Brewer Fanatic

2012-09-09 Brewers (Marcum) at Cardinals (Kelly), 1:15 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 5-4, 10 innings]

pretendastronaut
Really tough loss, but there is still hope. That said, it's a little more daunting knowing the schedule we have coming up and comparing it to what the Phillies have.

Many make such a big deal about who the remaining opponents are but in baseball, that is of secondary concern. For any given day, the Brewers may have a 50% chance of beating an average team and a 45% chance of beating a good one. Unless you get to play the Astros every day, it just doesn't make much of a difference.

The Brewers coming back to make the playoffs is daunting because of how many teams are ahead of them and how few games are left. The Brewers took 2 of 3 from the Cardinals but the odds of them making the playoffs went down. BP puts the odds at 0% (rounded to the nearest .1% I assume).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really tough loss, but there is still hope. That said, it's a little more daunting knowing the schedule we have coming up and comparing it to what the Phillies have.

Many make such a big deal about who the remaining opponents are but in baseball, that is of secondary concern. For any given day, the Brewers may have a 50% chance of beating an average team and a 45% chance of beating a good one. Unless you get to play the Astros every day, it just doesn't make much of a difference.

The Brewers coming back to make the playoffs is daunting because of how many teams are ahead of them and how few games are left. The Brewers took 2 of 3 from the Cardinals but the odds of them making the playoffs went down. BP puts the odds at 0% (rounded to the nearest .1% I assume).

No, I agree with you completely, but at the same time the Braves are a pretty solid team and on a roll of their own. That was my only point. That said, I'd rather play a team H2H that is ahead of us in the standings...a game with added significance in making up ground.

And yes, the Phils get the Marlins, but even if they win those games it could literally 'do nothing' for them in terms of making up actual ground.

Archived