Brewer Fanatic

Possible Trade Targets - Starting Pitching

I think Gamel and Maldanado will play vital role's on next year's brewer team. I really see nothing wrong with paying Edwin Jackson. He'll probably be the last free agent starter we will need to pay (not counting resigning Gallardo again) for a healthy number of years. As long as it's not a big overpay, let's keep our talent and sign out number two starter.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To me, it's clear that a #4 type is exactly the type of SP on which the Brewers shouldn't be looking to spend. They have around a half-dozen guys who could very realistically fill the #4 & #5 spots, and most of them are young pitchers who shouldn't be blocked because they need the MLB innings.

Capuano might provide good value, but I don't think he's a good fit for the Crew.

I wouldn't go Capuano because they already have Narveson. That's not to say they can't look for value though. I'd consider Liriano, who could be anything from a #2 to a #5, or a guy who's solid, but can also pitch out of the pen if the young guys beat him out. Guys like Correia and Villanueva fit that bill.

I think Gamel and Maldanado will play vital role's on next year's brewer team. I really see nothing wrong with paying Edwin Jackson. He'll probably be the last free agent starter we will need to pay (not counting resigning Gallardo again) for a healthy number of years. As long as it's not a big overpay, let's keep our talent and sign out number two starter.

Trading for a pitcher is probably plan B.

That being said, if getting Shields or Hellickson means including Maldonado, that should be something to think about. With Lucroy signed to a long-term contract, Maldonado is clearly going to be the backup. And backup catchers can be had for fairly cheap.

dont get me wrong- i love the idea of having 2 starter quality catchers but i think you have to consider including maldy in a trade if you can get a hellickson type. i want gamel to be a success (i've spent quite a bit on gamel auto'd memorabilia) and if he did it in milwaukee that'd be even better but he's expendable. if you could get alex cobb for either i think you do it.

I put this in another thread, but I thought it applies well here as a response to the bolded part of your quoted statement:

Whoever we'd sign to a 3-year deal had better be pretty darn sure to be better than a middle-of-the-rotation guy for at least the next three years. Edwin Jackson is a fine pitcher, but his career ERA is 4.40 and he's only had two seasons in his career with an ERA under 4.00. He doesn't strike out that many (6.87 career K/9), his K/BB is only 1.95, and his career WHIP is 1.44. Are we absolutely positive that he is going to be one of our best five pitchers in 2014 or 2015? I'd say that the only two who fit in that category are Greinke and Sanchez. Melvin's already said that Greinke's not going to happen, so I'd say that if we can't sign Sanchez (which is pretty unlikely), I wouldn't go multiple years on anyone. We'll have plenty of pitching after that one-year deal is over.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I disagree with you here, Monty. We are going to spend money this offseason. Basically, we have to hope Edwin Jackson is a better way than the many other ways we can waste money. I have confidence Jackson will be a 2/3 anyway, but the brewers are not going to be in much trouble if he ends up being Randy Wolf. We will still be good and competitive with finances in order just fine.

it would be nice but i HIGHLY doubt we have what it would take. if we do have enough, it would cripple our system worse then it already is.

I'm not so sure about that. The Dbacks have really soured on Bauer and he maybe someone the Brewers could get rather cheaply. I would still try and explore a Gallardo for Upton, Bauer, and a low level prospect trade but I believe the Dbacks are one of the teams that are on Gallardo's list that he can block a trade to.

I believe the Brewers could do something like Fiers, Rogers, and Prince for Bauer. I think I would do that deal as I am not confident in Rogers staying healthy and I believe Fiers is going to regress and be more like Collmenter was this year for the Dbacks. Prince is a utility player and not really worth much and depending on how far the Dbacks have soured on Bauer this could be a rather realistic trade scenario. Regardless I don't see Bauer bringing back more than one solid piece in a trade. Another option would be to trade Gennett for Bauer straight up this would be kind of like the Garza for Young trade the Twins and the Rays did.

Another option would be to trade Gennett for Bauer straight up this would be kind of like the Garza for Young trade the Twins and the Rays did.

Young was one of the top (if not the top) prospects in all of MLB at the time. Gennett for Bauer isn't close to being realistic.

I think your first idea was on the right track, although given the return the Padres got for Latos, I'm not sure Rogers/Fiers/Prince would quite be enough. It's definitely a good starting point, though. I think the idea of two young cost-controlled arms in exchange for Bauer would at least get Towers listening. If I'm Towers, I probably insist one of those arms is Peralta, but you never know how trade discussions can go.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

...Another option would be to trade Gennett for Bauer straight up this would be kind of like the Garza for Young trade the Twins and the Rays did.

Except that deal wasn't that simple:

Twins got: Delmon Young, Brendan Harris, & Jason Pridie

Rays got: Matt Garza, Jason Bartlett, & minor leaguer Eduardo Morlan

The D'Backs haven't "soured" on Bauer. Bauer is still a huge prospect capable of commanding a good return and who is under financial control for years. I am not sure if we offered Gallardo for Bauer straight up they would do it.

And I am not stating that I want to trade Gallardo. Gennett for Bauer is not realistic. They aren't in the same league as prospects. If you believe they are, you are overvaluing Gennett.

If fiers/Rogers/prince gets bauer someone really hates this kid. That offer doesnt even get a conversation going. They are very deep at starting pitchers, they would be looking for position players and Im sure they could do better then scooter/our best 3b prospect/prince/ and anyone else We could offer. I could actually see the cubs getting him with a package of vitters/jackson/ and one more piece. Bauers ceiling is very high.

The D'Backs haven't "soured" on Bauer.

From the MLBTR post Mudville9 linked: "The right-hander has fallen out of favor with some in the organization."

Bauer by all accounts is still a top 10 prospect. You don't "sauer" on a top ten prospect. You say you do to dangle him out there to see what type of return you can get at the Gm Meetings. I'm not saying that Bauer won't be traded from the D'Backs as they have incredible front-line prospect pitching depth.

I'm just saying that the people tossing out these rumors need to realize that Bauer is still the equivalent of gold in the prospect world; a possible front-line starter who's under financial control for years.

It would still take a lot to get Bauer.

The D'Backs haven't "soured" on Bauer.

From the MLBTR post Mudville9 linked: "The right-hander has fallen out of favor with some in the organization."

Bauer by all accounts is still a top 10 prospect. You don't "sauer" on a top ten prospect. You say you do to dangle him out there to see what type of return you can get at the Gm Meetings. I'm not saying that Bauer won't be traded from the D'Backs as they have incredible front-line prospect pitching depth.

I'm just saying that the people tossing out these rumors need to realize that Bauer is still the equivalent of gold in the prospect world; a possible front-line starter who's under financial control for years.

It would still take a lot to get Bauer.

I think most people reading here realize that. It's an exciting idea. The reason I posted the snippet I did in response to you was that I took your post to mean you had no idea where nate82 got the idea about the DBacks not being as high on Bauer anymore.

Oh, also, "sauer" ... nice!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think 5-10 other teams will heavily pursue Bauer more than us. I don't think Doug would target a top young pitching prospect this offseason, even if you disagree with this logic. I think Doug is fine with his young starting pitching prospects and will look to a variety of other areas this offseason instead.

What about prospect for prospect? Peralta or Thornburg and some lesser prospect for Bauer.

Hmmmmm.......... a 50-60th ranked prospect for a 5-10th ranked prospect. I don't see why they wouldn't do that. SERIOUSLY GUYS- no one we have gets the d-backs 3rd best pitching prospect, let alone their best.

What about prospect for prospect? Peralta or Thornburg and some lesser prospect for Bauer.

Hmmmmm.......... a 50-60th ranked prospect for a 5-10th ranked prospect. I don't see why they wouldn't do that. SERIOUSLY GUYS- no one we have gets the d-backs 3rd best pitching prospect, let alone their best.

This.

And people, Josh Prince is barely a prospect at this point, and certainly doesn't have any trade value. I know it's standard to overvalue your own players but he's had one good AFL.

Id pass on nolasco. Hes not worth the 11.5 m he makes next year.

The Brewers paid Wolf about that amount last year, and frankly I'd rather have Nolasco. He fits the bill for a one year guy who'll give you innings without a long term commitment. True you'd like him for considerably less but we aren't talking about that much in the big picture even if you took the entire amount, plus it wouldn't take much to get him.

Archived