Brewer Fanatic

Aramis Ramirez --- Hall of Fame?

pogokat

I don't think Aram is a hall of famer if he retired today, but a glance at his numbers, a consideration of his position, and his trajectory for the rest of his career makes him look like a pretty solid Hall of Fame candidate...

what do you think/

Not even close. He'd have to do what he's done for at least another 6 years and probably more like 8 years to approach candidacy. He's never been the best player in the league at his position (except for maybe this year), only has 2 all-star appearances and his highest finish in the MVP race is 10th (twice). He's never even been in the top 5 in the league in any batting category. Still, he's been consistently very good.

A lot of this is probably due to him being a notoriously poor starter (thus few all-star games) and being on mostly bad teams (thus no MVP votes), but he still needs to have a great year or two for a great team in order to put him in the discussion.

I looked the OPS+s of Hall of Fame third basemen a few years ago when Ron Santo was passed over, and Ron's 125 was in the middle of the pack. Ramírez is currently at 116; I don't know where that fits in.

Santo's career was 15 years long, the same as Ramírez right now. If Ramírez can improve on his overall numbers, he's probably worthy of consideration. However, a little birdie tells me that it might be a tough row to hoe.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

ARam is in the Fred McGriff/Dale Murphy category for me. Certainly a feared hitter for his era, not necessarily a media darling, frontrunners for the Hall of Very Good. However, I'm weird with HOF stuff, as ridiculous as his counting numbers are, I've never thought of Jim Thome as a Hall of Famer.

I've heard Adrian Beltre brought up as a possible HoF'er, and he's an OPS+ of 114, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

With Beltre, you can make a legitimate argument that he's been the best 3B defender in MLB over the course of his career. Ramirez certainly isn't a liability with the glove, but he's nowhere near the caliber of Beltre.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I've heard Adrian Beltre brought up as a possible HoF'er, and he's an OPS+ of 114, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

With Beltre, you can make a legitimate argument that he's been the best 3B defender in MLB over the course of his career. Ramirez certainly isn't a liability with the glove, but he's nowhere near the caliber of Beltre.

If the writers cared about anything other than batting average, homeruns, RBI, and stolen bases, Dwight Evans would have been in the HOF before Jim Rice.

I looked the OPS+s of Hall of Fame third basemen a few years ago when Ron Santo was passed over, and Ron's 125 was in the middle of the pack. Ramírez is currently at 116; I don't know where that fits in.

Santo's career WAR is 66.6... Ramirez is 27.4

Archived