Brewer Fanatic

2012-2013 Winter Weather thread

Patrick425
Community Moderator
The weak storms are always harder to forecast than the strong ones. It was a slow moving, long duration event that got some help from the lake. There is probably another more technical explanation also but I wasn't really paying attention.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
Is there a site that lets you find the snow depth by location in text vs. having to discern it from a map?

For Wisconsin you can sort of find that information here or in another format here.

The satellite analysis products are very good, however.

Thanks, obwc. Those links work well for me. I've placed them in the weather folder on my iPad.

The annoyances I've encountered with some of the satellite analysis pages are twofold. One is that the color shades are too "close" together, making it hard to discern one depth range from the next. Another is that the text in a lot of the legends is too small.

I found today that a simple Google search for "snow cover" or "snow depth" (without quotes) plus a location leads me to maps on weatherstreet.com. The snow depth maps on that site are similar to the ones you posted… actual numbers placed on a map. Actually, Siri showed me this. I now know that a really quick way to get a snow depth is simply to ask her.

A secondary issue is that on many weather sites, there's so much information that the answer to the question you're looking for gets buried. Navigation through the sites isn't always the easiest, and searches don't always work for what you're trying to find.

It appears that weather sites are among the many that could improve on "text-only" alternatives. While the maps are good for me, they're all worthless to blind internet surfers.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• 3 weeks later...

Longtime bf.netters might recall that I am one of those rare souls who doesn't imbibe and (for various personal reasons) tends not to make alcohol-based jokes. However, this weather forecast is remarkable and it calls for an exception:

http://i.imgur.com/xKEZaYa.jpg

Really? I'm not afraid of the four seasons, but I do not need to see them all (OK, maybe 3 of the 4) in the space of 2-3 days.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Community Moderator
The weather maps have looked like mid-March almost all winter. There hasn't been any sustained cold air. The next cold spell will be brief again, followed by more temperatures well above normal. There's no cold air making it down here in Miami, it has basically been an endless summer with humidity and highs in the 80s all month.

The constant rain and snow over the last 7 days really has to be helping out the water tables. It seems we have had some precipitation virtually every day for a week.

It looks like the snow forecasts have been downgraded a bit; FDL is being shown as anywhere from 5-7 at this point. Doesn't look like the GB area is going to get as much as originally expected.

The moderate to heavy snow forecast for Madison this morning seems to be on target. The building next door to my library is difficult but not impossible to see. Does anyone else in Wisconsin feel like Mother Nature's punching bag lately?
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Mother nature needs a new prescription for Prozac...she's really getting on my nerves lately. I drive, on average, about 40k miles per year for work and the last couple of weeks have been hell!
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Community Moderator

It could be worse, some of the highest model predictions for the Boston area are 30"-40"+. Most likely the maximum (depending on the rain/snow line) will be around 2 feet.

Still lots of uncertainty with snow in Wisconsin, high boom/bust potential on this one.

Community Moderator

Numerical weather forecasting has really come a long way if we are now to the point of forecasting a blizzard 8-9 days in advance. Unfortunately, I think some of the forecasters jumped the gun on this one.

It looks like a big event for the high plains--Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas. Not sure if the storm will have anything left in the tank by the time it gets to the Midwest. I have my doubts.

Archived