Brewer Fanatic

Randy Wolf will have Tommy John surgery

splitterpfj

Randy Wolf has had a pretty nice career, but he's already 36. Have to think this will probably end his career.

It certainly may be the end, but because he throws with his left hand and doesn't rely on velocity to get people out I wouldn't rule out a return to a MLB roster.

yeah, if Jamie Moyer can pitch until he's 49 with his soft tossing stuff, Wolf should at least be able to come back and try to make a team. What does he have to lose?

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

He said that he was going to be back in 2014. Given how pitchers come back from Tommy John, sometimes even adding a tick or two, I think it's likely he'll be back.

I mean, if he's committed to it, there aren't enough good pitchers out there that Randy Wolf isn't going to be given a chance. And looking at his overall career...he's a pretty impressive pitcher.

Overall, given the general consensus behind MLB contracts, that you usually have to pay for an extra year and bite the bullet to sign a player, especially in Milwaukee, I think in that respect, we got what we paid for in him. The last year was a wash, the first two overall pretty good.

For jumping into the free agency market for pitchers, it's certainly not a cautionary tale like a certain former Cardinal.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

"The last year was a wash"

Not exactly. He took up a spot that it turned out eventually was more than adequately filled internally. The problem with the theory that you have to give a guy one extra year to get a player to sign is that unless you are prepared to pull the plug quickly that final year, it can cost you dearly. The Brewers waited too long to pull the plug on him in large part because they had so much invested in him.

Archived