Brewer Fanatic

Ben Sheets to Retire.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/10/ben-sheets-to-retire.html

Ben Sheets will retire after he pitches tomorrow, Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports (on Twitter). Sheets, who joined the Braves midseason after missing the entire 2011 campaign, said he will never pitch again.

Sheets, 34, made eight starts for the Braves this summer after missing a year to recover from flexor tendon surgery. He posted a 3.54 ERA with 6.1 K/9 and 2.4 BB/9 in 48 1/3 innings for Atlanta this year, re-establishing himself as a legitimate MLB starter.

The Brewers selected Sheets with the tenth overall pick in the 1999 draft and he spent most of his career in Milwaukee. He put together a number of strong seasons with the Brewers, including a memorable 2004 campaign. Sheets posted a 2.70 ERA with 264 strikeouts and just 32 walks in 237 innings that year, finishing eighth in the Cy Young balloting. In ten MLB seasons, Sheets has a 94-96 record, a 3.78 ERA and 1323 strikeouts in 1595 2/3 innings. He has earned more than $52MM as a professional, according to Baseball-Reference.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the Brewers All Time pitching leaderboard, he falls short of Ted Higuera on some stats, and ahead of him on others. For guys with lengthy stays with the team, I would think those two have to be considered as having had the best careers.

And for that, I have to give him credit.

Maybe my expectations for him were just too high--and he was surely burdened by playing on some bad teams--but I still think there could have been more. Though that's also certainly true of Higuera. If he had come along in today's era with pitch counts and a more gentle approach with younger players, I wonder how things would have worked out.

He made a good amount of money, represented the team and city well, didn't complain, made his way back from injury and now gets to spend his time with his family. Congrats to him on a good career and I hope he has a lot of happiness and satisfaction going forward.

Sheets had the misfortune of having his best years before the influx of homegrown Brewers became everyday big-leaguers. I'd argue that he was overused during the early part of his career, particularly 2003 and 2004 when he was the Brewers equivalent of what King Felix is in Seattle - he put up awesome numbers those years for terrible teams, who knows if limiting his workload during those down years could have lengthened his career.

I'll continue to have many fond memories of him, from his dominant 2004 to the summer of 2008 when he and CC dominated the NL for a few months before he broke down.

I love Sheets. Wish he could have stayed healthy for us just a little longer because I honestly believe that was a world series team if he did and Sabathia didn't have to pitch so many extra innings late in the season. I think Gallardo passes him pretty soon on the Brewers all time list though.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
That 2004 season was ridiculous. 10K/9IP and 8.25 K/BB were a joke.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

How great that a guy who experienced that kind of injury frustration (as we all did, right along with him) can retire on a high note. Thanks for some great memories, Ben. Other than Teddy Higuera, the Brewers haven't ever had a starting pitcher do so well for so long. Have a very happy life.

That 2004 season was ridiculous. 10K/9IP and 8.25 K/BB were a joke.

The joke was finishing only 8th in Cy Young that year.

Congrats Sheets. As someone who became a ticket holder in '01, you will always remain my favorite Brewers pitcher of all time.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

almost bought tickets to tonights game to watch him pitch one last time, to find out itwasnt tonight, but today, and I work.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

On the Brewers All Time pitching leaderboard, he falls short of Ted Higuera on some stats, and ahead of him on others. For guys with lengthy stays with the team, I would think those two have to be considered as having had the best careers.

Maybe my expectations for him were just too high--and he was surely burdened by playing on some bad teams--but I still think there could have been more. Though that's also certainly true of Higuera. If he had come along in today's era with pitch counts and a more gentle approach with younger players, I wonder how things would have worked out.

He made a good amount of money, represented the team and city well, didn't complain, made his way back from injury and now gets to spend his time with his family. Congrats to him on a good career and I hope he has a lot of happiness and satisfaction going forward.

I'd put Jim Slaton ahead of Sheets. Slaton won 117 games and had 69 complete games as a Brewer, much of that time while the team was still basically an expansion team and his ERA of 3.86 was accomplished in the AL East of the 70's that had powerhouse Boston, Yankees and Orioles and the designated hitter. Not only that, as a FA, Slaton chose to return to the Brewers after one year in Detroit.

I'd put Jim Slaton ahead of Sheets. Slaton won 117 games and had 69 complete games as a Brewer, much of that time while the team was still basically an expansion team and his ERA of 3.86 was accomplished in the AL East of the 70's that had powerhouse Boston, Yankees and Orioles and the designated hitter. Not only that, as a FA, Slaton chose to return to the Brewers after one year in Detroit.

Let's not forget Mike Caldwell.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I was going to post my own thoughts on his career but when I read this I couldn't think of a better way to sum up my feelings. Thanks for doing the heavy lifting JimH5.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I'll always be grateful to Ben for his time here, and for essentially ruining his arm and throwing his career away helping the Brewers make the playoffs in '08. Literally stayed out there until his arm blew out. The guy was a gamer. It's really a shame that he had so many injuries. Could've been one of the best. Still had a good career. Hope he still has a future in baseball in some manner. He seems to be happy in life, which is most important. He's just happy being back home with his family and coaching his son's team. Nothing wrong with that.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Because he'd be the 6th starting pitcher.

Well then make him a relief pitcher? I don't see how him not being on their post season 25 man = a good thing. He can help the Braves. And plus I would root for Chipper and Bennie to win it all.

Sheets only went 1 inning, but he struck out 2, including the last batter he faced. Fitting way to go out for Benny.

Sheets last pitch was an 0-2, 95 mph fastball on the outer-half to strike out McCutchen. Awesome.

Archived