Brewer Fanatic

Brewers claim another De Los Santos (Miguel, for $1) -- Latest: It's finally over, Brewers release "Man of Mystery"

brewmann04

This is a rather nice pick up. If he can ever figure out how to effectively control his stuff he could be a good late inning reliever. He does have a rather good K/9 at 10.7 K/9 and it would put him around the top 5-10 pitchers in the system with that stat. The walks are really the biggest concern for him but at age 24 he still has some time to mature yet. I find this rather odd that the Rangers let him go as he is still young yet and he has some good pitches it is just his control that is bad.

A nice scouting report on De Los Santos: http://www.lonestarball.com/2012/2/21/2813063/miguel-de-los-santos-scouting-report

i presume he'll have two minor league options left, as it looks like his contract was purchasedbefore this season. i am assuming that was the first time he was added to a mlb 40-man roster.

Actually, Miguel De Los Santos was added to the 40-man roster just prior to the Rule 5 draft in December 2010 (Baseball America link). So he was optioned in both 2011 and 2012, making 2013 his final option year. Still a very nice get -- 40-man roster flexibility is always a very good thing.

Why former Ranger Miguel De Los Santos could be the best dollar the Brewers ever spent

By Jerry Fraley, DallasNews.com

If former Rangers prospect Miguel De Los Santos does anything for Milwaukee, it will be the best dollar the Brewers ever spent.

Milwaukee obtained De Los Santos, a left-hander, from the Rangers on a waiver claim. The Rangers removed De Los Santos from the major league roster on Aug. 31 to clear a spot for Profar.

Ordinarily, the Rangers would have tried to keep De Los Santos in the organization by putting him on outright waivers. A team that claimed De Los Santos would have paid $20,000 to the Rangers. They picked up $60,000 on three previous claims this year.

The Rangers had put De Los Santos on “trade” waivers earlier in the month and pulled him back when an unidentified club made a claim. Because of the earlier move, the Rangers were prohibited by the rules from putting De Los Santos on outright waivers in this period. The only way to remove him from the 40-man roster was by release waivers.

The difference is $19,999.

The payment for adding a player on release waivers is only $1. The Brewers got a bargain.

How the hell does this work? Do the owners just "remember?" Like at the owners meeting in December next to the vending machine, does Nolan kinda coughs and says to Mark A, "ahem....you know..Mark...you still owe me that dollar from Sept?"

Do they actually send a check for one dollar, or is it just a formality. I just find the idea of guys worth a billion or nearly a billion dollars writing a one dollar check....

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• 4 months later...
This is a rather nice pick up. If he can ever figure out how to effectively control his stuff he could be a good late inning reliever. He does have a rather good K/9 at 10.7 K/9 and it would put him around the top 5-10 pitchers in the system with that stat. The walks are really the biggest concern for him but at age 24 he still has some time to mature yet. I find this rather odd that the Rangers let him go as he is still young yet and he has some good pitches it is just his control that is bad.

A nice scouting report on De Los Santos: http://www.lonestarball.com/2012/2/21/2813063/miguel-de-los-santos-scouting-report

Why former Ranger Miguel De Los Santos could be the best dollar the Brewers ever spent

By Jerry Fraley, DallasNews.com

If former Rangers prospect Miguel De Los Santos does anything for Milwaukee, it will be the best dollar the Brewers ever spent.

Milwaukee obtained De Los Santos, a left-hander, from the Rangers on a waiver claim. The Rangers removed De Los Santos from the major league roster on Aug. 31 to clear a spot for Profar.

Ordinarily, the Rangers would have tried to keep De Los Santos in the organization by putting him on outright waivers. A team that claimed De Los Santos would have paid $20,000 to the Rangers. They picked up $60,000 on three previous claims this year.

The Rangers had put De Los Santos on “trade” waivers earlier in the month and pulled him back when an unidentified club made a claim. Because of the earlier move, the Rangers were prohibited by the rules from putting De Los Santos on outright waivers in this period. The only way to remove him from the 40-man roster was by release waivers.

The difference is $19,999.

The payment for adding a player on release waivers is only $1. The Brewers got a bargain.

Via Adam McCalvy:

Only three players on the big-league camp roster ware expected to be limited at the start: Hart, left-hander Miguel De Los Santos (shoulder) and infielder Hector Gomez (groin). The Brewers claimed De Los Santos off waivers from the Rangers in September knowing he had a shoulder issue.

“We decided we’d rather get him fixed now and get it over with instead of going into the season wondering when he’s going to break down,” Ash said. “He should be back by July.”

Miguel De Los Santos career stats

I believe this means the Brewers will need to carry De Los Santos on the major league disabled list (unless he is sneaked off the 40-man roster at some point).

De Los Santos seemingly would be a candidate for the 60-day once the Brewers are allowed to place him on that list (I believe ten days before the regular season begins).

That would allow the Brewers to add one of their non-roster camp invites to the 40-man for the start of the season.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Do they actually send a check for one dollar, or is it just a formality. I just find the idea of guys worth a billion or nearly a billion dollars writing a one dollar check....

Nah... Mark A just walked down to the vending machine and stuck in a $5 bill to buy a Mountain Dew. Then he took one of the Susan B. Anthony dollars from the change and mailed it in. ;)

• 4 months later...

i'm trying to recall the circumstances as to why miguel de los santos was placed on the restricted list. was it because of visa issues and not being able to enter this country and pitch?

last we knew, he was out until at least july with the shoulder issue. assuming he's ready to pitch by then one would assume that the brewers can't keep him on the restricted list for much longer . . .

• 1 month later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff
De los Santos had passport issues and then had shoulder surgery, making his status somewhat enigmatic.

I believe Mass Haas was planning to follow up with the Brewers about de los Santos, if he hasn't already.

Actually, I tweeted out a hint to the beat guys to follow-up, but I should follow up directly.

• 4 months later...

per a tweet from adam mccalvy today, i learned that his restricted status was due to not being able to verify his age and identity. i only recall knowing that he was on the restricted list due to visa issues.

it's now pretty clear that he has visa issues because he's actually a player to be named later.

per a tweet from adam mccalvy today, i learned that his restricted status was due to not being able to verify his age and identity. i only recall knowing that he was on the restricted list due to visa issues.

it's now pretty clear that he has visa issues because he's actually a player to be named later.

I see what you did there.

Archived