Brewer Fanatic

Brewers 2012-2013 Offseason Optimism Thread

torts
As the Hart contract expires at the end of 2013, I would love to see Lucroy make the move away from catcher to another position (right field or first base, like Charlie Moore did). Maldanado moves into the main catcher position with a third catcher (power lefty, like Kottaras) as the backup. That backup needs to also be able to play another position like first base. I love having three catchers on the roster as it gives you that extra pinch hitter option every game and does not "waste" the reserve catcher position. We have our best defensive catcher playing the majority of games and have great flexibility.

A bench of Biachi (ss, 2b, 3b), Green (3b, 2b 1b), Schafer (of), extra lefty catcher. and a cheaper version of Corey Hart (of, 1b, 3b) maybe it is Gamel maybe a right handed hitter.

With a starting lineup of..

Weeks 2b

Aoki rf

Braun lf

Ramerez 3b

Lucroy 1b

Gomez cf

Segura ss

Maldanado c

I love the way that lineup looks like two 1-4. When the first inning end with Ramerez, having Lucroy and Gomez 1-2 is similar to Weeks and Aoki.

I do not think that this is a good permanant option. Lucroy is an excellent receiver with an adequate arm who is an incredible offensive asset as a C, but is likely just hovering above replacement value as a 1b/RF (he's not a .320 hitter.). Meanwhile, Maldonado is a good receiver with an excellent arm, and will likely hit around replacement level. I wouldn't mind if Lucroy caught 3 or 4 days a week and played 1st/RF 1 or 2 days a week, but he is a good, young catcher who can hit that guys not named Randy Wolf enjoy throwing to. It just doesn't make sense to move him.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He didn't have a healthy season this year either so those questions have not gone away.

Here played in all but 13 games which was 8th for all of 3B in baseball. He may have not have been perfectly healthy but he played more games that your average MLB starter so I dont think I would say he didnt have a healthy season. What is a healthy season? Playing every game. Over the course of 162 games - I would assume missing 10-15 games is pretty normal which is right where Ramirez was at and he put up the 3rd best offensive numbers for any 3B.

So Ramirez wasn't gimping around for a few weeks barely able to run? Sure he still played but he wasn't exactly healthy.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Lucroy is an above-average catcher. He would be a below-average 1B/OF. I'm not sure why so many people want him moved off catcher.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

He didn't have a healthy season this year either so those questions have not gone away.

Here played in all but 13 games which was 8th for all of 3B in baseball. He may have not have been perfectly healthy but he played more games that your average MLB starter so I dont think I would say he didnt have a healthy season. What is a healthy season? Playing every game. Over the course of 162 games - I would assume missing 10-15 games is pretty normal which is right where Ramirez was at and he put up the 3rd best offensive numbers for any 3B.

So Ramirez wasn't gimping around for a few weeks barely able to run? Sure he still played but he wasn't exactly healthy.

By that metric there was no one on the Brewers healthy this season.

Ramirez is no spring chicken - injury questions won't ever go away for veteran players...I'd argue that Braun has just as many injury questions as Ramirez but I'm willing to accept a near triple crown season from him. By all accounts Ramirez had a bounce-back season in Milwaukee even though he was never terrible as a Cub. The Brewers do need to have a viable option to back in up at 3B next season so he can continue getting days off to keep him from breaking down.

I expect us to pick up a mid range starter and a couple bullpen guys and a backup OF and walk into next year with 85ish win talent and hope we end up in playoffs. I don't think any Brewer will win an award for last year though.

As for 3B, it is a not a durable position. It isn't quite as bad as say SS but you don't see many 3B stay healthy long term especially as they get older. He probably will have a couple weeks off every year from here on out.

WE GOT A GOOD THING COMING FOR 2013!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Between Gamel, Green, Ishikawa, & Bianchi, they certainly have plenty of IF reserves . . . plus the possibility of bringing Gonzalez back, which would bump Bianchi back to AAA for sure unless he were the backup & Segura were at AAA (not that I'm advocating for Segura at AAA).

I could see one reserve OF like maybe a Reed Johnson type (Reed Johnson himself wouldn't be a bad move), although that may be the role Ishikawa fills if they play around w/ Gamel &/or Green in the OF as well.

However you slice the backup IF & OF situations, I sure like our offense overall going into next year, esp. if Rickie comes back healthy & playing well. . . . To me, it's really the pitching where some crafty/precise GM work needs to be done. . . . And even then, the fact that some of the younger/cheaper arms are positioned to contribute based on positive MLB contribution already, we can be pleased knowing Melvin likely won't feel he needs to bring in 5-6 proven MLB arms!

To my thinking, the most shrewd GM-ing Melvin needs to do this winter doesn't lie in those 2-3-4 MLB moves (1 OF reserve, maybe 1 SP, for sure a couple BP arms), but in making sure there's plenty of depth to draw from beyond those seemingly inevitable MLB moves. Quality depth is what saved our cans down the stretch this year when we got hot -- having capable talent ready to fill MLB roles & gaps created by injuries, trades/releases, & demotions.

I do not think that this is a good permanant option. Lucroy is an excellent receiver with an adequate arm who is an incredible offensive asset as a C, but is likely just hovering above replacement value as a 1b/RF (he's not a .320 hitter.). Meanwhile, Maldonado is a good receiver with an excellent arm, and will likely hit around replacement level. I wouldn't mind if Lucroy caught 3 or 4 days a week and played 1st/RF 1 or 2 days a week, but he is a good, young catcher who can hit that guys not named Randy Wolf enjoy throwing to. It just doesn't make sense to move him.[/i

That is what I am thinking. Our lineup should be fluid as to give rest when needed and absorb injuries when they happen.

I'm a little late on this type of post, but I'm very excited for this offseason. I can't wait to hear more about our young guys and what they've been up to in the offseason. As an earlier poster said, there isn't a ton that "needs" to be done, but there are some little things to sure up. It makes things way less stressful when you don't have massive holes to fill.

Question on bullpen.... Is it even possible to know how your bullpen will perform prior to a season? I mean, it seems like that's the hardes thing to predict. I know we need to add some arms, but I'm always hesitant to grade them until half way through a season.....and that didn't even work this year!

I dont think there is anywhere else on the entire internet where Reed Johnson is talked more about than this forum

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Had we not had the late season upswing, I think we would have seen some "radical" (for Melvin) moves, like trading away Hart prior to losing him to free agency, and letting some moderately unproven players fill important roles. The late season upswing makes it "safe" for Melvin to stick with what he's done the last few years. Thankfully, we were able to trade away Greinke to find a long-term solution to our biggest gaping hole and strengthen our pitching depth. I don't think we need to do much, but here's my guess at the offseason:

SP: We should probably just go with what we've got, since the "young" guys proved that they belong in the majors. I doubt Melvin will do this, as he will feel we need another "proven" arm. With this in mind, I hope he signs someone with talent who needs to rebuild his value on a one-year deal. My guess is that we'll see another trade where we give up some of our young pitchers for a veteran with a couple of years left on his contract.

RP: I think Melvin will sign at least one, and likely two veterans to fill the setup roles. Other than that I have no idea how the bullpen will play out.

C: We're set here, and I really hope he doesn't include Maldonado in a trade, since I like having two talented catchers on the roster. I worry that Maldonado will be involved in the trade to bring in the SP listed above.

3B: Ramirez is now a Brewer for 2013 & 2014. He won't be traded this offseason, and he won't be tradeable next offseason. He is a good hitter, so as long as he stays healthy and doesn't have the inevitable age-based decline, we should be okay. Even though he proved he couldn't play the position, the Brewer brass has already hinted that Gamel will be the backup at 3B next year, and Green will be in AAA as another option should Ramirez get hurt.

SS: We should just go with Segura and Bianchi. There is a good chance that we re-sign Gonzalez, which brings the question of who should go to AAA. I don't see Gonzalez signing to a backup role, so either Binachi or Segura will be the bench player. Segura should start, but I could see him sitting the bench or playing the season in AAA.

2B: Weeks. Bianchi will be the backup (maybe Segura, see above), with Green in AAA if needed.

1B: I still think Melvin should see what the market is for Hart, as I think he would bring back a boatload of talent. Since that isn't going to happen, Hart is our 1B with Gamel on the bench and Morris in AAA. The big question is whether or not Melvin will extend Hart this offseason. If he does, then look for Melvin to trade Gamel and/or Morris.

LF: Braun with Schafer and Gamel backing up.

CF: Gomez will start full time to start the season, but I could see Schafer working his way into a platoon role as the season progresses.

RF: Aoki with Schafer and Gamel backing up.

The only surprise I could see happening this offseason would be a trade for a SP. Other than that, we'll probably rebuild the bullpen and stand pretty well pat everywhere else.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Guy put up a .900 OPS (6th best for qualifiers in the NL) and played steady, if not spectacular D. Oh, he set a career high for stolen bases as well! Yes, he did gimp around for a few weeks, I don't think anyone's denying that, but to say he's a big injury question mark after the season he had is maybe a little bit of a stretch, isn't it?

He's 34, he's a 3B, and he's not a small guy. I think most people expect Ramirez to need 15-20 games off. (as another poster pointed out, he took 13 games off this year). As long as he avoids the major injuries, and continues to hit, I think the 'injury question mark' fears are maybe a bit overstated.

I don't think anyone's denying that, but to say he's a big injury question mark after the season he had is maybe a little bit of a stretch, isn't it?

I don't think considering him an injury risk is a stretch at all. He is 34 so that alone throws up some red flags as far as expected injuries. Add in his recent injury history and I think that points to a higher injury risk.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• 2 weeks later...
AND IT BEGINS!!! FA started today at 12:01 AM, qualifying offer period is for the next 7 days. LETS DO THIS, BREWERS!!!!

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

•TODAY - Eligible players hit free agency

•November 1st - Option decisions due

•November 3rd - Qualifying offers due

•November 4th - Free agents can sign contracts with teams other than their former clubs

•November 9th - Players must accept or reject qualifying offers

•November 7th - 9th - GM Meetings

•November 20th - Deadline for setting 40-man roster in advance of Rule 5 Draft

•November 30th - Deadline for teams to tender contracts to arbitration eligible players

•December 3rd - 6th - Winter Meetings

•December 6th - Rule 5 Draft takes place at Winter Meetings

•January - Teams, players exchange arbitration figures

•February - Arbitration hearings take place

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

I think we'll see a lot of players sign pretty quickly in november, I dont think you'll see many drag out to end of December anymore

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

I think we'll see a lot of players sign pretty quickly in november, I dont think you'll see many drag out to end of December anymore

Why?

•November 4th - Free agents can sign contracts with teams other than their former clubs

•November 9th - Players must accept or reject qualifying offers

•November 7th - 9th - GM Meetings

thats why

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

I think the Brewers will try to save some payroll in order to have more money to spend mid-season if needed.

Now that the World Series is over, I find myself oddly excited and optimistic about this winter. I can see Melvin pulling off some big surprise trade this winter. Maybe not to the scale of the Zack Greinke trade, but maybe something close. Except this time I could see dealing a veteran like Weeks or Hart for younger talent.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Qualifying offers due by midnight tonight! roster has been trimmed down to 33, possibly lower still to go! UFA season opens up Sunday at 12:01 AM EST.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Archived