Brewer Fanatic

2012-2013 Winter Weather thread

Patrick425
  • Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So at the moment, it's looking like upper 30's on Opening Day with a 20% chance of rain. That's not horrible, though if it does rain, it's going to be awfully cold. Still way below normal and not what many of us were hoping for.

So at the moment, it's looking like upper 30's on Opening Day with a 20% chance of rain. That's not horrible, though if it does rain, it's going to be awfully cold. Still way below normal and not what many of us were hoping for.

Yeah, it's going to be one of those "bundle up and see how long you can reasonably tolerate the cold" Opening Day tailgates this year.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Community Moderator

Judging by the latest models, upper 30s is looking generous for Monday. The game time temperature may be below freezing. It will also be very, very windy. Just a brutal day, one of the worst in a long time.

At least there is no snow expected.

At least the sap is starting to run. I almost thought this season was going to be a bust. I cannot wait to listen to the game on Monday with a cold home brew watching the sap boil down.

Community Moderator
OWBC, what are you thinking for this summer across the US, or more importantly WI, when it comes to rain fall?

Right now, the forecast is slightly above normal temperatures with average precipitation. I can't find any indicators that would suggest more or less rainfall than normal, but you never really know with those long term forecasts.

Edit: see this story about central US drought--Wisconsin is no longer in a drought but other regions could be worse in 2013.

Community Moderator
The cold air is coming for sure, there are a couple waves associated with that so they could end up being more intense than the current forecast. Right now it looks like all precipitation on Sunday-Monday will be very light. That is a good thing since it would probably be snow and not rain on Sunday night.

• 2 weeks later...
The 10 day (and even 25 day on Accuweather) does not show much hope. Looks like next week might be a repeat of this week!! I'm getting very tired of it. It's really causing headaches for the High School spring sports schedules.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

So true, Patrick. I'm in my first year of coaching high school ball and we've already lost a third of our season. Four games next week are highly in question now, too. One of the seniors told me that last year they didn't have one practice inside all season. We had a couple of days good enough to go to the parking lot for some flyballs but parts of our field still have a foot of snow on it.

And it's snowing heavily right now. Crazy.

Yeah, luckily for my son, his school plays Summer HS baseball. However, he's also on the golf team. They have not played any matches yet and have had very limited practice opportunities. Tonight they are just going to go over rules in one of the class rooms. He's also playing spring baseball with Racine Hitters. They managed to get in one game this last Saturday, but everything other weekend has been indoors.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Community Moderator

I've been watching the maps. There is a potential for several rounds of thunderstorms/heavy rain again this week. The models have hinted at some snow at the back end of the system, but I would say that anything measurable is unlikely at this point, except in northern and western parts of the state. I wouldn't rule it out though.

There's nothing especially unusual about this weather. I looked back at there were similar stretches of rainy weather and cold temperatures almost every April. In 2007, Milwaukee got 7 inches of snow on April 11th. In the past 10 years, there were several instances of snow from April 15-25.

Last year was a one time thing and a spring like that is unlikely to happen again in our lifetimes.

Archived