Brewer Fanatic

Fiers and next year's rotation spot.

TURBO
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

He was tired

People saw more of him and adjusted

It was a bad stretch for a pitcher.

Hard to distinguish what really could be the problem here. But there is enough of a sample size to know that he can get MLB hitters out. It was his rookie season and he did a fine job. I'm sure he will be in the rotation unless he blows up in ST. We know he needs to:

- Keep his stamina up

- Adjust to hitters adjusting to him.

- Keep his pitches down and not give up high gopher balls.

That sounds like most pitchers.

I was hoping Fiers issue was a stamina problem. But there was a great quote from Lucroy citing more that there is now a better book on Fiers and that he simply needs to get lower in the strike zone and avoid the high pitch gopher balls.

Is he getting up in the zone now though because he is tired? Or was he up in the zone then and batters just didn't recognize it? He didn't seem to have that problem before mid-August. Lucroy didn't start catching him until late July/early August; Fiers had two good starts with Lucroy behind the plate but then tailed off. Is it that Lucroy doesn't know him as well as Maldonado and what his strengths/weaknesses are, and that has contributed to him tailing off? He's still striking guys out; I would say that if it is because "the book is out on him" that his strikeouts would come down.

Regardless, he has pitched well enough that a starting spot is his to lose next year. No winter ball or AFL so he will have plenty of time to rest.

Archived