Brewer Fanatic

Bianchi in 2013

SenatorShriv

It seems like there is a lot of support for Jeff Bianchi to have a spot on next year's roster. There seems to be growing consensus that he could split time with Segura or possibly handle full time duties if it is deemed Segura needs some extra time in AAA.

Following today's game Bianchi's average is at .175 and his OBP is at .217. I understand that we are looking at a small sample size, but his minor league numbers aren't incredible either. I haven't watched a ton of games with him at SS so I can't comment too much on his defense but I would think that if we are putting together a team designed to make the playoffs that we might be looking for something more out of a SS / Utility man.

Am I the only one who would like to see us explore other options in the offseason?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm sure they will go get someone else, but Bianchi should be in the consideration at least. Like Segura, he might need more MiLB time. But I'm pretty sure he will get a shot in ST.

If we can't do any better than we did last year in our backup shortstops, I'm ok with him being in the competition.

Segura will be next years starting SS, Bianchi will be there but will have competition as backup/utility, Farris and another vet brought in. I would prefer Bianchi if the options are a Ransom or Izturis type. Logan Schafer is making a strong case for being next years 4th OF.

would rather go with our system at SS next year with Segura and Bianchi and not worry so much about his slash lines since the defense has been pretty awesome compared to yu bethecant

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Segura has to tank it in the spring to not be the starting SS. Bianchi will have to compete for a utility role, which probably means having passable defense at 2B or 3B. If he lasts the entire season on the bench without getting sent down it would be considered a success.

This is his 2nd year back after a major injury and he smoked the ball in AAA. Very encouraging.

I was a big Taylor Green fan and still feel he hasn't been given a fair shake. But he doesn't play ss, is only a 1B because RR says so, and with Weeks/Aramis not going anywhere, he really doesn't have a place on the team.

Bianchi seems to be a RH version of Green, maybe with more power, but can play ss. Seems to be a perfect low cost solution as a 5th infielder. Gamel should show up with an outfielders glove in Spring training and can be the LH bench bat, filling in at all 4 corners.

Add in Schafer and Maldonado and you still have a bench spot for a Grizzled Veteran Gamer Who Plays the Game the Right Way.

This is his 2nd year back after a major injury and he smoked the ball in AAA. Very encouraging.

I was a big Taylor Green fan and still feel he hasn't been given a fair shake. But he doesn't play ss, is only a 1B because RR says so, and with Weeks/Aramis not going anywhere, he really doesn't have a place on the team.

Bianchi seems to be a RH version of Green, maybe with more power, but can play ss. Seems to be a perfect low cost solution as a 5th infielder. Gamel should show up with an outfielders glove in Spring training and can be the LH bench bat, filling in at all 4 corners.

Add in Schafer and Maldonado and you still have a bench spot for a Grizzled Veteran Gamer Who Plays the Game the Right Way.

I agree with all of this, except that I think Green is the grizzled veteran who plays the game the right way. Okay, I'm kidding about that, but the exact bench you're suggesting -- Maldonaldo/Bianchi/Green/Gamel/Schafer -- sounds perfect to me. I think the gritty veteran bench thing is a shibboleth, and I think it's especially easy to dismiss when you have our veteran starters (especially assuming Hart stays). If you can get a veteran who actually has plus skills (JHJ) then great, but getting old guys just because they're old is throwing good money after bad. So what if Bianchi doesn't hit as our backup ss? We haven't had a starting ss hit much for years, and his minor league numbers show he has at least a chance of hitting. If neither Gamel nor Green hits, that's a problem, but I'm willing to bet it won't happen.

I can't see any reason to think Bianchi is more than minor league depth next year or to be honest at any point in his career.

I can think of several.

He's young, cost controlled meaning we don't have to go out and spend even a million dollars on a Izturis type player, he was impressive defensively this year, can play SS, 2nd and 3rd base.

He's also carried a pretty good BA/OBP at every level in the minors and his career minor league numbers are .287/.343/.754

I don't know what you you really want in a utility IF'er?

If there is one thing that is encouraging and has been about this system with regard to position players it's that you have in house answers to fill out the roster. Good backup catcher, utility IF'ers, OF'ers....you should be able to fill out the bench pretty well. Schafer as a very good 4th OF'er with great speed and defense allowing Morgan to leave saving a couple million, Gamel to backup the corner spots, Maldy to back up Lucroy(at least for the time being...I've been a huge Maldonado fan, but I doubt he hits quite as well moving forward, but if he does, he'll have more value via trade). Green who can play 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and Bianchi who can do the same(I assume a SS could handle playing 1st) but also provides good offense for a backup SS.

Especially considering what we've had at Short.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Great post, greg. I'd love Green on next year's bench, except I don't think RR would ever play him. He deserves a better chance.

When and where should Green be playing right now that he isn't?

I like him as a player, but has he EARNED time over Ramirez? Would you start him over Ishi at 1st? I certainly wouldn't. He's a very good defender and a better bat at this point off the bench. And Weeks is a core piece and has played like it over the last couple months.

I mean, maybe he does "deserve," a better chance, but we're in a race...I don't where else you play him as of now other than off the bench.

And while the Aram signing might hurt a lot in 2014, you certainly would have a hard time arguing he hasn't been a great FA sign thus far and well worth the deal...

Green still deserves to be in AAA. I was a huge fan of him in the minors, but he's looked pretty awful in the majors. Maybe I just can't stand his stance. As of now I'd have Gamel, Bianchi, Maldonado, and Morgan/Gindl/Schafer as the backups. It would be a young but talented bench. Of course, Aoki could move to CF, Gamel could play RF, and Green could then fill his role. Depends on what happens with Gomez, but it would be tempting to try dealing Gomez while his value is at an all-time high and his price getting expensive.

Green still deserves to be in AAA. I was a huge fan of him in the minors, but he's looked pretty awful in the majors. Maybe I just can't stand his stance. As of now I'd have Gamel, Bianchi, Maldonado, and Morgan/Gindl/Schafer as the backups. It would be a young but talented bench. Of course, Aoki could move to CF, Gamel could play RF, and Green could then fill his role. Depends on what happens with Gomez, but it would be tempting to try dealing Gomez while his value is at an all-time high and his price getting expensive.

If you think Green deserves to be in AAA based on his major league production, then by that notion, so does Gamel. However, neither really have anywhere near enough of a sample size to be able to judge accurately. But based on minor league numbers, scouting reports, actually watching them, etc., I think both should be on the team next year. I'd actually start Gamel in either RF/1B but that's another discussion.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

If you think Green deserves to be in AAA based on his major league production, then by that notion, so does Gamel. However, neither really have anywhere near enough of a sample size to be able to judge accurately. But based on minor league numbers, scouting reports, actually watching them, etc., I think both should be on the team next year. I'd actually start Gamel in either RF/1B but that's another discussion.

I've long been a big-big Gamel fan, but with this late run and the production of the three players that figure most prominently into Gamel's potential playing time, Hart, Aoki and Gomez, all playing big roles in our late season run, and our vastly improved defense, I'm worried they're going to part ways with Gamel for a similar type arm. A guy with good minor league numbers and talent who just hasn't quite taken off or been given the opportunity to.

I'm still convinced Gamel's capable of being a .280/.360/.480-ish type player who plays very-very good defense at 1st.

I just hope it's not a situation where they look too short term and don't see a place for Gamel, so they move him. If nothing else, he could be a great utility player being able to cover all 4 corner spots and provide power off the bench. Hell, they could just stash Gamel in the minors to start the year next year and see how the 1st month plays out. His value to us is still far greater than what he'd bring back in a trade at this point in my opinion.

Bianchi seems to be a RH version of Green, maybe with more power, but can play ss.

What would lead you to believe Bianchi has more power than Green?

I wouldn't mind Bianchi as a backup infielder. I don't mind backup young players. Doen's't seem to be Melvin's MO though.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Bianchi seems to be a RH version of Green, maybe with more power, but can play ss.

What would lead you to believe Bianchi has more power than Green?

I wouldn't mind Bianchi as a backup infielder. I don't mind backup young players. Doen's't seem to be Melvin's MO though.

I think this is a little unfairly earned. It's not like we've had a lot of 25-26 year old options that where better than who we had coming in the last several years. We didn't really have guys who where ready to step in the last few years unless you count Katin..which I never did.

And Melvin has talked about how important it is to be able to bring up young players and have them fill roles on the bench several times this year on broadcasts.

He does seem to always want to go out and sign a Kotsay or a Kapler(both being decent signings IMO as Kotsay was a solid option off the bench, it wasn't his fault we decided to take a below average LF'er and play him in CF'er and spot the Cardinals a couple runs last year, that's on RR). And again, we didn't really have Schafer, Gindl or others ready to step in at the time.

I think he's going to be more inclined to go with Schafer, Maldy, Gamel(hopefully), Bianchi and maybe one vet. That vet MAY be Alex Gonzalez this next year if he'd be willing to sign for 1.5-2.0 million which seems realistic. And from what I've heard, him sticking around the team and providing leadership, he may be a valuable asset when we've got a pretty unproven, and somewhat injury prone young talented shortstop with only another young and unproven SS in our system behind him, and one who profiles as little more than a bat off the bench. That'd be a move I'd be all for. I see absolutely no reason to bring in an OF'er, or a backup 1st basemen next year though. Ishikawa should be gone, Morgan as well with Gamel and Schafer taking their spots.

Actually, I think Green deserves to be in AAA based on a few things--big league production, minor league production, and positions. Gamel produced multiple awesome seasons in the minors. Green has produced two, with several injury-plagued or ineffective years in the middle.

If Gamel starts in RF, Green should be the backup. If Gamel is a utility guy, then Green goes to AAA as great depth. After all these years of trying to build organizational depth, I don't buy into the notion that guys can't be held back in AAA for some extra seasoning. That got us in trouble when we dealt Hardy to play Escobar, then we moved Escobar a year later

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say about Hardy and Escobar? Escobar was clearly ready, he started slow and finished strong in AAA and hit when he came up to MLB. Hardy was going into his last season on an expiring contract, he wasn't going to be retained.

I'm all about organizational depth but the organization had already put the screws to Hardy to nab an extra year of service time the way it was. The Hardy/Escobar fiasco wasn't really about depth, it was about poor planning as Melvin ended up in a situation where he traded 2 MLB SS in 3 years for pieces of greater need, perceived or otherwise. There's no way to do as complicated a situation as the status of the rotation, MLB team, or farm in couple of sentences, nor do I want to sidetrack the thread with that kind of discussion.

That being said I think casting the SS situation over last 4 seasons as an organizational depth issue is a poor characterization of the situation as a whole. There was cascade of moves which came prior getting us to this point as an organization, dozens of dominoes had fallen to get us to the point we had no pitching to go with the offense. I just don't think it's accurate to cherry pick 2 players out of that entire chain and play the organizational depth card when we had organizational depth at the time Hardy was traded.

2013 would be Green's 3rd go of AAA, what's he going to learn the 3rd time through that he didn't learn the 1st or 2nd time? Green doesn't seem to have any more of a role than Farris does with this organization, both players would be better served looking to latch onto a MLB roster with a different organization. I'd much rather have the positional flexibility of Bianchi than Green (who's not a quality backup 2B) or Farris (who can only legitimately backup 2B) regardless of handedness or power potential. Let Green and Farris go which is also in their best career interests, move Gennett up AAA, and sign a depth corner IF for the AAA roster.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Great post, greg. I'd love Green on next year's bench, except I don't think RR would ever play him. He deserves a better chance.

I like him as a player, but has he EARNED time over Ramirez? Would you start him over Ishi at 1st? I certainly wouldn't. He's a very good defender and a better bat at this point off the bench. And Weeks is a core piece and has played like it over the last couple months.

I mean, maybe he does "deserve," a better chance, but we're in a race...I don't where else you play him as of now other than off the bench.

And while the Aram signing might hurt a lot in 2014, you certainly would have a hard time arguing he hasn't been a great FA sign thus far and well worth the deal...

I think you missed the point of my previous post when I indicated Green was most likely odd man out on next year's 25 man roster because, a) he doesn't play ss as Bianchi does, b) Weeks and Ramirez play every day, and c) he's really not a 1B and the Brewers have better options for 1B backup.

Green "deserves a better chance" going forward, but I don't see how he gets that chance with the Brewers. He may one of those guys Doug gives away to another organization so he gets that better chance.

The problem is that while Green might not see a lot of playing time if Ramirez goes down it would not be much fun to try and patch over that with a converted SS. Maybe if it was more than a courtesy deal and we actually received something useful in return I'd be OK with that gamble, but we've already sat on Gamel longer, so I'd hold onto Green.

I think you missed the point of my previous post when I indicated Green was most likely odd man out on next year's 25 man roster because, a) he doesn't play ss as Bianchi does, b) Weeks and Ramirez play every day, and c) he's really not a 1B and the Brewers have better options for 1B backup.

Green "deserves a better chance" going forward, but I don't see how he gets that chance with the Brewers. He may one of those guys Doug gives away to another organization so he gets that better chance.

Ahh...I got ya now. All the same, baseball is a business, and Green right now is under contract with the Brewers for the next 5 years. So despite the fact that it might not be "fair," I'm less concerned with fair than I am with making sure the Brewers have protection in case they lose a player for an extended period of time, and he also happens to play the same position as our oldest everyday player. So rather than "giving," him an opportunity with another team so he gets to play, I'd rather see him on the Brewers bench, giving us a LH'ed bat with a little power to provide insurance on Green and give Aram a day off when he needs it.

I know it sucks for Green, but he's still in the big leagues earning roughly 500K a year and, again, if he can play, he'll get his chance eventually.

• 7 months later...

i know it's hard with aramis ramirez still being eased back in as a regular player, but i'd really love to see rickie weeks benched and jeff bianchi given the shot to see what he can do with some regular playing time.

bianchi's hit in the minors . . . let's see what he can do when given the opportunity.

Archived