Brewer Fanatic

Miguel Cabrera wins the Triple Crown

Invader3K
Regardless of whether you like WAR or not you shouldn't use games played as a negative for counting stats. If Trout has 150 runs, 60 HR and 150 RBI but only played 81 games and leads baseball in WAR, RC+ and all other 'counting stats' he shouldn't get dinged for only playing 81 games. It is like when people talk about the greatest QBs of all time in football and their number 1 criteria is number of Super Bowl's they won, just makes no sense at all.

Maybe one shouldn't use games played as a negative for counting stats, but I believe games played should matter for the MVP. If Trout had only played in those 81 games, he was completely irrelevant for 1/2 the season, no matter what ridiculous line he put up when he did take the field. The MVP is supposed to reward the most relevant player for his team and the league during a 162 game season. No, it's not Trout's fault that he missed only 14% of the season, but he still didn't play in those games. I see that Cabrera's only real case is the counting stats, and Trout provides everything else, so the few games that Trout actually did miss shouldn't cost him the MVP, but it does count in my opinion.

I think it's really close, and yes, I believe that Cabrera should win the MVP. The rest of my reasons are probably just "awful."

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are some of the people dinging Trout for not playing the whole season some of the same people who thought CC should win the MVP? Don't know, just asking.

Bottom line to me is that he provided more value in a shorter time. He was the best player in the league this year.

reillymcshane said:

Think of it this way: if someone said you could have an exact replica of Trout's or Cabrera's 2012 season (offense and defense) for next year, which would you pick.

I still think Cabrera will win but shouldn't.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

reillymcshane said:

Think of it this way: if someone said you could have an exact replica of Trout's or Cabrera's 2012 season (offense and defense) for next year, which would you pick.

Cabrera. It led his team to the post-season, which resulted in a world series appearance. I'd take Carbrera's season over Trout's. Heck, I'd be put in Scutaro's shoes before Trout's, though doesn't make him an MVP. Trout's flashy defensive play aside and some extra stolen bases aren't enough to say he was the most valuable player to his team's success. He would win all kinds of awards and will, just not MVP in 2012.

There is a difference between thinking the 30 odd R+RBI that Cabrera has over Trout is the difference and thinking the games played are the difference. The games played should be completely ignored, the counting stats shouldn't.

Archived