Brewer Fanatic

2013 Draft Order

• 7 months later...

That #72 pick is the competitive balance pick the Brewers were awarded in MLB's first Competitive Balance Lottery last July:

The lottery, scheduled to take place Wednesday at 1:30 p.m. ET in New York, is a mechanism designed to help teams perceived to need the most assistance by awarding extra Draft picks to some of them. The 10 smallest-market teams and 10 lowest-revenue teams will have the chance to win one of six extra selections in the 2013 First-Year Player Draft.

Those half-dozen picks will be made at the conclusion of the first round, following the compensation selections. Because there is obvious crossover between those two groups, there are 13 teams entered into the first-round lottery: the D-backs, Orioles, Indians, Royals, A's, Pirates, Padres, Rays, Reds, Rockies, Marlins, Brewers and Cardinals. The odds of winning a Draft pick will be based on each team's winning percentage in the previous season.

There will be a second group of six picks, to be made after the conclusion of the second round. The teams from the first group that did not get one of the early picks will be re-entered, along with any other Major League team that receives revenue sharing. This year, only one team -- the Tigers -- will be added to the second lottery.

MLBTradeRumors has an interesting piece titled, "How Valuable Are Competitive Balance Draft Picks?" The article shares the pick order & numbers...

34. Royals

35. Marlins (from Pirates)

36. Diamondbacks

37. Orioles

38. Reds

39. Tigers (from Marlins)

69. Padres

70. Rockies

71. A's

72. Brewers

73. Marlins (from Tigers)

... and also takes a cursory look at what kind of approximated value can be assigned to these picks. Definitely worth a read.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

As long as we are talking draft order right here, I might just add that while losing our first round pick is never good, between the elimination of a lot of comp picks, the addition of the competitive balance pick and teams flat-out losing picks due to signing players, the Brewers first 3 picks are all before 100. In the past our second round pick has been in the 70-90 range and our third round pick between 90-105 or so. If we look at the fact that we get three picks in the top 90, that is exactly one pick per round average. Not bad. Lets hope they nail all three.

The draft is a week away, really stinks the Brewers signed lohse and gave up our 1st round pick. Here is the draft order:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2013/order.jsp

The Brewers first pick is at 54. But then have a competitive balance pick at 72 and then their 3rd rounder at 90.

I just learned the Yankee's have 3 first round picks. Awesome.

I think for this years draft the Brewers first 10 picks should be pitchers. Take a page out of the Packers draft from last year when they drafted all defense.

Imagine Jim Valvano's speech when he said, "Don't give up, don't ever give up."

That's exactly how I see the top of the draft, "Don't reach, don't ever reach."

I have no problem at all with a team drafting heavy for whatever their organization needs most, but I think they should start with talent, with draft grades, and go from there. If a great catcher somehow makes it to a team that needs infielders...take the catcher, and go from there.

Once you get past the players your scouts like most, I think loading up hardcore on bats, arms, whatever, is fine.

Community Moderator

2013 MLB Draft schedule...

Thursday, June 6th

begins at 5:00pm CT

coverage on MLB Network and MLB.com

Round 1, Comp A, Round 2, Comp B

Friday, June 7th

begins at 11:30am CT

coverage on MLB.com

Rounds 3-10

Saturday, June 8th

begins at 12:00pm CT