Brewer Fanatic

2013 Season to feature 10 Bobblehead Giveaways

BradWI
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, all ten bobbles have been publicly identified by the Brewers, and the lead post of this thread includes the list. Those of you who waited to comment, go for it now (while observing forum etiquette, of course).
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Special Extras About Some of the 2013 Bobbleheads

In a press release about the sale of Brewers 4-game Holiday Packs, there was some information included about some of the bobbleheads for next year. This prompted me to look up the rest of the information which has been shared elsewhere, but not here.

•The Ryan Braun bobblehead will be in commemoration of his 40 HR/30 SB season.

•Likewise, Hank Aaron’s bobblehead will commemorate his 1963 40/30 season as a member of the Milwaukee Braves and will feature him in a Braves uniform.

•Corey Hart will be featured in a “1913 Brewers” uniform.

•Gorman Thomas will don a 1969 Seattle Pilots uniform in his bobblehead.

•The bobblehead for George Scott will feature him holding five Gold Gloves, representative of the five such awards he won during his five-year stint with the Brewers.

•The Polish Racing Sausage will be given away in conjunction with “Polish Heritage Day” at Miller Park. As such, he’ll be wearing a “Piwowarzy” jersey which is Polish for “Brewers”.

•Carlos Gomez will be featured in a gold alternate “Cerveceros” jersey which the team has worn the past couple of years on Cerveceros Day at Miller Park in honor of Hispanic heritage.

I like the fact that they're mixing up the bobble unis next year. We don't need a Cerveceros every year IMO. It's also nice that I don't think there will be alternates for all (and hopefully very few...they're a pain to collect if you don't get them at the gate, especially when you try to buy or trade them from people who think they're entitled to $75-$100 for a "rare" bobble there is actually 5,000 of...)

Old article, but an insight from Rick Schlesinger

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/11/12/Research-and-Ratings/Bobbleheads.aspx

In Milwaukee, Brewers Chief Operating Officer Rick Schlesinger said that in the eyes of fans, bobbleheads have become a permanent part of his team’s culture. The six bobblehead nights on this year’s Milwaukee schedule gave the Brewers a total of 58 such dates since 2006, more than any other club.

“Bobbleheads are an attendance driver and a key brand identifier,” Schlesinger said. “They have a high perceived value, high collectibility, and they appeal to every demographic. And sponsors know that people keep these things on their desks at work and next to their beds for years — so that their logo might be the first thing you see in the morning and the last thing you see at night.”

I just don't buy what he's saying. That was the case initially, and it WOULD be the case again if they only had one or two during the year. But it's really not the case any more. When they started, every bobblehead game was a sellout. It's just not that way anymore. There were a few last year with less then 35k there - mainly due to who it was and the fact that people are just growing tired of them.

I also HATE that every single one of them is on a Sunday. Why do that? With 10 bobbleheads, that would be HALF my 20 game package just to get them all. I want to come other days of the week - if it really did boost attendance that much, why not do some of them on weeknight games when crowds are tougher to get?

Bobble games used to sell out because people wanted the bobbles. Now, if you don't go to the bobble game in person, it is pretty easy to pick up the bobbles on ebay or craigslist for cheap, so it is no longer priority.

I know that I used to go to every bobble game without fail, just so I could be sure I got the bobbles. Now if I can go, I do, if not, no biggie, I either trade for the bobble or go to ebay...

The novelty has surely worn off.

I'd like to see fewer bobbles and add in some other cool giveaways. Figurines would be cool too.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

It's still fun to collect them, it just isn't hard to get them from the secondary market.

So many get extras now to sell or trade, that going to the game is no longer the only way to get them...

I don't want them to stop the bobble SGAs, just want fewer numbers, and fewer repeat players.

There is going to come a time when it becomes just too many to collect. If there are almost 30 bobbles this year again (including the minors) at some point, people will just stop collecting. They take up a lot of space, not to mention the cash involved. If every 3 or 4 years the serious collector is adding 100 new Brewers bobbles (again, including the minors) it just becomes unrealistic to stick with it. Can you imagine the money involved if someone were to start their collections now, and wanted to get them all? I just don't see a lot of new collectors starting up knowing that the task would be pretty monumental.

Anyone know yet if there will be variants of this years sgas?

I have heard nothing in regards to variants, I hope no news is good news! (meaning NO variants this year)

Archived