Brewer Fanatic

2013 Bullpen

Bombers

Of our existing guys in our bullpen, who do you keep or try to keep for next years pen?

I keep:

Axford

Henderson

Kintzler

Veras

K-rod - If you can get him for under $4 million. I think he is ok.

Narveson - would possibly be my long man.

Goodbye - Loe, Parra, Livan. I am beyond sick of seeing these 3 in a Brewers uniform.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would not include veras or k rod since both are likely to get around 4 million. We couldn't find better options for that price? I think we could get some one with a little more consistency for sure. Other than that I agree with henderson and kintzler. I would also make it clear the closer's role is an open competition in spring training.
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

closer role is not up for competition, its Axfords.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

closer role is not up for competition, its Axfords.

I agree but the Brewers need to bring in some insurance just in case Axford has another year like this year. Madson and Wilson could be available. Both will be coming off of injuries. If the Giants release Wilson this off season he should be the guy the Brewers should look at along with Madson and Howell to improve the bullpen.

I don't see Henderson or Kintzler as viable late inning relievers but they should be fine replacing Loe and Veras.

I guess I would keep Axford (due for a turnaround or a complete Turnblow experience; my money's on the former), Henderson, Kintzer, and perhaps Veras (I know he hasn't been spectacular but he's been better than Loe; plus he had career worsts in WHIP and H/9 while still pitching his 2nd best career ERA+ season. I think he'd be worth the gamble that he bounces back as well.)

I really don't see K-Rod returning to the Brewers. It could happen, yes, and I would take him but I'm just not seeing him do it unless he takes a discount or something because he knows we'll be a contender in '13.)

Otherwise, find some cheap relievers over the winter and/or the minors.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

derrick turnbow is from a union city that I thought was the one I grew up next to that is highly inbred and poor and out in the sticks PA... then I saw it was in TN. so that led to this edit.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

I would not include veras or k rod since both are likely to get around 4 million. We couldn't find better options for that price? I think we could get some one with a little more consistency for sure. Other than that I agree with henderson and kintzler. I would also make it clear the closer's role is an open competition in spring training.

Post All-Star break, Veras has a 2.40 ERA and in 30 innings has given up 20 hits and struck out 38 with a WHIP of 1.17. I'd take a gamble on that trend for $4M, and wouldn't expect a free agent to do much better. Besides, the Brewers have a lot of money coming off the books; if they don't break the bank on a starter they will have plenty of $ to gamble on the bullpen.

I'd allocate K-Rod's $8M and Loe's $2M to $4M for Veras and $6M to the two best lefties they can get.

Post All-Star break, Veras has a 2.40 ERA and in 30 innings has given up 20 hits and struck out 38 with a WHIP of 1.17. I'd take a gamble on that trend for $4M, and wouldn't expect a free agent to do much better. Besides, the Brewers have a lot of money coming off the books; if they don't break the bank on a starter they will have plenty of $ to gamble on the bullpen.

I'd allocate K-Rod's $8M and Loe's $2M to $4M for Veras and $6M to the two best lefties they can get.

I agree with Ely. Keep Veras. I think he is fine.

After further reflection, I also agree to just part ways with K-rod. So going into next season I would have Axford, Henderson, Kintzler, and Veras. The rest is all open and I would be looking to spend a decent amount to bring in some good talent. My key person to find would be a Salomen Torres type. A guy who has been successful in the pen for many years and can fill any 7 - 9 inning role. Those guys exist but you might need to throw a 2 yr 10 million contract their way.

I agree with some others that Veras hasn't been all that bad and should at least be in the conversation to bring back. I definitely think we should look towards finding a lefty who is a true loogy or has some hard stuff as opposed to our lefty option this year (Parra).

Community Moderator
Closer shopping is almost always a waste of money. Henderson and Kintzler would both be just as good at closing as anyone else on the market. Spend money on maybe one or two cheaper arms and then let everyone else duke it out in spring training.

I can't believe that Veras is getting love on this thread. Personally, he's at the top of my 'let go' list, I can't stand how the guy pitches, and I lost all patience with him by the All Star break. There is a reason that he's been on like eight teams in eight years, and he's worth nowhere near what he would get in arby. As for the other guys, I'd have no interest in bringing Loe or K-Rod back. I've about had it with Parra too. Maybe you trade him for a similar no tender candidate. The only one that I'd keep for sure from the Opening Day roster would be Axford. I'm not sure who I'd bring in, but I'd sign a couple of vets- at least one of whom has some closing experience. I'd also invite as many guys as possible to Spring Training on NRI's. Bottom line, no matter what you do, they can't be worse than they were this season.

dont they need to have Scarpetta on the MLB roster next year? isnt he out of options? theres one of your BP spots right there

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

I really don't see Scarpetta making the team out of spring training coming off TJ surgery. His BB/9 was high before the surgery and typically it takes a while to get command back after TJ surgery.

Someone might take a flier on him in the rule 5 but I doubt it, I've just never been a very big fan of him as a pitcher. However, he and his family do a ton of community work which is very admirable.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I really like Kintzler's arm. I am a fan of him and Hendu for sure.

Veras is serviceable.

I'd prefer Estrada and Narvy in the pen.

I guess we have to live with Ax but he should earn a role.

K Rod, Loe, and Parra gone for sure.

So, we need 1-2 vets to bring in, one with closing experience.

If our manager puts Estrada back in the pen after what he's shown as a starter he should be fired on the spot.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I can't believe that Veras is getting love on this thread. Personally, he's at the top of my 'let go' list, I can't stand how the guy pitches, and I lost all patience with him by the All Star break.

I totally agree with this.

He was an automatic lead-off walk followed closely by another blow up session so many times this year.

I'm done with him.

Veras, Loe and Parra have no place on this team any longer.

bye-bye

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

If our manager puts Estrada back in the pen after what he's shown as a starter he should be fired on the spot.

Agreed. What does the guy have to do to prove he is a starter?

Right now, Gallardo, Estrada, Fiers and Peralta should have starting positions locked up. 5th spot should go to Rogers if he can stay healthy, or a FA. If we bring in a free agent, let Peralta and Rogers fight it out for the 5 spot.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I dunno, if we go into next seasons with a rotation of Gallardo, Estrada, Fiers, Peralta and Rogers I think the GM should probably be fired instantly. That is such a potential disaster. That is one starter that you know what to expect from and 4 complete wild cards for various reasons. We have to bring in at least one starter and make one of those 5 a depth guy.

"I can't believe that Veras is getting love on this thread. Personally, he's at the top of my 'let go' list, I can't stand how the guy pitches, and I lost all patience with him by the All Star break. "

That's the problem, you haven't watched him since the All-Star break.

"He was an automatic lead-off walk followed closely by another blow up session so many times this year."

Statistically, he's blown one save all year. He has a 1.17 WHIP post-All-Star break over 30 innings. Only 16 of the 61 hits he has given up all season have been for extra bases (9 2B, 2 3B, 5 HR). He does not have a dramatic split between LH and RH hitters - .665 OPS-A vs RH and .724 OPS-A vs LH. If Axford, Rodriguez, and Loe had performed the way Veras has the Brewers would be in the playoffs.

Yes, he walks guys. But his stuff is so good that he doesn't give up hits, particularly extra base hits, that cause big innings.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Rotation: Gallardo, Estrada, Fiers, a free agent (how about Anibal Sanchez), and one of Peralta/Rogers/Thornburg. Instead of a free agent, you could instead trade for a guy - sort of like Pittsburg did with AJ Burnett. Maybe get someone at a cut rate by picking up salary.

Relievers: Axford, Henderson, Veras (I think he's shown enough to make me take a risk on him next year), Narveson (our new lefty in the pen), two of Peralta/Rogers/Thornburg, Kintzler and at least one decent free agent. You can also bring in me or two bargain free agents. Sometimes you can strike gold on a reclamation project.

I'd probably let Loe and Parra go. Manny just seems in need of a change of scenery. Maybe find someone who will swap us their 'change of scenery' project. Loe just looks like he's not that good, and I don't think the team trusts him.

Let K-Rod go.

Archived