Brewer Fanatic

Miguel Cabrera wins the Triple Crown

Invader3K

I'm 34 and it's Trout without a doubt.

326/399/564 & 330/393/606 are essentially a wash. When the best hitter in the league is a terrible defender and baserunner and the second best hitter in the league is an elite defender at a premium position and the best baserunner in the league that is more than enough to make up for 36 points of OPS in my mind.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Think of it this way: if someone said you could have an exact replica of Trout's or Cabrera's 2012 season (offense and defense) for next year, which would you pick.

I believe 9 out of 10 people pick Trout. Both players were amazing at the plate, but Trout's defense and base running make him the best player in the AL.

If you want to give Miggy extra credit for his team making the playoffs, that's fine. Some people factor that in. But I think the vast majority of people would take Trout's performance over Miggy's. That doesn't diminish Cabrera's great season. It only shows how awesome Trout was.

That. That right there is why Trout wins it in my book. And I'm 52... I think.

23, Trout.

I don't think this should be difficult, but that's why these discussions are fun I suppose. Both were similarly dominant offensive players. Both put up seasons that would be worthy of an MVP. Trout was an elite defender while Cabrera was a poor defender.

Trout. 36. It's close, but so close that I had to give it extra thought or anything. Cabrera had a wonderful, MVP-caliber season. If he was a Brewer we'd all be going nuts about him winning the Triple Crown. Anyone saying that it's not close in either direction is being overly dramatic or stubborn.

42 and I think any argument for Cabrera is just awful. Braun vs Posey is at least close, this one is a joke. But as I said earlier, a lot of years Cabrera would deserve the MVP, it just comes down to Trout having such an amazing over the top year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I guess age has something to do with it, but I think a more telling identifier would be "who is your pick for MVP, and what stats do you look at first? OBP, wOBA, OPS, or BA, RBI, and runs?"

There's plenty of older folks that subscribe to the new age of baseball metrics.

Oh, and 38, Trout. In a landslide. ;)

Being older and pretty set in my ways, as well as being not very well versed at all in advanced metrics, I look at OPS, BA, RBI, HR in that order for batting, with SB and base running thrown into the mix for offense. For defense, it's mostly the eye test and position played as I really have a hard time understanding the defensive metrics and am not really convinced as to their accuracy/value.

Mostly, as reillymcshane alluded to earlier, I ask myself what player I would take if I could have any player in the given league, assuming that every player in that league would always put up the exact same numbers.

Edit: As I said earlier, 52 and Trout without a doubt.

40, and for me its Cabrera without a doubt.

I haven't seen Trout play much on TV, and never in person. I've seen both on TV and in person Cabrera put up big numbers year in and year out.

Now the great Posey/Braun debate. Posey has put up some very nice numbers in the second half, and with Braun's positive negeative I just don't see Braun winning it. I'm not sure he will ever win it again.

38 - Trout Not really even close unless defense and base running are taken completely out. As was pointed out,

if someone said you could have an exact replica of Trout's or Cabrera's 2012 season (offense and defense) for next year, which would you pick.

OBP

wOBA

WAR

the current and last several years of DRS and UZR/150(to see how much value is from defense, then usually half that and average it)

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

31. Cabrera. Had the Angels made the playoffs, I might give it to Trout. Trout is a more valuable player given the versatility of his tools and his defense, but the historical significance of winning the Triple Crown for a playoff team makes it a pretty easy decision for me. It would be closer had Trout played the whole year as well.

Trout without a doubt.

He should hire you as his campaign manager. That's catchy.

31, and I'm torn. I realize I probably shouldn't be, but I am. It's not just the Triple Crown... I guess the main reason is that I love ISO. Not exactly a good reason, I know. Trout is probably the correct answer, but I don't agree that it's a no-brainer. Playing the whole season is definitely a factor (as is Cabrera's bad defense).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Defense and baserunning are taken out of almost every award in MLB.

Heck, Palmerio won a Gold Glove playing only 28 games at 1B.

38 - Trout Not really even close unless defense and base running are taken completely out. As was pointed out,

if someone said you could have an exact replica of Trout's or Cabrera's 2012 season (offense and defense) for next year, which would you pick.

OBP

wOBA

WAR

the current and last several years of DRS and UZR/150(to see how much value is from defense, then usually half that and average it)

Defense and baserunning are taken out of almost every award in MLB.

They shouldn't be.

Heck, Palmerio won a Gold Glove playing only 28 games at 1B.

Which was an incredibly stupid mistake. I expect more from baseball reporters.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived