Brewer Fanatic

2013 Bullpen

Bombers
I mentioned this guy in the trade forum, but Jon Rauch is a veteran I'd pursue. It's always a crap shoot building a bullpen, as guys tend to be inconsistent, but even though Rauch's ERA has fluctuated, over the last 4 seasons, his WHIP hasn't exceeded 1.346. He's also been durable averaging 65 appearances over that time. That and the fact that he's got some closing experience, makes him comparable in my mind to Salamon Torres.

Sign me up for Rauch. These are the guys I hope we can target and get.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Kameron Loe - R - Brewers

The Brewers are not expected to retain right-hander Kameron Loe this offseason.

Jose Veras and Manny Parra are also considered non-tender candidates, according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. The Brewers' bullpen figures to look dramatically different next season. Francisco Rodriguez, who made $8 million in 2012, also won't be back.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel Oct 27 - 3:21 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------

Can I get an AMEN!?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Kameron Loe - R - Brewers

The Brewers are not expected to retain right-hander Kameron Loe this offseason.

Jose Veras and Manny Parra are also considered non-tender candidates, according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. The Brewers' bullpen figures to look dramatically different next season. Francisco Rodriguez, who made $8 million in 2012, also won't be back.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel Oct 27 - 3:21 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------

Can I get an AMEN!?

You know, it might be wrong to give up on some of these guys, but I'm okay with it. Each of the guys listed - Loe, K-Rod, Veras and Parra, will probably have a good (maybe even very good) season(s) in their future. Relievers can yo yo around so much.

But all these guys have the makings of needing a change of scenery. We can probably do better. And if not better - at least cheaper.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

My bullpen for 2013

• Axford
    Henderson
    Kintzler
    Narveson
    Peralta or Rogers (one of these guys becomes a starter)
    Thornburg
    1 Free Agent (get a decent free agent reliever: Mike Adams, Jeremy Affeldt, Sean Burnett, Jason Grilli, Brandon Lyon are examples - try and get one on a two year deal - they'll probably cost at least $4 million/year)
    Mike McClendon (I'm not real confident in him, but I think he should be given a fair shake)
    Jesus Sanchez (dominated after moving to relief last year, so let's give him a shot at the pen)
    Cody Scarpetta (I believe he's out of options and we lose him. He has a lot of talent and I think it would be good to see if he can make the jump to the bigs, even after missing last year.)
    1 Free Agent reclamation/old/surprisingly unwanted guy project (bring to camp a veteran on a one year deal who is either aging and no one really wants, or is coming off injury and wants a job, or simply gets stuck and can't find a job - examples include LaTroy Hawkins and Brad Lidge - don't expect much of anything, but if you're lucky, they pan out and you get someone for cheap. Sometimes you can get lucky and sign a guy for cheap after he surprisingly cant find work).

There are a lot of guys here. But injuries will take their toll. And several of these guys are longshots. Some could get sent back to minors.

The point is to keep things cheap. Spend a little money on one more established player. But after that, go with our own young arms, and maybe add a few cheaper vets if things work out.

Archived