Brewer Fanatic

2013 lineup/1B

ewitkows
I think if Gamel hits AFL like he hit AAA they give him first shot at 1B in ST. Move Hart back to RF and Aoki goes to 4th OF/split CF with Gomez. Other than a couple of bench spots it look like our line up will be the same.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Probably not the best idea. Aoki brings something to the table that we so desperately need...a leadoff hitter. Hart is a legit 1B with the power stats that come with it. Gamel unfortunately has not proven he can stay healthy. Gamel off the bench or even traded is the best bet for the Crew. Aoki needs to be in the everyday line-up. period.

I would much rather see Aoki out there than Gamel and keep Hart at first. Tough luck for Gamel but he hasn't shown much in his limited time and if he is a Brewer he will have to produce as a pinch hitter or produce when somebody gets hurt.

I really think Hart's days at RF are over; he has looked great at 1B and Aoki solidified himself as the RF. Hart is such a better 1B than RF. Unless someone gets traded Gamel will be a bench guy, be in AAA, or be on another team.

I think you are weakening the team if you play Gamel at 1st, Hart at RF, and Gomez/Aoki at CF.

The possibility remains that Hart could get traded; but I really think DM will ride him out next year and go with Gamel (if he is still in the organization) or Morris in 2014 (Or Trading deadline 2013)

seriously, what has gamel done that has warranted time at 1B over giving Aoki fulltime in RF? because thats what it comes down to, do you start Gamel or Aoki every day? Aoki gets my vote.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I agree with everyone except the original poster...lol

Moving Hart back to RF would not be very smart.

Aoki and Hart are proven, Gamel is not. Tough break for him, but we have to go with what gives us our best chance to win, and the offense, the way it is now, is by far our best shot at winning next season. There is absolutely no reason to tinker with this offense.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

If Corey is on the team next year he is playing first. Gamel's going to need to learn a new position and tear the cover off the ball if he wants to start anywhere.

... or be able to take advantage of an opportunity that could be presented by another teammate's injury, just like Hart & Aoki did after Gamel's injury to put Gamel into this situation.

There is no reason to start Aoki vs LHP, of course there is no reason to start Gamel vs them either. The bad break for Gamel is that the two guys he is competing with for playtime are also LH. Get a really solid RH platoon type who can play the CI and leave it at that.

Assuming no trades are made, Gamel will be on the bench. However, he can see a lot of playing time if he's willing and able to use a lot of gloves. He could back-up at 1B,3B, and RF. Not to mention a power LH as a PH every night. So he could still get plenty of playing time, especially since all three of those starters at those positions are RH. Where he goes from there depends on his performance, and/or injuries at these positions. But I think that role is a perfect fit for him to start the season.

Melvin/Ash just said in a pres conference:

Hart at 1B

Aoki in RF

Gamel on the bench as utility guy

problem solved. heres hoping Schafer platoons in RF/CF with Aoki/Gomez!

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

I think they'll keep Ishikawa on the bench, too.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Well, it's day one of the offseason and here we are. Here's my take on the non-pitching roster/lineup:

RF Aoki RHP/LHP

2B Weeks RHP/LHP

LF Braun RHP/LHP

1B Hart RHP/LHP

3B Ramirez RHP/LHP

C Lucroy RHP/LHP

CF Gomez RHP/LHP

SS Segura RHP/LHP

Bench: Gamel 1B, Schafer OF, Morgan OF, Green IF, FA UTIL?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Well, it's day one of the offseason and here we are. Here's my take on the non-pitching roster/lineup:

RF Aoki RHP/LHP

2B Weeks RHP/LHP

LF Braun RHP/LHP

1B Hart RHP/LHP

3B Ramirez RHP/LHP

C Lucroy RHP/LHP

CF Gomez RHP/LHP

SS Segura RHP/LHP

Bench: Gamel 1B, Schafer OF, Morgan OF, Green IF, FA UTIL?

Forgot Maldonado. You have four left handed backups. One of Green or Gamel has probably got to go since you need a back up SS.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

C - Lucroy and Maldonado

1B - Hart

2B - Weeks

SS - Segura

3B - Ramirez

LF - Braun

CF - Gomez

RF - Aoki

OF - Schafer - can spell Gomez in CF against some righties

OF - Right handed guy like Reed Johnson - can play both corner spots, even CF in a pinch. Gets some starts against lefties in RF.

INF - Gamel - backs up 3B and 1B

INF - Bianchi - backs up SS and 2B - this spot could easily go to someone else, but he's probably the best option at this point

With Maldonado and the Reed Johnson-like OF you have two decent right handed hitters. Gamel and Schafer should provide the same from the left handed side.

I like Reed Johnson because he's a solid bat against lefties (.822 OPS over the past three years, including .798 last year), plays decent defense at the corners, won't cost too much (probably around $1-1.5 million), and knows his role and does it well.

The starting lineup is heavy on right handers, but if you mix in starts by Gamel and Shafer, that will help.

I think Gamel is more likely to get that OF/INF spot over Johnson only because Ramirez/Hart probably wont be spelled that much, and Gamel would get more chances if he's backing up 1B, 3B, RF/LF.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

As long as Gonzalez isn't brought back, I think Maldonado, Schafer, Gamel, and Bianchi are locks. The last spot may be a veteran guy like Reed Johnson, or just a really good pinch-hitter. Whoever the 5th bench guy is won't get much playing time. Schafer will get playing time in CF, and maybe RF. Gamel will backup 1B, 3B, and probably LF and RF some. Bianchi will backup 2B and SS. That doesn't leave much playing time for the last guy. A veteran clubhouse presence would be nice for that spot.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

If they make ANY changes to the lineup they should ALL be fired. This is a potent bunch, and as has been said, they do everything well. I also can't see where any one of them had a fluke "played out of his mind" year.

I would think that next year will be even better as we would start the year with the lineup we ended this year with. I'm pretty sure that Aoki will be more comfortable and possibly play even better than he did this year. I think Gomez might also have a better year as he finally seems to be "getting it" to a degree, and RR seems ready to let Carlos be Carlos (as has also been said already). I'm also really impressed with Segura thus far and feel he'll get better with maturation as well. Offensively, the sky's the limit.

If they make ANY changes to the lineup they should ALL be fired. This is a potent bunch, and as has been said, they do everything well. I also can't see where any one of them had a fluke "played out of his mind" year.

I would think that next year will be even better as we would start the year with the lineup we ended this year with. I'm pretty sure that Aoki will be more comfortable and possibly play even better than he did this year. I think Gomez might also have a better year as he finally seems to be "getting it" to a degree, and RR seems ready to let Carlos be Carlos (as has also been said already). I'm also really impressed with Segura thus far and feel he'll get better with maturation as well. Offensively, the sky's the limit.

I was thinking about the bolded part yesterday, & came to the same basic conclusion. The only guy I can think of is Lucroy, in that we probably shouldn't expect him to post AVGs around .320. I think his cumulative MiLB slash line is a pretty decent guess, however: .299/.379/.459/.838. I'd probably adjust a generic projection to more like .299/.360/.475/.835, since his BB rate in the bigs is (understandably) lower than it was in the minors, but "mid-800s OPS" would probably suffice. And that's certainly nothing to complain about.

Maldonado might be a regression candidate, but not because of his MiLB numbers, just because he hit pretty well for a rookie catcher & had a Ransom-esque BB/K rate.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 2 weeks later...

My thoughts - based on what Olney reported about the Brewers being a front-runner for Josh Hamilton:

cf: Aoki

2b: Weeks

lf: Braun

rf: Hamilton

3b: A-Ram

1b: Hart

c: Lucroy/Maldonado

ss: Segura

bench: Maldonado/Lucroy, Bianchi, Green, Reed Johnson, Schafer

Traded: Gomez, Gamel

Archived