Brewer Fanatic

Play In Game Format

rluzinski
What is supposed to be proven that wasn't in a 162 games schedule? We already know who the best teams are. There is nothing a seven game series outcome can provide to show those 162 games didn't get it right except being able to win specific games in specific circumstances.

There are many considerations that need to be weighed when created a playoff format. Fans don't want to think that the best teams don't have a fair opportunity to demonstrate that they are the better team. 9 innings does not provide a very good opportunity. Again, it might be compared to the NFL wildcard game being 12 minutes long. It runs the risk of feeling like a coin flip.

Now, if the wildcard play in game actually were played against the 4th and 5th best teams in each league, I wouldn't really care. In the AL, I don't think that anyone could argue that this year, however. Then, it comes down to just being lucky enough to play in an inferior division. Not very satisfying to me.

There really is no right or wrong answer here. I have a sneaking suspicion that the one game playoff won't be a long very long, however.

I don't like the one game playoff. But I didn't like the divisional playoffs either. Baseball's gotten too far away from it's roots. Thirty teams is such an unbalanced number. I'd eliminate the divisions all together and go with 2 15 team leagues. Play each team in your own league 10 times per year. Play 22 games vs. 5 teams in the other league. The top 4 in each league make the playoffs with the top 2 getting home field in first round. If some years, there's no drama in September, so be it. That's been true for much of baseball history and it doesn't make the game any less appealing.

"Just get rid of divisions. They're useless since there are those crazy airplane things now."

What if Bud suggested that we go back to simply an AL and NL league (with balanced inter-league. Now that there will be 15 teams on each side, baseball could go with a more radical plan and have 8 teams in for each league. Play 3/5 unit the LCS, then go with 4/7 for botht he LCS and the WS.

I suggest 3/5 for the first 2-rounds and then the 4/7 for the final two so it keeps the amount of possible playoff games in-line with the current format and allows the season to end near or close to Oct 31.

I really wanted the Braves to win, but it's been clear for some time God loves Satan has a deal with the Cardinals. I'm jealous and sad about that, but that's the way it is.

Fixed that for you. Except you probably don't want to be jealous of someone who's in with Lucifer.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Yeah change is bad and if they move away from how it was 30 years ago to keep their fan base it is a big mistake. I get not liking the new format but don't say you don't like it just because it isn't how baseball has always been.

They needed to expand the playoffs and they needed to shorten the series to keep today's fans interested in the game. Baseball is kind of in a tough spot because of the rich statistical history of the game so it is hard to modify much of the actual game but the playoffs have some room for changes.

Just get rid of divisions. They're useless since there are those crazy airplane things now.

I'm fine with keeping divisions and awarding a playoff spot to any division winner, but then once a season ends, seed the playoffs based on records. The teams with the 4th and 5th best records have to play the play in game.

But then what would you do in a year like this year where Detroit wins its division, but has the 7th best record?
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

But then what would you do in a year like this year where Detroit wins its division, but has the 7th best record?

I believe that "4th and 5th best records" in Danzig's post refers to those teams that qualified for the playoffs: the 3 division winners and the 2 wild cards would be ranked 1-5; #4 & #5 would be in the play-in game regardless of how they qualified for the playoffs. Should that mean two division winners playing each other, so be it.

It's certainly an intriguing thought to tweak the current system. I'd be more interested in scrapping divisions and having a balanced schedule like JohnBriggs suggested above. Though I might suggest having 5 teams qualify with #4 & #5 having a play-in game.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I realize the Tigers were a division winner, and not a 'play in' team, but with the Tigers holding a 2-0 lead on the Spankees, and the Cards up 1-0 on the Giants, we're facing the very real possibility of the only 2 teams that made it to the post-season with less than 90 wins making it to the world series.

regular season /#doesn't matter.

Archived