as it wrapped around his back on the follow-through. it was one of the coolest things i'd ever seen.

That incident is what inspired my screen name. I will never forget seeing that. He used to snap bats over his knee like Bo Jackson after striking out too.

Molitor fan, you're right, that happened in Baltimore in April, of '87, but the infielder was Rick Burleson, who was playing second base for Baltimore.

The ball was hit right at him, and he couldn't get his glove down in time to even deflect it.

Yount was before my time, but until Sheffield came along (and later Sheets and Prince), Braggs was the most hyped Brewer prospect that I can remember to that point. Nieves was right there with him. Glad to see that he is well, but I still blame him for my skepticism of prospects. He was plain bad for most of his time in Milwaukee. I do remember one season (maybe '89?), where he got off to a really good start, but then he got hurt.

Ask, and ye shall receive:

http://www.fangraphs.com/not/index.php/glenn-braggs-awareness/

If the Brewers needed a linebacker who could hit halfway decent, I'd sign him right now.

That clip is ridiculous. How strong do you have to be to do that? Additionally, this was in a time when the bats didn't shatter like they do now.

Wow that is impressive.

• 3 years later...
HGH is awesome.

I'm guessing that after a few years of minor league ball in the early/mid 80's he didn't have the money for HGH. He's always looked like that - this isn't skinny Tim Raines who after a few years became "Rock" Raines and then mysteriously had a lot of injuries.

There can be over a 3-fold difference in testosterone levels between two men and both be considered in "normal" medical range. It's a funny thing; there are guys who can have abnormally high testosterone levels. And if he's been juicing for 30+ years he would probably would have a past along the lines of Lex Luger.

One of my favorite baseball anecdotes. Kirby Puckett took a lot of crap about his body when he played. It didn't look great; he was short and stocky and in no way looked like a great athlete. He was asked once who, if he could pick another player, he would choose to look like. He said Glenn Braggs and he didn't have to think about it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

My first baseball game, I got Braggs to sign a rookie card. I remember thinking, holy crap his arms are big. He is going to hit a lot of homers. Then I learned the difference between bulk strength and flexible strength.

I do remember when I asked, he mentioned that he had to warm up first. Then when he came back to sign, a swarm of kids rushed the fence and pushed me back. He made it a point to reach over the other kids and got mine to sign it (remembering that I asked him).

Archived