Brewer Fanatic

Chris Perez/Cleveland

Cleveland will deal Shin-Soo Choo this winter, which does the Brewers no good. Cleveland will be considering the futures of several other players as well, as they decide whether they have a nucleus to build around, or whether they need to try again.

Among the possibilities...Chris Perez.

Age 28 next season, made 4.5M this year as a "Super 2", is arbitration eligible this winter, FA after the 2014 season.

Career ERA, 3.17, WHIP 1.17. Perez had a dip in Ks last season, but rebounded this year to a K/9 of 9.4, and a K/BB of 3.93, which was well above his career average of 2.28. Perez has 75 saves in the last two seasons.

Cleveland wants, "young pitching."

If he is made available, I would think Perez is a target for the Brewers this winter.

I think he'll certainly be available, since he's openly criticized Cleveland's front-office. I'm not sure the Brewers are going to be too interested in bullpen guys with that salary level, as he'll certainly get a raise from teh $4.5MM he made this year.

I'd like to keep as much flexibilty as possible and bring in a lot of lower priced guys for spring training. Once you hitch your wagon to one or two guys you're stuck. It might work, like Hawkins & Saito in '11 (for the most part), or it might not (2012 Loe & Veras).

Well they could use a 1B, maybe we could trade them Hart for Perez and others. That would also clear 1B for Gamel.

I don't want to clear 1B for Gamel. Corey was awesome there, no need to mess with what is working.

Corey stays at 1B, and Aoki stays in RF...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Well they could use a 1B, maybe we could trade them Hart for Perez and others. That would also clear 1B for Gamel.

So we're going to give up Hart who's going to make about 10 million for Chris Perez who is in his arby years and is getting expensive for the Indians(neither of which works). This setting aside the fact that Perez had a WAR of .8 the last TWO seasons combined while Hart has had a WAR of 7.2 and who completely solidified our lineup AND roster by moving Aoki to RF and Hart to 1st.

If we're going to make a trade to KEEP Gamel and give him a job at 1st base, I'm probably one of the few believers who still believe he would be very good. As good as Hart in fact, but younger/cheaper.

But I sure as heck would ask for a lot more than Chris Perez. I'd be asking for young talented position players, maybe a young 3rd basemen, a young talented...anything offensively. And if it is for a pitcher, Hart should at least be able to bring back a Johnny Helwegg type prospect, a top 100 prospect with BIG upside.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I don't want to clear 1B for Gamel. Corey was awesome there, no need to mess with what is working.

Corey stays at 1B, and Aoki stays in RF...

He certainly brought things together this year with regard to our lineup and defense, but "awesome," is pushing it a LITTLE bit. He was very good.

Worth more than Chris Perez certainly, and if he could bring a nice return in exchange....it'd be something to consider as I do think that Gamel is a guy certainly capable of replacing Hart at 1st, and you'll need to spend probably 3/36 on Hart whereas Gamel would cost about 3/5 over that same time period.

And "Working," is a relative term. They went on a run after falling 13 games behind, and got fat on some of the worst teams in baseball and had ONE really nice stretch of baseball.

I'm torn here. Hart's 6'6 frame and 30 HR power was awesome to see. But Gamel's frame is good for a 1st basemen, I think he has more range, is more athletic, and I think he could very well hit for more average and only slightly less power as an everyday player...so I'd hate to see him go.

I think Melvin should just play it out. I would see what Hart wants. If it's 3/30 I think I'd be good with that. If it's too much more, I'd go with Gamel and see what you could get. But just because his move to 1st happened to get Aoki into the leadoff spot and he had a monster year and he played well at 1st, I don't think that should lock you into any lineup that doesn't include Corey next year.

Is the difference between Gamel and Hart equal to...lets say, JP Howell, Grant Balfour and a Mike Adams type revamp to our Bullpen?

I'm just saying with Weeks hopefully bouncing back next year, Braun, Aram, healthy Lucroy and Maldy combo, Aoki, Gomez, Segura hopefully maturing, Gamel+the FA money saved and spent wisely, PLUS the prospects MAY be more valuable than Just Corey Hart.

Plus I'll remind just once more, Hart has had knee surgeries in back to back spring trainings, and was hurt down the stretch. He gutted it out, and he's certainly not soft...just things to consider. I certainly won't be upset to see him back next year as it does change things having a 1B that size, but again, Gamel's pertty long and athletic himself.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Age 28 next season, made 4.5M this year as a "Super 2", is arbitration eligible this winter, FA after the 2014 season.

Career ERA, 3.17, WHIP 1.17. Perez had a dip in Ks last season, but rebounded this year to a K/9 of 9.4, and a K/BB of 3.93, which was well above his career average of 2.28. Perez has 75 saves in the last two seasons.

Cleveland wants, "young pitching."

If he is made available, I would think Perez is a target for the Brewers this winter.

I would be pretty upset if the Brewers deal any quality young SPing for relief arms, especially if they'd only be getting two seasons out of said RP arm(s).

Perez gives you roughly 60 IP/season of a mid- or low-3's ERA. I don't want to have to pay $5M+ AAV for that, let alone have to give up someone like Jimmy Nelson or Nick Bucci for it. I guess obviously how much I'd hate a deal like this would depend on what "young pitching" means, in terms of value.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

So we're going to give up Hart who's going to make about 10 million for Chris Perez who is in his arby years and is getting expensive for the Indians(neither of which works). This setting aside the fact that Perez had a WAR of .8 the last TWO seasons combined while Hart has had a WAR of 7.2 and who completely solidified our lineup AND roster by moving Aoki to RF and Hart to 1st.

If we're going to make a trade to KEEP Gamel and give him a job at 1st base, I'm probably one of the few believers who still believe he would be very good. As good as Hart in fact, but younger/cheaper.

But I sure as heck would ask for a lot more than Chris Perez. I'd be asking for young talented position players, maybe a young 3rd basemen, a young talented...anything offensively. And if it is for a pitcher, Hart should at least be able to bring back a Johnny Helwegg type prospect, a top 100 prospect with BIG upside.

Look at the two words I typed after "Perez".

HiAndTight's point was that Perez is not even in the same league as Corey in terms of trade value. The "others" would have to be significantly more valuable than Perez. At $4.5M, you shouldn't really have to give up much of anything to get Perez as he's not coming at much of a discount to what he'd earn in free agency. If we are unable to get any decent relievers in free agency, you could just take a guy like Jimmy Nelson and have him pitch out of the pen for a while. It might not be ideal for his development, but a guy like Lance Lynn pitched out of the pen during the stretch run in '11 and then turned out a pretty good season as a starter this year.

HiAndTight's point was that Perez is not even in the same league as Corey in terms of trade value. The "others" would have to be significantly more valuable than Perez.

Agree. It could be palatable to trade Hart for a top MLB-ready prospect, with Perez as the "other" to add some talent and even out salary for Cleveland. It would not be palatable to trade Hart for a package in which Perez was the top talent coming back. I've typed "trade Hart" as much as anyone, but if we cannot get a good package back for him (including at least one top MLB-ready prospect or pre-arby guy), then he should be our 1B next year.

I haven't scoured the free agent reliever market, but I would guess that for a two-year, $10-12MM deal, we could land a pretty good reliever without having to trade someone of value away.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• 1 month later...
I've read a lot about Cleveland having a couple guys I really like on the trade market in Shin Soo Choo, Chris Perez and Justin Masterson. I think all 3 of them would fit in very well with the Brewers, and potentially fill all of our holes. The question is, what would it take to get all 3 of them and would it be worth it? What would it take to just get Masterson and Perez, since pitching is more of a need?

I don't see them as that great a fit. They are so lacking in starting pitching I don't see them giving up a 200+ inning guy in Masterson. I'm not sure the Choo fits either. Brewers are happy with Aoki. As for Perez, I think the Brewers are committed to Axford as their closer.

Archived