Brewer Fanatic

Brewers 2012-2013 Offseason Optimism Thread

torts
I JUST WANTED TO TOP THIS FOR MY ENTHUSIASM FOR THE 2013 SEASON!!!!!!!!! I CANT WAIT!!!!!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we'll see a lot of players sign pretty quickly in november, I dont think you'll see many drag out to end of December anymore

Why?

•November 4th - Free agents can sign contracts with teams other than their former clubs

•November 9th - Players must accept or reject qualifying offers

•November 7th - 9th - GM Meetings

thats why

Still think we are going to see more quick signings?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Why?

•November 4th - Free agents can sign contracts with teams other than their former clubs

•November 9th - Players must accept or reject qualifying offers

•November 7th - 9th - GM Meetings

thats why

maybe, maybe I was off, but all it takes is one player signing for the floodgates to open up

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

maybe, maybe I was off, but all it takes is one player signing for the floodgates to open up

I was hoping you were right but was afraid Spring training was the date most free agents were concerned with. Doesn't really pay to sign a contract early. Whomever signs first is likely to miss out on some money. Maybe most will sign by mid December. Still a possibility.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I was hoping you were right but was afraid Spring training was the date most free agents were concerned with. Doesn't really pay to sign a contract early. Whomever signs first is likely to miss out on some money. Maybe most will sign by mid December. Still a possibility.

sounds like a number of players are on the verge of signing with teams... Broxton, Madson, Rivera, Ichiro, Pettite maybe Martin. Of course, players like Greinke and Hamilton will probably still take a month or so, but a lot of the decent - to pretty great players could sign here in the next week or two. not that pettite REALLY falls in that category, but once you've gotten a couple guys signed to deals it sets the benchmark for the rest of free agency.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Cubs close to signing Feldman

Martin is looking at Pirates, Rangers and someone else not the Yankees apparently.

Rockies are interested now in Correia and Francis... if either of them get Feldman type money then it'll be a sign of mediocre pitchers getting paid

Mets offered Wright a 7yr extension/Rays just extended Longoria 6 more years...

things are really starting to pick up, even if the players are not current Free Agents, it further locks up the market for those who are available.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Winter Meetings are next week. cant wait!

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

you post about how not much has happened and then all these players start signing... upton being the latest. crazy

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

. . . Doesn't really pay to sign a contract early. Whomever signs first is likely to miss out on some money. Maybe most will sign by mid December. Still a possibility.

Often that's correct, but some years work out like a couple years ago did when Renteria signed an absurd 2-yr. deal w/ the Giants ($18M total?), plus another guy or two signed big money early, and then the market proved that those contracts were the inflated/outlier ones, not the latter ones.

Lots of small trades & two bigger-name guys signing today . . . I'm glad it's getting interesting -- also typical as the Winter Meetings are around the corner.

One thing I've learned to trust Melvin on the vast majority of the time is that when we don't hear about much Brewers activity (esp. when most else is quiet), it seems to mean the Brewers are out there approaching the right guys but doing so sensibly, and also talking logically & realistically in trade discussions rather than fantasy-type moves. . . . in other words, he & the FO are doing diligent groundwork which could possibly lead to a good acquisition or two, and most likely NOT leading to knee-jerk or otherwise boneheaded moves.

winter meetings in Nasville start today! THE WAIT IS OVER! TIME TO WAIT SOME MORE!

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

• 2 weeks later...
ALREADY MELVIN LETS MAKE SOME MAGIC HAPPEN HERE AND SIGN SOMEONE GREAT FOR REASONABLE TERMS AND GET FIRED UP.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

ALREADY MELVIN LETS MAKE SOME MAGIC HAPPEN HERE AND SIGN SOMEONE GREAT FOR REASONABLE TERMS AND GET FIRED UP.

Of course what DM says publicly and what he's really working on can look worlds different...he sounded pretty convincing in the audio from last night. It sounds to me like the Brewers aren't going to reach for anyone, and they aren't budging on giving any SP a max of 2 years. Again, I understand part of that is publicspeak directed specifically at agents, but I also believe DM has a certain financial plan and he isn't deviating from it.

I am 100% okay with that! I am optimistic that he'll find an arm or two that will be comfortable with a 2 year deal that will be able to contribute to the teams success, while giving our prospects an opportunity to continue to develop

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

I am 100% okay with that! I am optimistic that he'll find an arm or two that will be comfortable with a 2 year deal that will be able to contribute to the teams success, while giving our prospects an opportunity to continue to develop

Well, Correia is off the board, having agreed to a 2 year deal for $10 million with the Twins. That's another reasonable deal for a guy who could have eaten some innings.

I'm beginning to think the Brewers are feeling reasonably confident that the numbers put up last year by Estrada, and Fiers were not flukes and that from Rogers, Peralta, Narveson and Thornburg, they can fill out a rotation that will be competitive enough to win enough games to stay in contention over the first half with one of the best offenses in the NL, then see what is out there for midseason deals for an established starter.

Archived