Brewer Fanatic

The Speed/Power Milwaukee Brewers

splitterpfj
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, we need a copy of the new CBA. I haven't found one yet. The previous CBA would probably suffice. If nothing's mentioned about international free agents, the standard rules would apply.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Thanks, Nate. :)

This is the only language I can find that's applicable (Article XX, Reserve System, p. 86):

B. Free Agency

(1) Eligibility

Following the completion of the term of his Uniform Player’s Contract, any Player with 6 or more years of Major League service who has not executed a contract for the next succeeding season shall become a free agent, subject to and in accordance with the provisions of this Section B.

This is on page 1:

…an individual Player shall be entitled to negotiate in accordance with the provisions set forth in this Agreement … Special Covenants to be included in an individual Uniform Player’s Contract, which actually or potentially provide additional benefits to the Player.

I'm not finding anything specific to international signings. Given that, for now, I'm assuming that early free agency would be negotiated as a "special covenant" providing an "additional benefit." I may have missed something, of course. :)

Aoki was not drafted, so he is not under Brewers control for the 6-year window everyone is accustomed to.

Aoki was a free agent signing, which means that he'll play out his contract, and since he'll still be under six years of service time, he'd only be eligible for arbitration after the following steps...

A player with less than six years of service time is eligible for salary arbitration if he:

1.is without a contract for the next season, AND

2.has been tendered a contract offer by his current team by the tender deadline, AND

3.cannot agree with his current team on a new contract, AND

4.meets one of the conditions below:

1.has been on a major league roster or disabled list for at least three years, OR

2.has at least two years of major league service but less than three, AND is among the top 17 percent for cumulative playing time in the majors in this class of players, AND was on an active major-league roster for at least 86 days in the previous season.

It would be hard to believe that if he has a year like this year again, that the Brewers wouldnt extend him a contract offer by the deadline.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Mike Adams was undrafted, and all Latin American players except for those from Puerto Rico are undrafted. I don't see where draft status applies.

In the arby guidelines posted, the top 17% is now the top 22%.

We should probably start a CBA topic. There's lots of interesting stuff in there.

Mike Adams was undrafted, and all Latin American players except for those from Puerto Rico are undrafted. I don't see where draft status applies.

We should probably start a CBA topic. There's lots of interesting stuff in there.

Draft status applies in the amount of years of control a team has. a team has rights to offer 1-year contracts for each of the first 6 years of service (unless bought out in extension), and that player cannot become a FA and take offers from other teams until the controlling team doesnt extend a contract during that six-year window, or they accept contracts all six years, but do not receive an extension following those 6 years.

If Aoki was drafted the brewers would control his contract for each of the next 5 seasons. during each of the first three seasons, pre-arb years, the player gets a set contract amount, to which they can accept/decline. Once the pre-arb are done they get arbitration years, and depending how quickly they accrued time in the majors in their first two seasons, they could have up to 4 years of arbitration (Super2), as long as the controlling team offers it. If the brewers at any time decline to offer Aoki a contract he would then be a free agent. Most often what happens is those players get traded off so they don't lose arbitration/control years

Aoki was not drafted, he was offered a free agent contract by the Brewers for two years and an option year. When Aoki ends next year, Aoki will be a free agent and allowed to take contracts from anyone, as long as the brewers have not offered him an extension that he accepted.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

also, would love a CBA discussion thread, im getting my masters in Employment Labor Relations, basically CBA administration/writing/blahblahblah

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Draft status applies in the amount of years of control a team has. a team has rights to offer 1-year contracts for each of the first 6 years of service (unless bought out in extension), and that player cannot become a FA and take offers from other teams until the controlling team doesnt extend a contract during that six-year window, or they accept contracts all six years, but do not receive an extension following those 6 years.

If Aoki was drafted the brewers would control his contract for each of the next 5 seasons. during each of the first three seasons, pre-arb years, the player gets a set contract amount, to which they can accept/decline. Once the pre-arb are done they get arbitration years, and depending how quickly they accrued time in the majors in their first two seasons, they could have up to 4 years of arbitration (Super2), as long as the controlling team offers it. If the brewers at any time decline to offer Aoki a contract he would then be a free agent. Most often what happens is those players get traded off so they don't lose arbitration/control years

Aoki was not drafted, he was offered a free agent contract by the Brewers for two years and an option year. When Aoki ends next year, Aoki will be a free agent and allowed to take contracts from anyone, as long as the brewers have not offered him an extension that he accepted.

Right, but has any of that changed since the new CBA went into effect? Cot's has crib notes on the previous CBA as well as a link to the full CBA.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Right, but has any of that changed since the new CBA went into effect? Cot's has crib notes on the previous CBA as well as a link to the full CBA.

no, ive read over the new CBA and that was my interpretation of the contract. This all could change and be amended once they implement the International Draft, but that wont happen until 2014 at the earliest.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

there were changes in time frames during the offseason to speed everything up, there werent any real changes to the length of control, or terms of control to drafted players and free agent player.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Archived