Brewer Fanatic

Get Rogers throwing?

rickh150

I was all for Rogers being shut down. Keep him healthy and fresh for next season. Now, I'm not so sure.

It would really be nice having him down the stretch. If Marcum continues with his struggles, Rogers would look better right now in the rotation. If that's out of the question, it would be nice to have him in the pen for the 6th or 7th inning, even extra innings.

Hypothetical question:

It is my understanding that Peralta is not currently eligible for the playoff roster. However, if we were to DL Rogers, who was on the 25 man roster before September, Peralta could then be declared playoff eligible as a replacement for Rogers, correct?

Thanks. To stick to the original topic, I would probably prefer doing that (DL'ing Rogers and replacing him with Peralta) than reactivating Rogers.

Rogers is currently too high risk IMO to consider starting up again. We've finally got him healthy, I'm worried of the potential consequences of starting him back up again after two weeks off.

At this point, I think both Gallardo and Marcum pretty much have to be in the playoff rotation, should it come to that. With only 120 IP or so, Estrada could probably be the third man in the rotation. I think Estrada would be a better bet than Rogers in the postseason anyway, so I don't think I see reason to try and bring him back, even for bullpen duty.

The bigger question to me is what to do about Fiers. It'll be interesting to see if they bump him up a few innings.

I've also read that about age 26–27. If a pitcher is at or beyond those ages, there's much less risk of injury due to overextending him. I don't think that conflicts with what TheCrew07 points out, though. It's just what the stats say. :)

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

At this point, I think both Gallardo and Marcum pretty much have to be in the playoff rotation, should it come to that. With only 120 IP or so, Estrada could probably be the third man in the rotation. I think Estrada would be a better bet than Rogers in the postseason anyway, so I don't think I see reason to try and bring him back, even for bullpen duty.

The bigger question to me is what to do about Fiers. It'll be interesting to see if they bump him up a few innings.

Why does Marcum pretty much have to be on it? I see no reason for him to be on it. If he's pitching like your fifth best pitcher, then I don't care about his status. This team has gotten to where it is on the backs on the young arms, and the big bats(And the pen pitching like they should have been all year long).

I'm not ready to hand over a spot to a guy who's looked like the 5th best starter we have by a long shot as of late(unless he gets it going) and more importantly, was AWFUL last year in the playoffs which again, I attribute to the fact that I think it's a lot harder to get by with 87 MPH stuff in the post-season than the regular season.

With regard to Rogers, I'm more apt to make him a reliever in the post-season, not a starter. If we made it, I'd go with a Gallardo/Fiers/Estrada/Peralta rotation and with those three after Yo, your game plan has to be to try and get 5-6 GOOD innings out of them, then go to the pen. Rogers, Loe, Henderson, K-Rod, Axford and to lesser degrees....Parra(who is the the most frustrating pitcher on the team with as dominating as he can be if he can just-throw-strike-one).

But no, no Marcum. We're playing with house money. Why stop rolling the dice with them and go back to the guy who was a part of getting us into debt, first last years post-season, second this years injury, third his performance since returning, and fourth, c'mon, we get in, we're not winning any world series, but man would it be huge to get Rogers, Peralta, Henderson and this entire team some playoff experiance, and it'd be huge for bringing in players next year. They see that we made our run on the backs of young talented pitchers like Peralta, Rogers, Henderson, guys like Bianchi and moreso Segura, Lucroy and Maldonado and I think we're a much more desirable destination next year.

I do suspect that Marcum would get a start, I just don't think he should.

By the way, what happened to Tyler Thornburg. I've been paying pretty close attention and haven't heard why he hasn't gotten a start, or at least some BP innings. I know his innings where up, but that's why he was only throwing 4 Innings in Nashville, so he'd be able to throw some up here. I'd also love to see him coming out of the pen throwing 96-97. It'd further that same agenda of doing it with the young guys.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I've read that once a guy is mature by around 26-27 there's a lot less risk for long term injury from throwing a lot of high stress pitches. I don't know if Fiers' high overhead delivery causes more stress on his shoulder or elbow though?

Yeah, I've seen that a couple places as well. I don't know how Fiers delivery relates to his long term health, but I think the point is, good mechanics, bad mechanics, a pitcher is less fragile once they reach 26-28, and handling a pitcher that age is significantly different than one who's 21-22. A Peralta for example, although his injuries aren't much of a concern.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Too much risk for the potential reward in re-starting Rogers. Marcum has to stay in the rotation, if he can pitch we need him to play. He's got a new contract on the line, he hasn't thrown too many innings, and he's got the second most experience so we have to live and die with him down the stretch. The Fiers situation is the interesting case. We need him to win games, he's older, and he doesn't throw particularly hard so there may be a little leeway. If we were out of it he's probably already shut down, but we might have to go with the risk and just be smart about limiting his pitch counts.

The big question is what's up with Marcum right now. Last year in the playoffs he was pretty clearly gassed. If right now he's still working off rust, then he could be revved up and fresh for the playoffs. But if he's fatigued from the injury recovery, then we have a problem.

If we knew at the end of July that we'd be where we are right now -- at the fringe of the playoff race -- would we have traded Greinke? (I don't think anyone but maybe JohnBriggs thinks we got better because we traded Greinke.) I think I would, as of today, but it's a closer call than I ever could have imagined.

... was AWFUL last year in the playoffs which again, I attribute to the fact that I think it's a lot harder to get by with 87 MPH stuff in the post-season than the regular season.

Because the playoffs have better hitters in general? If that's true, you are suggesting that lower velocity pitchers have a greater spread than higher ones. Meaning, if you take two 4.0 ERA pitchers, the one with lower velocity will perform better against crappier hitters than the higher velocity ones. I have seen no evidence of that and it really doesn't even pass the smell test, does it?

I also agree about not having Marcum on the postseason rotation, though not for the same reasons...I am less concerned with velocity as to his performance since coming back from injury. Frankly, he's just not one of our best 3 starters right now.

But if we're worried about stater velocity for the playoffs, the same concerns apply to Fiers, and I think Fiers certainly needs to be a part of our playoff pitching staff in some capacity.

I'm okay with Estrada being a playoff starter, I'm okay with some sort of piggyback combination of Estrada/Peralta/Marcum, whatever they think is best. Really the only thing that matters for a playoff game is to try to piece together the 9 most effective innings that you can to get you to the next game, so I don't really care how they do that.

Archived